Thread: the Tenor thread

User Info Menu

Default the Tenor thread

Just like the bacon thread in the off topic section, you saw this coming like a freight train.

I've seen lots of tenor mentions and now there's a whole thread to post ANYTHING about tenors. Whatcha got? Tritoms? Quads? Quints? sextets?
    Anything tenors.

Good luck
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: the Tenor thread

i play tritoms for my schools pep band, starting this school year...
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Sweet, I played Quads for my pep band this past year, and plan to do the same this year. I love those things lol. Sextets are sweet though.
    My Set:
    5 Piece PDP FS series
    Joey Jordison Signature Snare
    Sabian B8 14", 18" Thin Crashes
    Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash Dented Edition
    Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Paiste Innovative 20" Heavy Ride
    Jhmeg2 Über Ride 20" Special Edition

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Sextets are sweet though.
    I know! NIU has them, the Blue Coats have them, and I think the Cavaliers do as well.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I know! NIU has them, the Blue Coats have them, and I think the Cavaliers do as well.
    i think almost every drum corp has sextets
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I would have been playing quints this year, but our director thinks having only 1 tenor is a distraction. >.> nonetheless, I can play quints fairly well.

User Info Menu

My instructor has 2 minimum tenors as a requirement for practice, so join the club!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Are the two little drums on sextets the same size an tuned the same? AND does anyone have/know were I can get a super cheap tenor stand?!

User Info Menu

I touched tenors for the first time ever (ive been in drumline for 3 years) it was at our audition and i actualy did good.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe6991 View Post
    Are the two little drums on sextets the same size an tuned the same? AND does anyone have/know were I can get a super cheap tenor stand?!
    Wow, I didn't see this til now. I'm surprised this thread is still being posted in...

Anyway, the two gock drums aren't the same. The one on the right is higher than the one on the left. And I dunno about the stand.

Also, congrats on making tenors, HolyChina! It's much easier to do that once you've gotten used to some of the rudiments, though. It's similar to snare playing, but you're doing matched grip on 4-6 drums.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

We've always used quints. We were supposed to have sextets but those drums didn't come with our new sets that we ordered and since we wouldn't be able to practice with them much by the time they'd get here, we decided not to use them. The 2 spocks are not the same (I think one is 6" and one 8").
    As far as a stand, you could try looking for something used. DCI and WGI groups often sell that stuff after the season but I have no specific info on that.

User Info Menu

Show seasons coming up and i need sum tenor stick tricks desperately! Help Plz

User Info Menu

I was on snare line for the first 3 years of my marching career... then my senior year, I moved into the section leader position on the tenors. I wish I would have played tenors all 4 years. People think the snares are where it's at... but after teaching myself tenors and really loving it... there is no comparison. The tenors are 10 times harder than the snare and it's definitely more impressive.. (In my humble opinion). Was snare fun? Yes... but tenors.. that was a pure joy. I'd love to own a set of them today, even at 32 years old.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I play quints, tenors in my high school marching band I played cymbals freshman year, bass sophomore year and junior year, and decided to actually care about school band stuff and made tenors this year :D Really enjoying it and can see later (After college or maybe during) getting tenors of my own I really am liking TAMA stuff right now looks really nice wish my school got them instead of pearl.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Our school had Yamaha. We had gotten new drums from a DCI group a few years back, those are super awesome drums. Not sure what series they are and I'm not there any more to find out.

User Info Menu

I am currently a bass drum but want to play quads soon, anyone have any advice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NumaNuma498 View Post
    I am currently a bass drum but want to play quads soon, anyone have any advice?
    Hey Numa, welcome to DrumChat.

1. The quads can be heavy so make sure you have a strong harness. You might also want to start doing some exercises for your back and/or carry some Advil for occasional back pain.

2. I like Bill Bachman's approach by using the X and Y Axes. Here's a quick video:

3. It always comes back to rudiments. Everything you play will stem from the drum rudiments so get real good with those first (on one drum) and then you'll have an easier time applying them to 4 drums.

User Info Menu

Wow...I missed out in H.S. I should of tried out for the marching band instead of hanging out with the skateboarders.

User Info Menu

This thread is still a thing?! Wow! Dedication to the max!

Edit: I totally forgot I'm the OP of this thread..... This is way too funny.

I suppose I'll speak to my past self. I do hope to play tenors for a post-college/HS drumline in the near future. My new Octapad has marching percussion on it, including tenors.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    This thread is still a thing?! Wow! Dedication to the max!

Edit: I totally forgot I'm the OP of this thread..... This is way too funny.

I suppose I'll speak to my past self. I do hope to play tenors for a post-college/HS drumline in the near future. My new Octapad has marching percussion on it, including tenors.
    Welcome back....how's Chicago?