Thread: Recording myself

User Info Menu

Default Recording myself

Been watching some video's and other things, got to thinking I should record myself playing so I can watch and hear what it sounds like on the other side. Anything I should look into or anything anyone prefers?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording myself

It depends- what are you trying to record? Video? Audio only?

I've noticed that audio tends to be MUCH easier- you don't have to have good camera angles, calibration, etc. For audio, you can go with a few mics, some of which come in a set, or a single mic for hobby purposes if you're on a budget. USB mics are pretty cool- they hook right into a computer.
    Oh, and another thing- don't be surprised if your drums sound completely different on the recording. I know mine did (better, actually).
    Last edited by aximiliguru; 07-01-2009 at 02:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Recording Options

You can always try to experiment and check out which works for you. Maybe start out using a mic (even just a headset one) and just record audio.

Or even use your mobile phone (or camera) and use the video option.

Then in time you might want to extend that and mix the audio (from the mic) and the video you obtained from your mobile phone or camera. This would be pretty handy if you are keen to get into the details of video editing.

One thing to note is...well...your primary goal. Are you keen to record with the aim of getting maximum exposure and comments? (video with mic-ed in audio would be best --- if you have someone like me as your viewer/listener) Or are you just trying to get a rough idea of how you sound (i.e. listening to yourself after a a gig)?

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by aximiliguru View Post
    It depends- what are you trying to record? Video? Audio only?

I've noticed that audio tends to be MUCH easier- you don't have to have good camera angles, calibration, etc. For audio, you can go with a few mics, some of which come in a set, or a single mic for hobby purposes if you're on a budget. USB mics are pretty cool- they hook right into a computer.
    Oh, and another thing- don't be surprised if your drums sound completely different on the recording. I know mine did (better, actually).
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 07-11-2009 at 03:55 AM.

User Info Menu

there are some different ways you could record yourself

video: Just take a video camera and set it up on a stand or have a friend film it for you. If you want good quality sound, you can mic up your drum kit with however many mics you want (the more the better and the more the more expensive). You could run the mics through a mixer or an interface and record it on a program while you video tape yourself with the camera. Once you've done that you can mute the sound from the video camera and aline the recording with the video. That is if you want to record it the best. It all depends on how much quality you want to have and how much money you have.

Recording: Recording is basically the same as the video and that you can choose however many mics you want and how good quality you want to have.

User Info Menu

I just stick my video camera on a table next to my drums, turn it on, and play. Sound quality is surprisingly good for a video camera, and perfectly fine for what I'm using it for.
    Matt