Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I get that really tight snare sound

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do I get that really tight snare sound

wats up ive been looking for my snare to sound like this for a while now ...any suggestion ...the audio kind of sucks but you'll hear the snare.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig8Yuc-Akn4"]YouTube - Job for a cowboy[/ame]

User Info Menu

still no help...............comon anyone

User Info Menu

the black panther snare they sell as "Chris's snare" is not. The one in stores is 8 ply.

Chris plays on a version of that snare that is 30 ply. The same way a Manu Katche snare (yamaha) comes in 14x5, 14x6, 14x7 depth options, the thickness (not depth) of the shell is one he opted for. unfortunately they dont sell it to the public. it requires way too much wood and way too much workmanship to mass produce. The way it changes the sound is there is less room for air to move, it actually creates an hour glass kind of shape to the shell when looked at as a cross section. This raises the pitch and deadens the sustain allowing for a faster more pronounced snare beats. This is the same basic concept as metalheads who use constant double pedal to use a "click" or tap noise instead of a rolling/humming kick drum sound you would get by really playing a double pedal that fast.

NEVER crank your snares all the way tight and never crank the heads all the way tight either...you will flatten your snare beds, smooth your bearing edges, and constantly be replacing heads and snares, probably along with a few lugs, tension rods, and throw offs. Marching drums are made with special rims, edges, lugs, and heads so they can take the pressure that your snare could not handle.

...just took a listen to the Jason Yates video as well, thats a coated evans G1 batter head. they are just about useless to the average player because unless your a pro, you cant afford to change that head every practice/show/jam.

just so you get a visual, take a look at the second picture of this link...look at how thick this snare is (best i could find on short notice)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Made-1-Th...d=p3286.c0.m14

hope that helps
    Last edited by El-kevo the drumtech; 09-08-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added link...

User Info Menu

Tune it up tight, choose your head carefully, and, if necessary, use a rem-o.

User Info Menu

oh ok thanks

User Info Menu

gotta love 13" snares
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerbomb91 View Post
    ive always wanted the sound of the snare in this video how to i get it to sound like that

YouTube - Matisyahu - King Without A Crown
    probably got that sound by the mixing process using mics. it is possible to achieve that sound by standard tuning w/o mics by a combination of the right head and tension combinations on the drum.
    Practice doesn't make Perfect, Practice makes Permanent!