Thread: acoustic or electronic?

User Info Menu

Default acoustic or electronic?

i am currently looking for a drum set and wondering if i should get an acouistic or electronic kit. which do you use? what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: acoustic or electronic?

It depends on what you're using it for. If it's strictly for practice an electronic kit might be a good idea. I believe you can just plug in your headphones and the drum sound goes straight to your ears and no one else hears it, which is great if your around other people when you practice. They take up less space too.

If you'll be using it for anything else besides practice then I'd say get an acoustic set.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I SHOULD prolly use an ekit for what I am doing (playin blues to the radio), but I can't abide the looks of an ekit, nor the little clacky noises that everyone else has to put up with.

So, I went acoustic!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

As long as noise is not going to be an issue where you live...I would recommend getting an acoustic kit....if noise will be an issue, get the electronic.

User Info Menu

You can't play a rimshot on an electric kit.

I rest my case.

Know that if you're buying an acoustic set, you will also have to buy cymbals, buy new drum heads every once in a while, and you'll probably break more sticks on an acoustic than an electric. I'd say if you think drumming will ever be more than a hobby to you, or if you want to play with other musicians, get an acoustic.

User Info Menu

I'll say it again DIY E setup !! This way you have both and go from E to A or A to E in an hour or so after the conversion is finished . And with a quality module the sky is the limit !! And rim shots, cross stick are not a problem.

User Info Menu

Talking You can...get both E and A!

I agree!

with lots of tutorials how to do it (and avoid any of the usual pitfalls)...DIY is the way to go....and it would also give you a chance to get both (an acoustic kit that can convert into an electronic kit)

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    I'll say it again DIY E setup !! This way you have both and go from E to A or A to E in an hour or so after the conversion is finished . And with a quality module the sky is the limit !! And rim shots, cross stick are not a problem.

User Info Menu

You can rim shot if you get one of the better edrums.

Quote Originally Posted by keysanddrums View Post

I rest my case.

Know that if you're buying an acoustic set, you will also have to buy cymbals, buy new drum heads every once in a while, and you'll probably break more sticks on an acoustic than an electric. I'd say if you think drumming will ever be more than a hobby to you, or if you want to play with other musicians, get an acoustic.
    In my opinion I think that it depends on if there are limitations on how loud your drum kit hand be (in consideration of other people). With an Edrum you just put on some earphones and it's quiet and nobody else can hear it. In my opinion I think you should have an acoustic if there are no problems, because then you can work on your dynamics and other techniques. These are all easier to do on an acoustic kit. So in my opinion I would get the acoustic.

BTW how much dose a DIY cost, because it sounds really cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keysanddrums View Post
    Sure you can!! Not sure about the lower end e-kits, but I can on my TD9. Granted it's not the same as the real thing, but it's still a rimshot.

Back to the original question, I gigged one time with my e-kit and it was fun and all, but nothing beats an acoustic kit for gigging. I use the e-kit for practice only.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

i prefer acoustic.
    but if noice will be an issue get and electronic kit!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I think that a majority of drummers prefer the acoustic set. One advantage to an electric set is that you can change the volume or wear headphones, that comes in handy if you live in an apartment or city neighborhood with old cranky neighbors that hate loud noises.

User Info Menu

Its up to you...
    and im not trying to influence you at all....
    But ACOUSTIC !! lol
    because you can use them for more than just practising and plus if noise is a problem, then buy a set of silencer pads, they dont cost much.
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

As a longtime acoustic player I prefer them, but electronic kits are nice for those late night practices.....I'll say this as well....if you can play an acoustic well, you can play an electronic well...but not always the other way around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    I'll say this as well....if you can play an acoustic well, you can play an electronic well...but not always the other way around.
    VERY true!!!
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Ok, so not to hijack the thread but I have an acoustic kit that is pretty low end but sounds good when it is tuned up right. I never tune my drums because I play by myself all the time and it never leaves my room. I like the idea of the electronic kit for practicing and keeping my acoustic kit for playing out, any thoughts?
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank