Thread: Cheap Sticks Or Expensive?

User Info Menu

Default Cheap Sticks Or Expensive?

Iv currently been using very cheap sticks for around 2 pound lol,was just wondering should i buy a good expensive pair or should i keep getting a couple pairs of cheap sticks?
    cheers
    kage

User Info Menu

I recommend Adding up how much you actually spend on the cheap sticks, and then figure out what "expensive" stick you would purchase and compare the to, I personally highly recommend Ahead sticks, the are far superior to work, every stick perfectly match, perfectly balanced, and made of titanium alloy, so it is going to incredibly difficult to break them, I have had my pair for almost a year and I still have not even changed the replaceable sleeve yet, I love them, and I think they are worth ever penny, just my thought.

User Info Menu

Cheaper sticks tend to be not as well made as some of the more expensive "name-brand" sticks. For starters, they probably arent pitched-matched. But more importantly, they're probably not weight-matched.

Secondly, because they arent as well made, they don't tend to last as long as the more expensive sticks.

I recommend any of these: Vic Firth, Zildjian, Promark or Ahead.

My 2 cents,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Dont bother with the cheap ones, they break amazingly easy, and will fail you in the worst possible time

Get expencive (10 bucks or so) brands, they never seem to break, like vic firth, or ludwig (suprisingly ludwig makes great sticks), or drop a little more and get zildjian, those never seem to break

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that much of the reason some drummers break sticks is due to poor technique and not the sticks themselves.

User Info Menu

all my sticks are $20 or more (canadian tho) and i have never broken a pair
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

yeah i just get a nice pair of vic firth 7A's and with the right technique as drummer noted, i have never broken a pair

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz
    or drop a little more and get zildjian, those never seem to break
    hmm...those break too easy for me...You should just save up and buy a pair of Ahead's
    Last edited by eggman; 01-31-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eggman
    hmm...those break too easy for me...You should just save up and buy a pair of Ahead's
    Or check out carbosticks (carbon fibre sticks) - they last about 10 times longer than wood sticks, nicely waited, and produce an outstanding cymbal tone.
    I use these and Ahead, and I much prefer these over the Ahead sticks.

User Info Menu

at my local music store, they have a wall of sticks, but their all ludwig, with a small section of vic firth, but on the one end, they sell this carbo stick, its like 40 bucks and is compared to the 2B

But the top is made of a strong light plastic, when that breaks, you just buy a new shoulder up, they seem pretty cool actually, just buy them, and when the tip breaks, buy 2 more sets of tips for 10 bucks

User Info Menu

Use well made, quality sticks. End of story.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

Vater

User Info Menu

thats all i use 5B's

i hate Zildjian sticks

great cymbals
    but i hate their sticks they break way too easily its so frustrating

User Info Menu

I had a pair of zildjians once, i dont know the exact name, but they were 2B and were just regular hickory, and had the zildjian logo drawn on it (The fancy writing) with 2B on the end

Anyway, they lasted me for a year, and i was a newbie, so i hit the snare rim a lot, and hard too.... ive always been a very hard hitter, cuz my old band teacher told me, when in doubt, play louder

User Info Menu

really i have the exact same pair downstairs in my stick bag right now and i dont like them at all

havent broke yet tho

but i havent used them like at all