Thread: Snares.

User Info Menu

Default Snares.

Ok so I have some questions about snare drums, I'm curious about getting a new snare, one that sounds great, looks are secondary. What features (wood, free-floating, holes in the shell, shell ply) should I be looking for for a high quality snare. And if you have time, what does each feature do? Does it really affect the sound that much?

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snares.

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Ok so I have some questions about snare drums, I'm curious about getting a new snare, one that sounds great, looks are secondary. What features (wood, free-floating, holes in the shell, shell ply) should I be looking for for a high quality snare. And if you have time, what does each feature do? Does it really affect the sound that much?

Cheers.
    I would say it depends a lot on what sound you're looking for.

There are a lot of "proven" good quality snare drums out there though.
    Some of the best ones I've read about over the years have been metal shell drums like Ludwig's Black Beauty, Rogers' Dyna-Sonic and Gretsch's COB (chrome-over-brass) are some that come to mind. There are tones out there.

It's always nice to shop around. Hope you find a good one.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Go play as many as you can, you will know it when you find the right one.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post

Cheers.
    There are alot of variables involved , and I suggest doing what rm said.......take as many as posible for a test drive first to see what sounds good .

You will also need to know before-hand what sound it is youre looking for .Do you plan on playing metal ,hard rock or want something with a loud crack ,then I suggest a metal snare .If its something warm then I suggest looking for a wood snare .

Best of luck in your search ,this is definately something your own ears need to decide for you ,we can only offer up some basics .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Tuning and head choice make the most difference in snare sound.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I already have a wooden snare, I might keep it and also get a snare with some deadly attack for metal drumming. I'll take a look at some of the metal shell ones.

~Cheers

User Info Menu

Anyone know what a free-floating snare is?

User Info Menu

Yep.

User Info Menu

you mind sharing?

User Info Menu

Its a snare were there are no holes or anything but the heads touching the shell.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Snares.

SHELLS ARE REPLACEABLE
    NO CHROME OR HARDWARE INTO SHELL
    RIMS AND LUGS GO OVER DA OUTSIDE OF DA SHELL

PHANTASTIC DRUM
    I OWN A PEARL FREE FLOATING MAPLE NOW
    AS ONE OF MY PRIMARY SNARES
    http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Sn...ing/Maple.aspx
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

im using my freefloater only in the studio..

its way to loud for the stage..

User Info Menu

just looked them up, they look sweet

User Info Menu

here's the one I'm using ........personally customized 14x5.5 Selishman

iv put a trick throw off on there and had the shell refurbished .....changed the depth of the baring slightly ......

was considering getting some wood rims made up for it, try get a extra woody sound
    Attached Images Attached Images

ThePloughman Guest

Acrolite.

User Info Menu

Had a lot of fun with a Ludwig hh bronze but foolishly sold it . Tried a Yamaha copper 5 X 15 in Japan and it had a really sweet sound so just ordered one . Can't wait . The best advice has already been offered - play as many as you can , keeping in mind that a change of heads or tuning may be the thing that will bring the drum to life for YOU .The guy next to you may well think it's crap though ... also , 'different drums for different rooms' is my belief . I have a thin shell , cheap Premier from the nineties . On its own it's a real pig but when I use it in a loud rock situation , in a song , it roars ! People comment on it then when they hear it at my house they shake their head haha .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tanman67 View Post
    Had a lot of fun with a Ludwig hh bronze but foolishly sold it . Tried a Yamaha copper 5 X 15 in Japan and it had a really sweet sound so just ordered one . Can't wait.
    Dude that is AWESOME! You don't see many 15" snares.
    Matt