Thread: Audacity Recording

User Info Menu

Default Audacity Recording

Is it possible using audacity or another program, to record myself and add the music in to it? That way you dont just hear me beating the crap out of my drums wondering what im playing?

Im trying to avoid paying for programs for something that im not all that good at yet.

What programs are out there you do pay for that work well.

Remember, my sets not all mic'd up and I have no mixers or anything. I have 2 computers sitting side by side one with a mic.
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Audacity Recording

Yes.

User Info Menu

It's very possible. There's a really good mic called the Zoom H2 portable mike(it's around 100 dollars), and if put it 10 feet or so away from your drumset (on a mike stand), you get a great drum sound. You'll need to get some kind of recording device to plug into audacity if you want to record from there, or you can import whatever music you want to import.

I've recorded some songs using audacity, a zoom h2 mike, and a pod plug in device. If you click the second link in my signature, you can hear how good just audacity can sound.

You can also use garage band and you won't have to buy any kind of mics. It won't sound as good, but garage band will probably cost cheaper than a decent miking arrangement.

User Info Menu

You dont need all that. Your one mic will work. When you get the Audacity make sure you also load in the mp3 patch. Then load the mp3 into Audacity, plug your mic and your headphones into your computer and press record.

User Info Menu

Default Recording with Generics

It has been known that some do use just one mic....for recording.

I do have proof that even a generic mic (from a headset) would do the job...if you have the right room...and your kit is sounding it's best:

http://leighmusician.multiply.com/mu..._Audio_Samples

- Leigh

P.S.
    Yes I used audacity to record
    and export the mp3s

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    You dont need all that. Your one mic will work. When you get the Audacity make sure you also load in the mp3 patch. Then load the mp3 into Audacity, plug your mic and your headphones into your computer and press record.

User Info Menu

I agree, one good mic will get the job done if all you are doing is recoding yourself playing along to an mp3 in another track.

Play your drums and have someone walk around the room and find the spot where your drums sound best, that's where you place the mic.

You will want a condenser mic with a large pattern. You may be surprised what you can
    do.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

If you're talking about recording a cover and then adding the song with your recording, then I know what I'm talking about, if it isn't that then don't listen to what I'm about to say.

Try to drag the song that you are covering onto the desktop and then shrink whatever program you are using so you can access the song and look at the program at the same time. Make a new track along with your drum track and drag your song over the new track that you just made and release the mouse. If that is all done right then you should have the song come up as a normal track just like your drum track. I'm not sure if it will work with audacity because I've never used it before, but it works for me on garage band.

If that was no help, sorry..