Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increasing speed when playing drum rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Increasing speed when playing drum rudiments

Quote Originally Posted by powerbomb91 View Post
    does anyone have any way to make rudiments fun .....becuase its boring doing it over and over again....................my hopes in drumming are really low.... so i need to learn them please help
    Look for exercises that incorporate the rudiments, just playing flams over and over won't make you good at flams, you have to be able to incorporate them into a playing situation. Find a good book to help you out. I can recomend the "Rudimental Cookbook" from rowloff productions. The book not only has exercises, but also fun snare drum solos that incorporate the rudiments that you are learning. The solos get more and more advanced until you are incorporating every rudiment in the last solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    just playing flams over and over won't make you good at flams
    i disagree!

User Info Menu

Great post Pastor Bob. I might add that I would often play rudiments along with songs. Once you have the proper sticking and form, just put on a song you like and play along with it. You might have to try some different songs at first to find the right tempo for the speed you can comfortably play the rudiment at but this is something that helped me to practice rudiments longer when I would have otherwise quit sooner.

What's even easier is to buy a small drum machine and program some simple rhythms in it and play along with that. It's a lot of fun and with a drum machine, you can control the tempo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    What's even easier is to buy a small drum machine and program some simple rhythms in it and play along with that. It's a lot of fun and with a drum machine, you can control the tempo.
    I recently did that very thing, so maybe there's hope for me yet!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!