Thread: Anyone else had this?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone else had this?

I keep running into the same problems over and over while im drumming.

Problem #1
    My Hi Hat beat (right hand) likes to match my right leg bass. If I wanted to play singles on the hat and dbls on the bass my right hand matches it and its driving me nuts. Also anything off beat really messes the 2 up.

Heres a quick video of a guy that plays a song that ive been practicing. What I wanna point out is the bass part. The base (im guessing here since im rusty with beats) is on 1 (and) 3 and (yes no?) Well the "3 and" part is whats messing me up (that particular beat anyways) My hat wants to mimic the base.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zvCM5IcGAgU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zvCM5IcGAgU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Problem #2
    Whenever im playing to my ipod I record myself with Audacity also. Playing feels good, but when I listen to myself I hear alot of time changes in my playing. What is up with that? I can post a mp3 so you can hear if need be.
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone else had this?

Time and practice...
    Sounds like you're thinking your way through stuff. Just play your
    way through music. Don't worry too much about nuances, They'll
    happen in good time as your natural instincts begin to develop and
    in essence take over. Relax! Recording yourself is good and bad...
    Next time don't use your kick, Just put your foot beside your pedal
    and sort of "mock" your kick. The fact that you're frustrated will one
    day be purdy funny to you personally. BUT, Bare in mind we all have
    aspects that are quirky and even uncomfortable sometimes. If you
    want to humor yourself, Do some hat work with your left hand...
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

The way I think about bass independence is by taking your constant hi-hat beat (fouths, eighths, sixteenths, whatever) and locking it away in the corner of your mind so that you can focus on the snare and bass. Specific excersises I can think of might be working hard at simple punk beats, which require a double on the kick and a single with the right hand most of the time. Switching between that and a beat that requires a double on the kick before hitting the hi-hat will also be beneficial. If that fails, slow it down. It's all about the muscle memory and speeding up not only doesn't help, but it's detrimental. Find a more complex beat (like paradiddles between snare and bass) and just hammer it past the frustration. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Cole1paul!

I agree with the advice to slow down until you can get it right - even if it has to be painfully slow - because it is all about muscle memory, and you want to work it perfectly. Speed will come as you lock in the muscle memory.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

playing to a metronome and to songs will help

get the hands first then bring in the kick

and practice lots.............

and don't practice bad habits......

User Info Menu

The Hat and snares com naturally. Ive tried just the 2 of them. My foot work still needs help just do to poor control. Ive been slowing it down and practicing a few things. Mostly just been playing to the ipod and found a simple beat singles on the hat and a dbl every now and then on the base. Its super tough to hold back my right hand.
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

Practice. If it feels awkward and difficult then you're doing it right.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Use a metronome, they suck and noone like to use them but they are the best thing you can do for yourself as far as practice goes. Concentrate hard when practicing, don't just play and expect it to happen. Good luck!
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank