Thread: Tama Imperialstars

User Info Menu

Default Tama Imperialstars

As many of you know, my set is a tama imperialstar set. I know it's great for live performance, but is it good for recording?

thanks and all the best

all advice are welcome

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Imperialstars

It honestly depends on head choice and tuning.

User Info Menu

It is amazing what my brother ( studio engineer ) can do with a kit. Sometimes he has me record completely out of tune in a bad recording environment so he can practice "fixing" the sound. So yes, it will record fine but really the question is what type of music do you want to record. The Imperialstar if I remember correctly is birch which will give a ton of attack and loose a little bottom end, but that is ok.Particularly if you are playing more pop. It can be adjusted in the mix easliy for hard rack or speed metal. My personal preference is recording with maple. I like the warmth and dark tones ( I use a VLT dw kit). So; the room, mic position, tuning cary a ton of weight. Then the kit comes into play. Just MHO.

User Info Menu

He has the new Imperialstars which are basswood.

User Info Menu

oh, ok. Is it purely Basswood or is it a basswood/birch combo?

User Info Menu

Alot of it depends on who is doing the recording and how much and how god their equipment is. Even the best equiped studios are limited to how much knowledge the sound engineers have. Good equipment and knowledgeable people, and yes they should sound pretty darn good. John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    oh, ok. Is it purely Basswood or is it a basswood/birch combo?
    My bad, they are 100% poplar.

User Info Menu

very true john gerrard. Bit rate and A/D converters are KEY. Also the most important key is the engineer. I amazed at what my brother does with different mixes. He will do a lot of repair jobs on prior mixes when musicians are unhappy with the product from other studios in our area.

User Info Menu

Thanks Northern Redneck for the clarification

User Info Menu

ok... ya, I knew they were poplar. so what brand should I use, since they're poplar?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

What brand of what?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Oh... I thought it was the mic thread I posted.... My bad...

I meant to ask "are imperialstars good for recording, since they're poplar?"
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

I'm sure they will be fine. You recording a professional album or just for yourself? Good mic'ing, good heads and tuning, and they should be fine for your own recording.

As for mic's CAD are supposedly good for inexpensive. Then you get Shure and Audix which are a little more. I have a Shure 4 pc mic kit and I like it but have only used it live, not recording.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I am a big Audix fan. I love the sound and frequency response of Audix. Also I use a sub kick mic which really brings in the low end.

User Info Menu

for recording, you can do so much mixing with recording, you could use a first act set and it could sound good (im exaggerating)
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

lol good one gretsch.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

thanks!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I have played around with my Imperialstars with heads and tuning. I think they sound great. I was unsure if they were gonna sound worth a cuss to begin with but now I have mine sounding good. This is probably a little over the top, but I cant imagine a better sound than what I have now.

I have remo pinstripes on the toms with one piece of moongel just to the inside of the pinstripe on the side. My snare, well, I have my snare sounding like a $400 snare. I have Remo Ambassador heads top and bottom on the snare and I have it tuned pretty high on both heads. I have one piece of moongel about 1" inside the edge. I got the snare wires dialed in perfect and let me tell you. It rocks.

There is a pearl brass snare at my local music store and i love the way it sounded. They guy kept trying to sell it to me. Instead I bought my Ambassador heads from him and I told him to tune it himself and try to make it sound as close to the pearl that I love. I went to pick it up and we took both drums in his practice room where he teaches and put them side by side on concert stands and I swear you wouldn't know one from the other. He was surprised and so was I.

The pearl we were testing was one that is a good recording drum and I pretty much have mine sounding the same.

So, I am new to drumming but I know what these drums are capable of. Heads and tuning = great sound.

User Info Menu

Good for you! The truth is you will get better sound from better drums (as a general rule) but at the same time there is nothing wrong with Imperialstars. Poplar is less expensive than Birch, Maple, etc...,the hardware is less expensive (no StarCast, less expensive tom mount), wrap finishes only, but that doesn't mean they are junk! It's not like they are some no name brand sold at Walmart.

Glad you swapped the heads b/c that's important on less expensive lines. Even on my son's Superstars swapping the stock heads for Evans G2/G1 combo made a huge leap in sound.

The Imperialstars are good drums for someone starting (particularly if you wanted new) and should last you until you decide it's time to move up the ladder. My son played for 4 years on Stagestars (the compact Imperialstars are same, although slightly improved), and we just got him the Superstars.

Do you have the stock cymbals that came with the kit? That was the problem with his Stagestars, the cymbals (hats and ride-crash) were that low end brass only type, ugh!

And how about some pics?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I bought just the drums on sale without cymbals.

Thw drums and all hardware was 399.

I picked up a set of B8's on sale for 199 that came with 14" hats, 20" ride, 18" crash, and 16" crash. Thats one more cymbal than I had stands for so I picked up an extra Gibralter stand for 49.

So, 650 bucks and I got a little more than what comes with the deal on musiciansfriend.

User Info Menu

i like EV stuff for it's ability to capture only the actual sound and not add or take anything away from what the drums sound like. generally you can tell the quality of your mics by how much EQ it takes to get your sound dialed in.

those imperialstars from what ive heard are great, quality drums for a modest price and should be excellent to record on. lemme know how it goes, and have fun and put up lots of videos
    Last edited by Russ; 08-06-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments