Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What else 'do you do'?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What else 'do you do'?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    If you've never competed in a combat sport, you'd never understand. And thats not meant as an insult or to sound macho, it truly is a different high.

I've spent 20 months being shot at. Somehow I think that qualifies.

User Info Menu

Totally different.

User Info Menu

Somehow, I get the feeling that's not a sport. I'm just thankful you are here with us, Rick.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Somehow, I get the feeling that's not a sport. I'm just thankful you are here with us, Rick.

Thanks Mark. Hard to believe that it's 44 years since I got home.

User Info Menu

yesterday I did laundry changed the oil in the car (myself) cut all the grass and then went to band practice.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

One thing I've been doing of late that's non-drumming is bits of keyboard and piano, seeing that's do tuned percussion. In fact I had my keyboard playing debut last week, played at a uni open daywhere I did both percussion and keyboards, sometimes switching between the two within the same song!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I've spent 20 months being shot at. Somehow I think that qualifies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Totally different.

How so?

User Info Menu

One is a competition, the other is life and death.

User Info Menu

Nothing as physical as you guys...

Until recently, I was a Girl Scout leader - even went to the National Girl Scout Convention and National Council Session in 2012 as a delegate from my council. I think this year I'm going to be a Girl Scout Zip mentor - kind of a leader for the girls that don't have time for troop meetings, so they work at their own pace.

My oldest daughter is a tournament bowler, so driving her to league practice and cheering her on is one of my favorite "hobbies"

And finally...its fall, which means FOOTBALL! You'll find me in front of the TV most weekends until February.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Cool Fan Vid?

That would be interesting to watch! Was there a video of the gig?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    One thing I've been doing of late that's non-drumming is bits of keyboard and piano, seeing that's do tuned percussion. In fact I had my keyboard playing debut last week, played at a uni open daywhere I did both percussion and keyboards, sometimes switching between the two within the same song!

User Info Menu

Drums, hand percussion and bass are my three "serious" instruments. I work on my blues harp playing and (barely) dabble in guitar and keyboards.

My sweetheart and I are involved in animal rescue, particular Soft Coated Wheaten terriers. I paint and do pen and ink sketches.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Aside from drums, I enjoy reading (I'm currently reading a very interesting book about the history of the US Supreme court for my book club), studying biology (especially the "darker" aspects), writing fanfiction, racing (watching, not doing), video games, watching cute and funny animal videos online (sea lion and seal pup videos = cuteness. overload. ), and watching documentaries about marine mammals.

As for collecting things, I collect Garfield and Heathcliff books and NASCAR die casts, and racing cards. If I had more time, money, and space, I'd also collect carnivorous plants. (Most. Amazing. Plants. Ever!)
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

Anything that gets me into nature, I enjoy all forms of yard and garden work, we had a tree go down in our yard in the storms yesterday and I was ecstatic that I had an excuse to use the chainsaw. I like storm watching and simply observing how everything interacts, I really enjoy biology I'm actually reading a college textbook on microbiology for fun, also going along with the theme of nature I am a wild food and medicinal plant forager, wild plants probably make up about 35% or more of my diet in the warm months.

As for other musical hobbies I also play the acoustic guitar, and I'm currently taking lessons for the piano.
    Wear hearing protection.