Thread: Small Room, Small Recorder.

User Info Menu

Default Small Room, Small Recorder.

Hey guys, My drums are in a small, small room, so recording is really hard. The only reason I really want to record my playing is to play it back and see what I need to work on. A tape recorder doesn't do the trick.

Any suggestions?

~Cheers
    If the house is Rocking,
    Don't bother Knocking,
    Just come on In.

My drums are my babies,
    AND I BEAT THEM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Small Room, Small Recorder.

Small rooms are not that bad IF it is acoustically treated. Firstif it is sitting on rug that is on hard wood is best. If you are on carpet then sometimes people will place their kit on plywood. If the ceiling is acoustic tile the you are golden, but if it is dry wall you are going to be have slap back echo issues. I am assuming the walls are perpendicular to each other causing a box shape. Again this going to give all types of slap back echo. If you can break up the walls with acoustic treatment this will go a long way to improve the overall sound for recording. The best would be carpet or rugs hanging on the walls but anything that absorbs sounds will work. Now, once you have the acoustics in your room handled then it is time to record. Sounds like you want an overall good sound without massive amounts equipment. There are a ton of guys on here that can guide you on this. I personally would mic my bass, snare and have two overhead mics for ambience if I were you. This could run into a mixing board which then could run straight into your computer via multiple interfaces ( m-audio, etc... Just check any of the music centers on line or in your area). If the A/D (audio/digital) interface has enough inputs then you could forgo the mixing board and mix your track directly in your computer using any of the software that comes with the A/D interfaces. As you can see there are multiple ways to skin a cat. Take your pick.

User Info Menu

Wow, sounds like quite the operation. Good thing a guy I used to be in a band with has all that stuff, I'll talk to him about that. Rugs on the wall is a good idea, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Right now my kit is sitting on hardwood, should I get a rug?

~Cheers
    If the house is Rocking,
    Don't bother Knocking,
    Just come on In.

My drums are my babies,
    AND I BEAT THEM.

User Info Menu

Awesome!!!!!! you have hard woods. Get a rug. It will help a lot!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help!

~Cheers
    If the house is Rocking,
    Don't bother Knocking,
    Just come on In.

My drums are my babies,
    AND I BEAT THEM.

User Info Menu

No problemo. Believe it or not, but you CAN get a great recording out of a home set up. I record in my home studio downstairs which is about 20 by 25 feet in dimension with A Digidesign 002 rack with a black lion mod and interfaced with an ADA 800 again with Black lion modification. When I send my dry tracks to my brother ( studio engineer) for mixing he is very happy with the quality and says he can not tell the difference from my quality of recording versus the really high end studios.

Hope everything goes well. Keep us up to date on your progress.