Thread: I don't get this... Help me please!

User Info Menu

Unhappy I don't get this... Help me please!

After my tenor audition, I saw a 6 and a 6 for my score. the lowest one, but the ONLY even score. The practice after that, he told me that I had given a certain auditioner a hard time, meaning I challenged him. Tonight, I asked my instructor if I could play tenors for his other drumline's night's practice, and he spits back at my face saying "I think **** (the name of the other auditioner, not a bad word) is a better tenor player in perspective. I know that he is ready, but I'm not sure about you". I know that "spit" is a harsh word, but that is what it seems. Somehow, I think that my instructor hates me for some reason. I really don't get this. Any ideas?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: I don't get this... Help me please!

Ask him.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Although I'm sure it hurt to hear it, Frank is right. Ask him what he meant by what he said. Let him know it hurt you to hear it, but that you are being mature about it, and if he can be more specific, it can help you grow. He may not hate you as much as you think, and you might learn where you specifically have to work to please him. That would give you a leg up.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Although I'm sure it hurt to hear it, Frank is right. Ask him what he meant by what he said. Let him know it hurt you to hear it, but that you are being mature about it, and if he can be more specific, it can help you grow. He may not hate you as much as you think, and you might learn where you specifically have to work to please him. That would give you a leg up.
    Yes sir! He left the door swingin' wide open. He doesn't
    hate you... He just told you to get busy.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Hey CB! I don't think he hates you i think he was just being " brutally honest". Some people are just that way. I do,however, agree with Frank and PB that you should ask him about what he said just to be shure. Don't let anything like this get ya down..keep playing hard and i hope you can get this resolved. Later!

User Info Menu

Maybe the other guy is better. Thats not an insult. Ive lost lots of gigs to better players.

User Info Menu

Call him out.

User Info Menu

Hate is such a harsh word to use .......especially when desribing a teacher , the person who is supposed to care about what they are doing .My 13 year old son is an honor role student and tells us that alot........."that teacher hates me "

I think its a mis-understanding of the students , they need to realize teachers are under alot of stress with the responsibility of all those students .Sometimes they dont have alot of time to invest in each student and try to force that student into doing better on their own .

Maybe thats what he is trying to do....as suggested , just ask him . Just because he says no doesnt mean he hates you .Remember that respect is a 2-way street and if you want his respect then you must give him respect first .It does take time .Good luck .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. GF, I know that it was a harsh word, but that's the way I feel about it.

Frank and PB... Asking him what he's looking for is a great Idea. I think it will help me to grow as a person and a tenor player.

The main confusion here is that he told me that *** is better, but before he said I challenged him. Maybe he changed his mind. I really should have had more of an open mind, and I was a little tired when I posted this thread. Thanks and all the best
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Do not let this get you donw, if anything learn from it and use it to make yourself better. Ask the insturctor what he meant, I am one who does not beat around the bush either. When you go and ask, be prepaired to ehar the good, bad and ugly. Also have in hand a plan on how to improve, present the plan to the instructor and see what he thinks and see how he reacts.

The reality may be that you are better but he wants to see your reaction to hearing someone else is better, perhaps he wants you to push yourself to the limit then pull you up to the top. Some people do opperate this way.

Best to you, keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Taz, I never thought about that. Hearing things like that do make me push farther than the limit, and become a perfectionist in my playing.. Nothing bad, right?

I have asked him what he's looking for and am waiting for a response.

All the best to you
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

he told me to work on the excersizes and as a bonus, he suggested private lessons!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC