Thread: TD3&6 vs DTExpress 2&3

User Info Menu

Default TD3&6 vs DTExpress 2&3

Hi
    I'm thinking of buying electronic drums and i've been narrowing down my choice to a second hand TD 3 or 6 or else a DTXpress 2 or 3.

My primary use would be to have as practice kit that doesn't disturb the neighbours and saves me paying to practice in a rehearsal studio so regularly.

I have a recording set up and it'd be useful to have something to trigger samples too but in terms of recording I've used V-drums (which i gather are some of the best ) and was not into their sound/feel vs the sound of a real accoustic kit at all. (I'd also like to use it for a few D.I. rehearsals with my band.)

So i'm not exactly looking to find the best replacement for real drums to record with. But for someone that hasn't played for a while and wants to keep up strength and co-ordination i guess the more real it feels to play the more useful a tool it is. Basically i don't wanna be too disorientated going back to a real kit if possible.

I was thinking of just investing in a mesh head for the snare and scouting on ebay. i'd really like to pick something up that will serve me reasonably without spending more than £400 (I think that's about $650)

I did read that yamaha DTXpress' only have midi out. What are the implications of no midi in? does that essentially just mean you can't expand on the sounds that are in the brain when playing?

thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Default Re: TD3&6 vs DTExpress 2&3

midi in is the ability to recieve midi input from the computer to the unit. My experience comes from keyboards. So i can change my settings of the keyboard from the computer. I would guess this would be simular on the drums. However if your just recording, you can get your signal out and layed down into some tracks so i dont see this being a problem for you. But more input is needed!
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

look into the the alesis DM5-Pro set, it is about $400...i think, and i've watched reviews on it and it looks like a pretty good e-set
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I have a Roland TD4 and i have to say that it sounds really good. I didnt really try any of the Yamaha except of the dtxplorer and the differences are pretty obvious...

I bought mine for 889£ new, I would've searched for a good TD4 second hand if you can't afford it...

User Info Menu

thanks for your input everybody

At the moment I'm looking out for a used roland for the right price.

Did look into the alesis DM5 because it seems like a bargain but i did read some less than positive things about it on other forums.

User Info Menu

Wish you much luck my friend! Hope i could assist you... Keep on drumming