Thread: new toys!

User Info Menu

Default new toys!

Today was a good day indeed! I got my Pearl Eliminator Double Pedals from craigslist at an awesomee price, along with a new OCDP 14 X 6.5 X-series maple snare in gunmetal sparkle. I haven't used either of them on yet because my kit is in shambles at the moment. so the following is based mostly on cosmetics.

I'll start with the snare drum. I got it from GC for 99$, which seems like an awesome deal for a full-size, all maple snare drum. From the pictures on GC i wasn't too fond of the offset lugs, or the color. But in person, the finish is beautifull, much deeper than in the picture, and I actually like the offset lugs now that I have the drum. The throw-off seems very sturdy and well-built. The only complaints I have, as of now, is that the stock heads are crap, and the washers on the lugs will have to be replaced. They are made of a cheap plastic material, but I'm not surprised about either of these things, given the price. I can't wait to play this thing. I did a quick retune on the stock heads, and I can tell this thing has a powerful sound.

And now for the Eliminators. There's not too much I can say about these that hasn't been said on here before. I will say, however, that I can't wait to play around with all the different positions, angles, beater sides, cams, etc, etc.. talk about adjustability! I will pose a question to all of the other Elim. owners on here. Which cam is your favorite, and why?

Pearl 2002 Eliminator Double Pedal
    Pearl Cymbal Stands
    14" Tosco Hi-Hats
    20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride
    19" Sabian Signature Saturation Crash

User Info Menu

Default Re: new toys!

Congrats!! When you get a chance to play the snare a little more, could you give us a fair review of it? I personally thought it sounded pretty darn good, but online so many people are ripping it. It would be nice to get an unbiased review if you could. And those are some great pedals also!
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

how many bass pedals do you have? double counts as 2 singles here.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Congrats man! It is also maybe possible to get a review of the pedals? They're on my shortlist for some new ones
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Those are some great buys, once you get your kit back up I'm sure they'll be a blast to play. Have fun man, and a review of that snare would be great, I've never actually seen a snare with offset lugs before, but it looks great.

~Cheers
    If the house is Rocking,
    Don't bother Knocking,
    Just come on In.

My drums are my babies,
    AND I BEAT THEM.

User Info Menu

haha concrete that's just my old pearl p-120 single pedal that got replaced by the elims., so counting that, the luddy single that came with my kit and the cheap pdp doubles i have, thats 6 pedals all together?

so i set up my kit and played her with the snare and I have to say I like the sounds im getting out of it even with the stock heads and 10 mins of tuning. I'm going to change the heads this weekend because after 30 mins of playing the top heads coating is already coming off (darn stock heads). so I'll give a full review after i change the heads. It's definitely got the warmest tone of the snares I own (ludwig epic birch/maple, ludwig accent snare (poplar?) It has a nice full sound to it and is reallyyyy loud. Also I was really surprised at how sensitive it is, even the lightest touches get the snares goin. I'm very excited to change the heads because I know the sound will be 10 fold better, so I'll update you guys after I change the heads and snare wires.
    Pearl 2002 Eliminator Double Pedal
    Pearl Cymbal Stands
    14" Tosco Hi-Hats
    20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride
    19" Sabian Signature Saturation Crash

User Info Menu

Hey Mike...good for! For the price, you get to experience something different by way of a snare drum and that is always a good thing. I can't help you with the Pearls as I've never been to interested in double pedals. However, you will find all sorts of information regarding this and there is a thread specific to this.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

snare is wiered!!! but i am aure it's great!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike049 View Post
    haha concrete that's just my old pearl p-120 single pedal that got replaced by the elims., so counting that, the luddy single that came with my kit and the cheap pdp doubles i have, thats 6 pedals all together?

so i set up my kit and played her with the snare and I have to say I like the sounds im getting out of it even with the stock heads and 10 mins of tuning. I'm going to change the heads this weekend because after 30 mins of playing the top heads coating is already coming off (darn stock heads). so I'll give a full review after i change the heads. It's definitely got the warmest tone of the snares I own (ludwig epic birch/maple, ludwig accent snare (poplar?) It has a nice full sound to it and is reallyyyy loud. Also I was really surprised at how sensitive it is, even the lightest touches get the snares goin. I'm very excited to change the heads because I know the sound will be 10 fold better, so I'll update you guys after I change the heads and snare wires.
    i know what you mean by the head being very very sinsitive, i put a remo powerstroke 3 on my catalina maple snare and i will give light taps and it picks up easily
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Mike, looks like some very solid purchases. Beautiful snare! I'll look forward to hearing more about what you think as you play them more.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Larrysperf Guest

I use red cam with blue belt , med tension on springs

User Info Menu

Nice looking snare ,congrats on the new toys .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Congrats...new toys are always fun!!!!!
    Yamaha Absolute Maple - Apple Sparkle Fade
    2 - 22x18 kick,10x9, 12x10, 13x11, 14x12, 16x16 - toms
    14x5.5 absolute snare