Thread: Drum sizes...seems simple?

User Info Menu

Default Drum sizes...seems simple?

Hey all,

Here's a simple question that seems to confuse every site I've seen be it a chat board or supply house. How do you understand drum sizes. Me, it's diameter X depth. I see it posted the reverse or mixed up on many of the sites (GC, MF etc).

Seems simple to me but there seems not to be a standard. GC tech support did admit they had it wrong on a few ads. It's difficult to order parts or bags if there's no industry standard.

So what is it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum sizes...seems simple?

I have always seen it depth x diameter.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I agree with you (EDIT: Ribkick), but I've seen it opposite as well. I was looking for a Ddrum floor tom, and it was listed as 12x14. At first I was confused, thinking it was a 12" wide floor tom, then I was confused when I realized it was a 14" wide floor tom.

User Info Menu

on all the major drum company's web sites they show there drums as diameter x depth

and it makes sence to list them like that,

User Info Menu

I have always done it as diameter x depth. Why anyone would do it a different way is beyond me. To me that is the simplest way to write it.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Diameter by Depth makes the most sense. But most of the sizes are to a point nowadays that if you see 7x8 or 9x12 you know that the toms are 8 and 12, and not 7 and 9.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    I have always seen it depth x diameter.
    Me too , but more and more I am noticing that almost everyone is measuring the other way .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

If you are ever unsure on a site, find a listing for a snare. Very easy to tell their standard way of displaying shells via snare sizes. that's what I do if I have any question.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

good point Kao , easy when you think about it
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    If you are ever unsure on a site, find a listing for a snare. Very easy to tell their standard way of displaying shells via snare sizes. that's what I do if I have any question.
    I've done that and it works for drums. Problem is manufacturers of bags etc. mix it up. Not the manufacturer but more the sites that sell their goods. A good example is GC I posted above. Not to mention posts on boards where the poster mixes it up.

In my industy, it's always width x height no matter the item. Seems a standard should be shared is all.

Not a big deal, just looking for input. Thanks much!

User Info Menu

I see what you are saying and I'd have to agree. DW's Kitbuilder lists depth first, which is very strange.

So I agree, there should be a standard for this. It's silly for drummers to have to guess. It's mostly an issue on toms and particularly floor toms. You could have a 14x16 or a 16x14, and while the latter is much more likely nowadays it's important to know the diff.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

oh.. ok. I never knew it had those dimensions. Thanks!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Wow! No wonder I was so confused! Thanks for starting this thread. haha
    Led Zeppelin Junkie

Sonor Force 3005 24x18 Bass (Aquarian SK1)
    Yamaha Stage Custom:
    -22x18 Bass (Remo)
    -14x5 Snare (Remo Coated Emperor)
    -10x7.5, 12x8.5, 16x16 Toms (Remo Coated Emperor)
    Sabian 16" Light & Medium Crash, 20" Medium Ride, 10" Splash, Double 14" Hi-Hats & Hi-Hat Tambourine
    Pearl Elite Cha-Cha Cowbell
    Yamaha & Pearl Bass Pedals (until got $ for two DW9000's...)

User Info Menu

It's always been diameter then depth.

William F. Ludwig set the standard back in 1910.

WILLIAM F. LUDWIG

By Frederick D. Fairchild

(Born. Nenderoth, Germany July 15, 1879; Died. July 8,1973)

William F. Ludwig, noted percussion manufacturer, percussionist, and inventor of the balanced-action timpani, began playing drums when his family moved to Chicago in 1887. His career led him to play concerts, operas, dances, shows, and circuses, most notably with the Pittsburgh Symphony, Arthur Pryor’s Band, Chicago Grand Opera and Chicago Civic Grand Opera, and the Chicago Symphony. He experimented with his percussion equipment, invented the first efficient bass drum pedal, and, in 1910, formed the Ludwig & Ludwig company with his brother, Theobald. The increasing work of manufacturing ultimately led him to give up playing, and his company expanded to become the largest percussion manufacturer in the world.

Last edited by Destroyer; 07-14-2009 at 01:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    on all the major drum company's web sites they show there drums as diameter x depth

and it makes sence to list them like that,
    Gretsch's Price List here (and elsewhere on their drum website) has the drums Depth x Diameter: But in the column to the left they show what size drum you're looking at (8 10 12 14 16.....and so on) so there should be no confusion:

But I have seen other drum manufacturers with the reverse.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    It's always been diameter then depth.

William F. Ludwig set the standard back in 1910.

WILLIAM F. LUDWIG

By Frederick D. Fairchild

(Born. Nenderoth, Germany July 15, 1879; Died. July 8,1973)

William F. Ludwig, noted percussion manufacturer, percussionist, and inventor of the balanced-action timpani, began playing drums when his family moved to Chicago in 1887. His career led him to play concerts, operas, dances, shows, and circuses, most notably with the Pittsburgh Symphony, Arthur Pryor’s Band, Chicago Grand Opera and Chicago Civic Grand Opera, and the Chicago Symphony. He experimented with his percussion equipment, invented the first efficient bass drum pedal, and, in 1910, formed the Ludwig & Ludwig company with his brother, Theobald. The increasing work of manufacturing ultimately led him to give up playing, and his company expanded to become the largest percussion manufacturer in the world.
    Great photo there Destroyer! And - I love all that history.

As an aside here, and I don't mean to get off the track of sizing in this thread, just thought it would be of interest. I can send you or post (different thread?) some really cool photos that a friend recently sent me. They show a very old Ludwig kit that an elderly neighbour had and played for decades in Eastern BC., Canada. The friend bought the drums and donated them to the Ludwig Drum Museum in Chicago. There's photos and a few lines in an email.
    Gary

User Info Menu

what a pritty man....

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Ask!!!! Don't be Embarrassed!

But when in doubt, just ask.

to be sure...to...be sure.

User Info Menu

From what I've seen, most US based companies use depth x diameter ie: Ludwig, Gretsch, DW. Overseas companies seem to use diameter x depth ie: Pearl, Yamaha, Premier. I guess its a weights and measures thing, America always has to be different. I've always used depth x diameter, but I guess thats because I've always played on Gretsch and Ludwig.

User Info Menu

Hint: Depth is rarely larger than diameter.

I cruise dozens of sale ads a day and I can remember only ONE time that it was the opposite, and there was a picture of the ridiculously long bass drum that made it obvious anyways...

So I just use the rule of thumb that the diameter is always the bigger one. Simple.

And now guess the diameter of a 16x16 tom? You can't go wrong!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus