Thread: Anyone else had this?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone else had this?

I keep running into the same problems over and over while im drumming.

Problem #1

My Hi Hat beat (right hand) likes to match my right leg bass. If I wanted to play singles on the hat and dbls on the bass my right hand matches it and its driving me nuts. Also anything off beat really messes the 2 up.

Heres a quick video of a guy that plays a song that ive been practicing. What I wanna point out is the bass part. The base (im guessing here since im rusty with beats) is on 1 (and) 3 and (yes no?) Well the "3 and" part is whats messing me up (that particular beat anyways) My hat wants to mimic the base.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCM5IcGAgU"]YouTube - candlebox drum cover[/ame]

Problem #2
    Whenever im playing to my ipod I record myself with Audacity also. Playing feels good, but when I listen to myself I hear alot of time changes in my playing. What is up with that? I can post a mp3 so you can hear if need be.
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone else had this?

It takes time and practice, as with anything, to separate your right hand and right foot. It really can be frustrating at first, but in time you get to be able to play those doubles with your foot and singles with your hand. It really is rewarding when you can play it after the effort you have used practicing. Again, with the time changes, it takes time and practice. Practicing rudiments with a metronome has helped me wth my timeing a fair bit. Also, as you do, playing to my ipod helps, as well as with other musicians. But it all takes time, effort and patience
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Patience Little Grashopper

I agree....patience...indeed!

How about trying not to practice with your kit? Maybe just try to work out some exercises that could work out your individual limbs. You can start with clapping exercises, and mixing things up with your feet.

i.e.

1.) 4/4 (80-120 bpm) = hands clap quarter note triplets, left foot just comes in whole notes, right foot taps half notes

here's an expanded version:
    hands = 1-trip-let, 2-trip-let, 3-trip-let, 4-trip-let
    left foot = 1 ---, 2----, 3----, 4----
    right foot = 1 - and - 2 - and - 3 - and - 4 - and

2.) 4/4 = switching triplets and half notes between right and left hands (you can do this with or without sticks)

expanded version:
    right hand = 1 - and - 2 - and - 3 - and - 4 - and
    left hand = 1-trip-let, 2-trip-let, 3-trip-let, 4-trip-let

** I understand that maybe a video would make this much more sensible...but as I have only two hands, I'm going to have to wait until I borrow a tri-pod. Meanwhile, hopefully at least one other DC member would make sense of my ramblings...and maybe (out of the kindness of his/her heart) make a video.

There are lots of exercises that help develop independence of each of your limbs.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    It takes time and practice, as with anything, to separate your right hand and right foot. It really can be frustrating at first, but in time you get to be able to play those doubles with your foot and singles with your hand. It really is rewarding when you can play it after the effort you have used practicing. Again, with the time changes, it takes time and practice. Practicing rudiments with a metronome has helped me wth my timeing a fair bit. Also, as you do, playing to my ipod helps, as well as with other musicians. But it all takes time, effort and patience

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone else had this?

I had this same problem a while a go.
    All i did was slow my beats right down, start with 8th notes on the hats and play the doubles on the bass, really focus on your right hand. Thinking to yourself all the time 1-e-and-a 2.... etc or however you count. make sure your doing that almost unconciously then keep your hand going and add in the bass, if your hand follows your foot then stop playing the bass. Think it through in your head and keep repeating. Really focus on playing 8th notes. It will take time to get it right but its worth it in the end mate.
    Hope this advice helps
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY