Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Lessons...

User Info Menu

Post Drum Lessons...

For a while, i've been thinking alot about giving private drum lessons. The only thing i can't figure out is the amount to charge for the lesson. i was thinking somewhere around the area of 20-25 for an hour and 15 for half. would that be too much or too little, or should i charge something else?
    !!!PROG-METAL!!!
    GO UTEP MINERS!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Lessons...

I currently pay $25/half hour, so if you are charging that much, you will probably get a lot of hits. You need to ask yourself a couple of questions. First, how much is your time worth to you? Second, are you charging so little that you will have to raise your rates in a year or two? Try and find that balance and you'll be solid.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_drum_theater351 View Post
    For a while, i've been thinking alot about giving private drum lessons. The only thing i can't figure out is the amount to charge for the lesson. i was thinking somewhere around the area of 20-25 for an hour and 15 for half. would that be too much or too little, or should i charge something else?
    I wish you lived around here. For that price i would definately tke lessons from ya. Heck i just wish someone around here would start giveing lessons. I live in a small town of about 4,000 people so finding someone here that gives lessons or even plays an instrument is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

User Info Menu

I currently pay $85/month for 1/2 hr once a week, and around here they tend to be in the range of $85 - $100 for that amount of time.

User Info Menu

LDT, it all depends on how you feel about your skills. If you want to give lessons through a music store, you should be prepared to go with the going rate. In my area it's about $20 per 1/2 hour.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I charge $15 for half and $25 for an hour personally. For now anyways, i figured i could start there and as i get busier and more inquires i'll raise my prices. I'll of course give my current students plenty of warnight though.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I would say it all depends on your skill level. my lessons are taught by a professional drummer who graduated with a degree in percussion from Berklee and he endorses Pearl drums. I pay $50/hr. I go every other week for 1 hr

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I am paying 60 dlrs a month or 15 a half hour. He's been drumming for 28 yrs.

User Info Menu

I charge $125 an hour for drum lessons.

Maybe that's why I don't have any students.

User Info Menu

Something tells me that your calendar would be full of students if you wanted that Drummer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I pay $45 ($28 USD) for a half hour lesson.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I paid 35 for half an hour.

User Info Menu

really? da teachers get paid That much???
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I pay 25 for a half hour or 100 a month. My techer has been playing drums for 27 years. He also is in a local band and still gigs reguarly as well as doing some studio work here and there.

User Info Menu

well, i've been playing for about three years and am at a intermediate-to-advanced skill level. to give you an idea of the way i play, alot of my friends call me "mike portnoy jr.", although i'm no where near his level. with the number of years experience in mind, is that a good price range? (20-25/hr, 15/half)
    !!!PROG-METAL!!!
    GO UTEP MINERS!!!

User Info Menu

$25/hr seems very fair to me

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Damn...at current exchange rates I'm paying $56 (€40) an hour...

User Info Menu

I'm just wondering with only 3 yrs. exp, what is it that you would/could offer and what is that worth? Not knocking you at all, but I would think when looking for a teacher the first thing people would want is someone experienced.How long could someone take lessons from you before they advance to a point that you don't have the exp. to teach them past a certain point?Again I'm not trying to knock you down or anything,but to charge $25 for a hr. with the 3 yrs. exp. you have is a bit much.

User Info Menu

While the rate is much cheaper than around me (or probably zzzdanz), he makes a good point. You have to consider that your competition is music school grads and more experienced drummers.

You might need to undercut on price to compete.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

CB, how much did you expect?

User Info Menu

that's the thing i'm wondering about. i don't know what people will think of me because of my years experience. although i believe i have alot to offer (don't mean to sound prideful), i'm personally still learning too. what do you think is a good, i guess, list of the things a drummer must know about and how to play in order to be qualified to teach???
    !!!PROG-METAL!!!
    GO UTEP MINERS!!!

User Info Menu

I would like to point out that I wouldn't hire a teacher that had been playing for less then around ten years, unless has the highest recommendations from other music teachers. That said, I think you should start with a lower price until you get more experience with the drums and with teaching.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I charge $125 an hour for drum lessons.

Maybe that's why I don't have any students.
    lol. No offense, but that's funny and pathetic.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWithTheCrapSet View Post
    CB, how much did you expect?
    Well I'm seeing people charging for about 80-100 an hour. I was kinda thinking about 20 or so dollars.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

I used to have drum lessons for £16 an hour, about 25$ i would say. But yes i would agree with some of the other posters, i dont think you have been playing long enough to charge alot. No knocking you but i think alot of the stuff people go to have lessons for is stuff that that person must have also been taught (if that makes sense :s) But good luck with it, sounds like a good venture to me