Thread: A few questions

User Info Menu

Default A few questions

Hey guys.

Would would the audio quality be like if I got two room mics and recorded my drum kit? Singer's microphones, by the way.

And also, would would I record the drums onto? I know it goes through the mixer, and then what does it go into? My computer is rooms away, and I don't have a laptop.

Also, would Pinstripes and EC2's be an alright combo for recording with? Pinstripes = batter, EC2's = reso.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Default Re: A few questions

as far as mics go .....you will need condenser mics as over heads i have no idea what Singer's are sounds cheep

record straight into a sound card is the easy option ..... if you do get a cheep pair of condenser mics you will need phantom power on the mixer or sound card

besides that it's pritty much straight forward

........and ec'2 for resheads ...i don't know about that.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    as far as mics go .....you will need condenser mics as over heads i have no idea what Singer's are sounds cheep

record straight into a sound card is the easy option ..... if you do get a cheep pair of condenser mics you will need phantom power on the mixer or sound card

besides that it's pritty much straight forward

........and ec'2 for resheads ...i don't know about that.....
    Thanks Itchie.

Singer's microphones = microphones that singers use lol, got a few of those.

And my older brother has some condenser mics.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Ok, let me make sure I have this straight. Two "singer mics". I would assume SM57 or something along those lines. Also what will be your interface with the computer? THat will dictate if you need a mixer. If you are using an ADAT with a light pipe interfaced with software such as cubase or ableton, vs any M-audio interfaces, vs Digi hardware interfaced with pro tools. I guess if you want to do it on the cheap one way would be a small behringer mixing board with your two mics coming in and and a single out to you computer input port beside your headphone port and allow your computer to do the audio/digital conversion ( you will loose a ton of fidelity) and use software like garageband to record to.

Now, two mics will have a few problems as well. I assuming you are going to use them as overheads which will want to shove the cymbals and Hihat right into your face and dominate the mix particularly for the room you described. If I were you if you could find a few more mics you would be in the game. A dedicated bass and snare mic with two overheads would do well for what you are wanting. And like itchie said if you could hunt down a couple of condenser mics for the overheads you would be amazed at how much better it would be sonically. Anyway, it is doable, just do your homework, and oh, use really long cables to reach your computer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Ok, let me make sure I have this straight. Two "singer mics". I would assume SM57 or something along those lines. Also what will be your interface with the computer? THat will dictate if you need a mixer. If you are using an ADAT with a light pipe interfaced with software such as cubase or ableton, vs any M-audio interfaces, vs Digi hardware interfaced with pro tools. I guess if you want to do it on the cheap one way would be a small behringer mixing board with your two mics coming in and and a single out to you computer input port beside your headphone port and allow your computer to do the audio/digital conversion ( you will loose a ton of fidelity) and use software like garageband to record to.

Now, two mics will have a few problems as well. I assuming you are going to use them as overheads which will want to shove the cymbals and Hihat right into your face and dominate the mix particularly for the room you described. If I were you if you could find a few more mics you would be in the game. A dedicated bass and snare mic with two overheads would do well for what you are wanting. And like itchie said if you could hunt down a couple of condenser mics for the overheads you would be amazed at how much better it would be sonically. Anyway, it is doable, just do your homework, and oh, use really long cables to reach your computer.
    Haha I figured I'd have to use really long cables. Although I'd need 20m ones... my computer is practically on the other side of the house, lol. How would I record drums without a computer? My dad's got Fostex M301's and mixers and cables (don't think they're long enough), but he's only got two microphones. An older brother has a Samson 7kit drum mic kit, but they didn't come with the cables.

I could probably pick up some extra microphones or extra long cables from the church, and I was thinking something like REAPER or Sony ACID to record with?
    - Zack

User Info Menu

use minimal mics until your familiar with recording ...

but yeah 20m mic cables are pritty much standard ...and a kick butt soundcard

User Info Menu

Play the drums and have someone walk around the room, have them listen to where the drums sound the best and place your mics there. The problem you are going to have if you are using live vocal mics is that they are designed to block out most of what is going on around them and only pick up what is directly in front of them.

As was stated above get your hands on a condenser mic you will have much better luck.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Ok thanks guys, I'm also thinking of investing in an Audix Fusion 7 set.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Ok thanks guys, I'm also thinking of investing in an Audix Fusion 7 set.
    fine totally ignore us..lol

yeah there good but start with 1 or 2 ...then invest in a set

User Info Menu

The fusion 7 set is a good set. The frequency range of the Bass mic is not the best though I suspect with the way you want to record it will not matter. The good thing about that set is you can add an adix D6 mic to it and move the bass mic up to the floor tom. The 7 set comes with good condenser mics as well. At some point though if you wan to record it will need to go into your computer. Again maybe you would want to look an audio degital interface first such as a M- Audio device such as an m box or m audio fire wire. It would cost you roughly the same or less than the mic set and comes with all of the software to get you started. Along the way you can pick up a cheap mixing board for thirty bucks and you are all the way in the game. Just a thought.