Thread: Concert Percussion

User Info Menu

Default Concert Percussion

Just out of curiosity, how many people here play in a orchestra or symphonic band? Whether it's a school one or professional one.

I play in 4 different concert/symphonic bands at school too are classes and 2 are extracurricular bands before and after school.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

im in a school concert band

User Info Menu

I've lost track of how many bands and honor bands I've played in but yes I play in the symphonic band at school.
    4-mallets 4eva!!!

User Info Menu

Hey have any of you gone to the International Music Camp before? I loved IMC, you guys should defiantly think about coming if you live close enough. (It's in the peace gardens between N-Dakota and Manitoba.

User Info Menu

not close enough for me im down in pa

User Info Menu

yes indeed, its a great experience tho

User Info Menu

Default Re: Concert Percussion

Reviving an old topic. I play in a community orchestra. It's a relatively new group (maybe 5 years old), and this is my 3rd season in the group.

I'm not a great percussionist, and I don't think I ever was if truth be told. I let myself get out of practice, but I'm a positive thinker who believes it is never too late to make a change. So, I'm here to communicate with others and get help on improving.

I've always been super shy with snare playing, and I'm challenging myself to just Get. Over. It. this season by playing on at least 2 pieces for sure (perhaps more, though). Give me a timpani part and I'm "in yo' face", so I dont' know why there's a confidence difference, but there has been. Not for much longer, I hope.

User Info Menu

When I was in middle school and high school concert band I was also timid about playing snare. I guess its because it is the backbone for the rest of the band, if you screw up it will be noticed. I typically was stuck on bass drum or cymbals or aux percussion my freshman year, but I pushed myself and practiced my butt off on snare drum rudiments every day. My sophmore year I beat out several of the seasoned uperclassmen and got a spot on the snare line in marching band. After that I had no problems playing snare durring concert season because I was confident with my playing and technique after working so hard on it. Practice those rudiments everyday, get your buzz rolls to where they are clean and in time, and don't forget to count.

User Info Menu

It's been many years, but in high school I played in symphonic band and our area youth orchestra. In college, I was in concert band and orchestra for the duration. I have often toyed with the idea of auditioning for our local symphony orchestra, but I would need some serious time to get my mallet chops back up to speed.

User Info Menu

I played in my schools concert band and String Orchestra when I was in high school. I also played timpani in the Youth Orchestra and with the Savoyard production of Gilbert & Sullivan Operettas. As a band director in 1976, I brought our marching and concert bands to compete in the Bicentennial celebration that was held at the
    International Peace Garden. It was a beautiful experience.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I played snare a couple of times in the school concert band but stopped going to concentrate more on studies and later on band practice as I felt we were progressing really well at that time as a band and the school let us use the music room out of hours for extra practice, but playing snare in the concert band was a great experience

User Info Menu

me. school band