Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum skills, what do you use?

User Info Menu

Default Drum skills, what do you use?

I am a self-taught drummer, been playing off and on since 1976. I learned by watching and playing to records, that’s right vinyl records; it was always a challenge to place the turntable so it did not skip while I played.

A friend showed me the two stroke, and paradiddle rolls about ten years into my playing, never really spent the time to get them down, never used them either. Recently I started to take lessons for the first time, to expand my vocabulary and to just be a better drummer, I am still struggling with the two stroke roll and paradiddle, I know that these rudiments improve your playing and can only be a good thing.

Most of the drummers now days have very strong rudimentary skills, and they use them in there playing, at least in there demonstrations, and solo’s, my question is how often do you all use these rudiments in your every day playing. I am pretty much a single stroke player and mix things up just by bouncing randomly around the kit , it works for me but my desire to be more trained has taken me down the “teach an old dog a new trick” path.

Is there hope for this old dog?

KM
    http://www.myspace.com/thebanters

I'm still the best Keith Moon type drummer in the world
    My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John.
    - Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum skills, what do you use?

Welcome to Drum Chat kickman. Yes, you can learn this after many years but you may need to change your mindset. Get "very" serious and dedicated to learning this once and for all and do not accept failure as an option. Do not worry about their use so much right now. Trust me when I say; a whole new world of drumming will be opened up to you when you start to master double stroke rolls and paradiddle-like combinations.

I advise taking one rudiment at a time. As a self-described "old dog", the narrowing should help you with focus and discipline. Tackle just that one rudiment and commit to practicing a certain amount of time each day. Have the discipline to follow it through. If you don't think you have it, get a teacher. A qualified drum teacher will hold you accountable for practicing.

If you do these few simple things, you will see great progress and you will be well on your way to another level of playing. You can do it! - Believe in yourself!

User Info Menu

WTG Kickman! Learning something new can be the most frustrating - and the most rewarding, all at the same time! I started with a new teacher about a month ago, and am going through the pain of unlearning a few bad habits, and learning some new things. What I am learning now will really help me tremendously with the double strokes, and the paradiddles. I had gotten lazy in my grip, and when my teacher corrected it, she told that it was holding back my speed.

Hang in there, because you are building new muscle memory that will pay off sooner than later!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Practice those as much as you can. You'll be able to do ALOT more! Those two are two of the easiest things for me to do because I've practiced nearly nonstop with those. Use pencils if you have to. (I do!! no joke)
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

OK guys, you have sent me over the edge into the abyss of drum practice, I will commit to playing every day for one hour, I have a practice pad, being if I sit at my kit it is easy for me to get detracted and go off on a tangent with my toms, good Idea no?

Thanks for the encouragement, and I will let you know in one month my leaps and bounds.

KM

- Keith Moon-

Larrysperf Guest

Never to old to learn as we are always learning. Thats the great thing about drumming you are always learning

User Info Menu

And when you're learning your rudiments, you're not simply learning one way of doing things. Mix them up, play them backwards or left-handed, use different parts of your set. That's where rudiments will help you. It's more about learning stick control and natural sticking then about learning a particular rudiment.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

There is always hope.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Kickman I am in the same boat so your not alone maybe we can encourage each other so we both can learn the new tricks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leeman_36 View Post
    Kickman I am in the same boat so your not alone maybe we can encourage each other so we both can learn the new tricks
    You guys should video how you are playing now and then post a new vid every week for 4 weeks and let's see the progress.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kickman View Post
    OK guys, you have sent me over the edge into the abyss of drum practice, I will commit to playing every day for one hour, I have a practice pad, being if I sit at my kit it is easy for me to get detracted and go off on a tangent with my toms, good Idea no?

Thanks for the encouragement, and I will let you know in one month my leaps and bounds.

KM

Keep it fun....other wise it ends up feeling like a chore and will never get done .

If it means practicing on the set and then messing around the toms ,them so be it .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

steel lots of chops

and pull them out at the right time

User Info Menu

OK, there is progress, but slowly and this is expected. Here is what I have noticed, my right hand I hold the stick further down then my left hand, I will try and keep them equal, but the left always goes higher up on the stick, and the right goes lower. I will study what I am doing, how it feels and try and mimic this on my left, but still holding it higher. Is this something normal?

Secondly, although I am just really just getting into stick control, my right stroke hits at the same spot every time, like a machine would, my left is all over the place, within lets say a nickel size spot. I know it will get tighter, just my observations at this point, back to practice, oh, one last question, should you practice double stroke in ascending speeds, slow to fast, fast to slow, or just at a steady speed.

KM

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Well since i'm pretty much in the same boat as you I can say this. Take it slow and get the basics down, I started playing when I was 13 or so and played until I was 18, self taught but I took lassons for a few weeks in there somewhere.

I started playing again in Feb of this year and I also started taking lessons with a Berklee grad, pro studio, Pearl endorsed drum teacher. I cant tell you how much I've progressed since I stared lessons. Those rudiments are really coming in handy on the kit now, I still have to work at them everyday but it's getting better and better.

Too keep thing interesting, we breakdown songs and use them as a lesson tool.
    For instance I was trying to learn the intro to Kryptonite by 3 doors down so we used that as part of our lessons. it's a combo of triplets accented on the 2 & 4 along with a shuffle pattern moving along at 199BPM. I have the groove down now but I just gotta work on the speed, I can get about 150BPM now.

just have fun and keep at it. things will get easier and it'll open up a whole new level of playing for you

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Secondly, although I am just really just getting into stick control, my right stroke hits at the same spot every time, like a machine would, my left is all over the place

This is perfectly normal and is why the exercises are called STICK CONTROL.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kickman View Post
    OK, there is progress, but slowly and this is expected. Here is what I have noticed, my right hand I hold the stick further down then my left hand, I will try and keep them equal, but the left always goes higher up on the stick, and the right goes lower. I will study what I am doing, how it feels and try and mimic this on my left, but still holding it higher. Is this something normal?

Secondly, although I am just really just getting into stick control, my right stroke hits at the same spot every time, like a machine would, my left is all over the place, within lets say a nickel size spot. I know it will get tighter, just my observations at this point, back to practice, oh, one last question, should you practice double stroke in ascending speeds, slow to fast, fast to slow, or just at a steady speed.

KM
    That issue with holding the sticks is a common issue I think, and it will just take forcing yourself and being conscious of it. I have an issue at the moment of holding my hands with thumbs up, while the guy I'm learning off is intent on getting me to have my hands in a palms down position. It's taking work, but focusing on it and forcing it is making it easier as I progress with it. Normally I woudl say this is a non issue, but 1 - he is WAAAAAY better thna me and 2 - the intent her eis for techniques that will be of benefit to my drumming are done with this hand/wrist position and way of holding the stick - so it makes sense to start teaching myself now to hold the sticks in that way.

Another tip he gave me was on my practice pad, to draw a circle, about the size of a local 20 cent peice (i'm in Australia), which is probably about an inch diameter and aim for every hit to be in that spot. This way I'll have more precision and intention in my strokes. Again - it's slowly comming together.

Third thing was work more on the technique and being steady than speed. Speed comes naturally as the muscles get used to the movements and things, its a natural part of the progression. The hard part is doing it RIGHT and this is where your focus should be. Ensuring your movements are deliberate and controlled, and are being done with the correct technique is the purpose at this stage. You should only be doing it as quick as you can maintain correct technique and good steady timing. Once you start to lose either of those two things, your attempting it to quickly.

I've been doing this for 1 week only - already noticing improvement in my control and being more consious of each stroke I play - it also makes me a more confident player, knowing that I'm not just hitting things, but making specific, deliberate and controlled strokes and this is definately showing in my playing style and ability already.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

i think your all weak and need a good

nah just kidding

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i think your all weak and need a good

nah just kidding
    The weak start out, weak, but soon (after many beatings with the whip) become strong and soon rise above their oppressors.

KM

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

My first post. woooooooooooo.

I started playing and taking lessons 6 months ago, after my son moved and left his drums with us.

I can do parradiddles pretty easily and move them around the kit from hats to snare and back and forth now.

It took me quite a bit of practice but I'm sure you( Kickman) will grab it pretty fast if youve been playing that long as you say.

I'm 53 and I'm just frikkin lovin' playing.

Nice to meet everyone.

User Info Menu

O Canada, Welcome!!

Nice you can do paradiddles easilly.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

thanks CB for the welcome.

I practiced the shat outta the parradiddles lol

I am glad I'm paying for lessons. It really helps.

I dont think I have any particular talent but I practice every day and I love the drums

stay cool- Canada180

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Canada!

I got you beat in age by a year Canada, and I started playing for the first time 2 1/2 years ago. I took lessons at a drum shop in town for a year, but was unhappy with the lack of structure in the lessons, so I just went self-taught for a year. I just started lessons with a seasoned pro a couple of months ago, and I am going through the pain of unlearning some bad habits that I have acquired, while also going back and doing rudimental snare work. My drum teacher doesn't miss a thing, and holds me accountable. I can't imagine being without a coach again.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey Canada...you have a fantastic attitude about what you're doing and it will pay you back in spades. Keep up the good work and enjoy your drumming!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

~ ol' Canada seems to be fittin in. Methinks I'm gonna like it here.

lol

Thanks for the friendly welcome guys.

Nice , nice forum you guys have here.

Canada180- stay cool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canada180 View Post
    I dont think I have any particular talent but I practice every day and I love the drums
    i dont think you need more than this to become a great drummer