Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Abused Matadors

User Info Menu

Default Poor Abused Matadors

Here is a set of abused congas that I rescued. Their in a better home now where I will do my best to bring them back to their original condition (You'd think I was talking about a puppy ) The quinto's head is slightly out of round on the side that was tightened down more than the rest and was way to tight! It is a perfect example of why conga heads should be tightened evenly and de-tuned. The quinto's head was almost complete black form years of who knows what, I had to clean it for now with Clorox cleanup. The shells are riddled with dings and scratches. I think there will be some re-finishing with theses baby's.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Poor Abused Matadors

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Here is a set of abused congas that I rescued. Their in a better home now where I will do my best to bring them back to their original condition (You'd think I was talking about a puppy ) The quinto's head is slightly out of round on the side that was tightened down more than the rest and was way to tight! It is a perfect example of why conga heads should be tightened evenly and de-tuned. The quinto's head was almost complete black form years of who knows what, I had to clean it for now with Clorox cleanup. The shells are riddled with dings and scratches. I think there will be some re-finishing with theses baby's.
    L4C
    Did you know I was looking for a matching Tumba?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

I think I remember you mentioning that BC, I must be getting old, but I will keep an eye out. This pair is a quinto and a conga. Is the finish similar to yours? For some reason I see alot of the blue Matadors for sale for cheap around here, $300 and under for a pair.
    I will let you know if one comes up.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Other than the scratches and nicks they appear to be in rather good shape , meaning nothing major . It seems like they were used to gig alot , Im thinking just tossed in the trunk with no cases for transport . Good job on the rescue L4C .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Luv4congas, it looks like you'll be applying some significant elbow grease over the next few months to complete a restoration of those congas, but I know you'll be up to the task because you can already see their beauty. Now you'll just have to match them to what you can see! I can't wait to see how this turns out!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Is the finish similar to yours?
    L4C
    Identical.

User Info Menu

Thanks Pastor Bob, I will do my best and yes your right, I do have a vision of what they’ll look like, I’m thinking about giving them a matted finish instead of the high gloss look that all Lp’s have. Gonefishin what the pic doesn’t show is the small little dings you get from banging the lugs into the other drum. There’s so many that it looks similar to orange peel. I’m not to sure if it’s cool to mention this but the drums smelled kinda funny and when I took the heads off there was what looked like pot that had been wedged in between the rims and the heads. Theses drums must have had some pretty interesting rumbas!
    L4C

User Info Menu

I finally got em stripped, patched and sanded. Lp put a heck of a finish on theses baby's that didn't want to come off without a fight in some places, even with second coat of extra strong stripper! Pastor_Bob you weren't kidding about the elbow grease! With all that work and still more to come it only seems appropriate to top em off with some quality skins and a nice finish so the Minwax is on the bench and the mule is in the mail.....Yup!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Wow, what a great start on a whole new life! Looking good L4C.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I finally got em stripped, patched and sanded. Lp put a heck of a finish on theses baby's that didn't want to come off without a fight in some places, even with second coat of extra strong stripper! Pastor_Bob you weren't kidding about the elbow grease! With all that work and still more to come it only seems appropriate to top em off with some quality skins and a nice finish so the Minwax is on the bench and the mule is in the mail.....Yup!
    L4C
    LOOKING GOOD !
    What wood are they? A matted finish is great. But, if you've managed to get all the 'dings-n-scratches' sanded down and the wood is non-pourus, have you thought about a high-gloss varathane (6 or so coats) water-based (easier to apply)? Do you remember my Valjes? They are red oad, very pourus, and they came out looking smashing - and the Mothers Carnauba Wax topped them off perfectly! If yours are made of a non-pourus wood they would come out looking even better. Just a thought.

What a transformation for those drums. Whatever you decide on they'll be some nice looking drums when you're finished.

I can appreciate the elbo grease there man

Looks like a fun project.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    LOOKING GOOD !
    What wood are they? A matted finish is great. But, if you've managed to get all the 'dings-n-scratches' sanded down and the wood is non-pourus, have you thought about a high-gloss varathane (6 or so coats) water-based (easier to apply)? Do you remember my Valjes? They are red oad, very pourus, and they came out looking smashing - and the Mothers Carnauba Wax topped them off perfectly! If yours are made of a non-pourus wood they would come out looking even better. Just a thought.

What a transformation for those drums. Whatever you decide on they'll be some nice looking drums when you're finished.

I can appreciate the elbo grease there man

Looks like a fun project.
    Thanks Gone_fishing, thanks Kona….Their Lp Matadors that looked like someone rolled them down a hill on their sides. Their made of Siam Oak, I went pretty deep with the sander but a lot of the dings were too deep so I stopped and I only patched the deep gouges. I like the Idea of a high gloss finish but would the imperfections show more? Maybe I’ll stop at two coats and see what it looks like. And Kona , how could I forget about the nicest set of Valjes around.

L4C
    Last edited by luv4congas; 07-08-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: public school

User Info Menu

The process of transformation is very intriguing to me. I love my Matadors... and I'm happy to see your set get a makeover.
    What stain color are you going to choose?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    The process of transformation is very intriguing to me. I love my Matadors... and I'm happy to see your set get a makeover.
    What stain color are you going to choose?
    Minwax Red Mahogany which is turning out more dark brown and with my first coat I can already see my sanding marks but that's Ok as long as their sealed. I'm no a professional re-finisher but I'll do what I can to make em better than they were. I'm glad to here you like Matadors BC because there are alot of conguero who are very fond Matadors. They love to refinish them, buy brand hardware and finish them off with new Matador traditional rim which makes em look really nice!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks Gone_fishing, thanks Kona….Their Lp Matadors that looked like someone rolled them down a hill on their sides. Their made of Siam Oak, I went pretty deep with the sander but a lot of the dings were too deep so I stopped and I only patched the deep gouges. I like the Idea of a high gloss finish but would the imperfections show more? Maybe I’ll stop at two coats and see what it looks like. And Kona , how could I forget about the nicest set of Valjes around.

L4C
    Siam Oak (Asian Oak, Thai Oak) - the Rubber Tree - Hevea Brasiliensis, native of Brazil. From what I've read about it it's not an easy wood to work with but there are a lot of drums made with this wood.
    I would just sand it down nicely and HIGH-GLOSS it the best I could. I wouldn't worry about any of the imperfections you can't get out. The drum will look "kickin" when it's finished (take your time with the coats). You may already know lots about finishing but it doesn't hurt to go onto a woodworkers forum and ask some questions - there's always something to learn.
    I don't know about "nicest set of Valjes around" but they are pretty nice alright. Thanks.

I'm sure you'll be keeping us posted with the project. Looking forward to it.

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Siam Oak (Asian Oak, Thai Oak) - the Rubber Tree - Hevea Brasiliensis, native of Brazil. From what I've read about it it's not an easy wood to work with but there are a lot of drums made with this wood.
    I would just sand it down nicely and HIGH-GLOSS it the best I could. I wouldn't worry about any of the imperfections you can't get out. The drum will look "kickin" when it's finished (take your time with the coats). You may already know lots about finishing but it doesn't hurt to go onto a woodworkers forum and ask some questions - there's always something to learn.
    I don't know about "nicest set of Valjes around" but they are pretty nice alright. Thanks.

I'm sure you'll be keeping us posted with the project. Looking forward to it.

Kona
    Thanks Kona, that's good info! I'm not too worried about it, like everyone I have much bigger fish to fry around here. I must say what gave me the bug to refinish is the "make over" thread on congaplace.com. Some of the drums looked like they took new drums and re-finished them plus bought all new hardware to replace their already new hardware although the transformations are beautiful. Theirs also a Matador makeover thread with amazing transformation pictures.
    L4C

User Info Menu

I must say what gave me the bug to refinish is the "make over" thread on congaplace.com. Some of the drums looked like they took new drums and re-finished them plus bought all new hardware to replace their already new hardware although the transformations are beautiful. Theirs also a Matador makeover thread with amazing transformation pictures.
    L4C
    Thanks for this - I'll be checking it out.

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

Kind of reminds me of Error's rescue of a drumset that was in a fire!! Great job!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Here is a set of abused congas that I rescued. Their in a better home now where I will do my best to bring them back to their original condition (You'd think I was talking about a puppy ) The quinto's head was almost complete black form years of who knows what. The shells are riddled with dings and scratches.
    L4C
    It would be interesting to know exactly how these beauties got banged up so bad (bar fight? poor tear-down jobs? etc etc). Maybe Bryan "Brain" Mantia (Primus and other) got hold of them at one time .
    Could be some interesting history there don't you think?

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

It would be interesting to know exactly how these beauties got banged up so bad (bar fight? poor tear-down jobs? etc etc). Maybe Bryan "Brain" Mantia (Primus and other) got hold of them at one time .
    Could be some interesting history there don't you think?

Kona
    Maybe Bat fight? It's hard to say, they did smell like beer! Defenetly giged alot and of course I was told all the great ones played them, (Aren't they all) Typically congas that are giged alot the skins are always over streched and never de-tuned. Funny thing is it does someting to the skin when their over streched, they always sound pretty nice.

User Info Menu

luv4congas,

Don't you just love the weight and solid feel of the Matadors? Just curious...

User Info Menu

Oh yah BC, I like Matadors but after looking at the picture thread I think I like yours better! Very Clean This refinishing stuff is hard work! My garage is not detached and my family has been complaining about the smell plus I think I loss some brain cells from the polyurethane and thinner. Here's where I'm at now with one more coat to go which will make three total.

User Info Menu

Looking good there!
    Gary

User Info Menu

Oh yah BC, I like Matadors but after looking at the picture thread I think I like yours better! Very Clean This refinishing stuff is hard work! My garage is not detached and my family has been complaining about the smell plus I think I loss some brain cells from the polyurethane and thinner. Here's where I'm at now with one more coat to go which will make three total.
    Its been a while since I visited this thread and WOW........what a difference .Great job so far ,they do look much better and you will enjoy playing them more knowing the work you went thru and what they originally looked like .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Poor Abused Matadors

L4C, you can't call them "poor abused Matadors" any more! When you're done with those bad boys, they're gonna look so great you may not want to play them at all! But when you do, ROCK 'EM OUT WITH PRIDE, MAN!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks Kona, thanks gonefishin, Bongobro your right, they went from poor abused to pampered, massaged, manicured and fed with a silver spoon!
    L4C