Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: left rhythm hand

User Info Menu

Default left rhythm hand

okay you know how you usually hit the crash or hat or ride with your right hand. well i've found that i can do more stuff with my right hand on the snare than my left on the snare when i beat the hat or crash with my left hand? is that normal?
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

can u play better with ur left leg or right leg ?? maybe ur left side is more flexible .....i m lefty so i play with my kit around...try it ..turn ur kit around and play if ur morre comfortable likee tht then stick to it or u could play open style

User Info Menu

Well, if you're right handed. You're going to have more dexterity in your right hand which will allow you to "do more". That's as far as I got in trying to understand what you were saying.

As for "normality", nothing is normal when it comes to drumming. It's all about personal preference really. Do whatever works for you. I bet Moeller didn't think his technique was normal when he started.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

well i can do a two handed roll with my right hand when my left hand is hitting the hat.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

Two handed roll with your right hand? That seems impossible, or at least, highly unlikely.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Being right handed, I play the HH mainly with the right hand. I do use the left a lot for cymbals, toms, etc.

Keith

User Info Menu

yeah explain the two handed roll with one hand thing to me...
    it seems impossible as ^^^he^^^ said
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

mayb he meant he can do single handed rolls faster with his right hand than left

User Info Menu

i feel if your keeping time and your comfortable with what your doing be it right or left, i think you should just flow with it. Like hellsbells said above do whatever works for you. Good luck, Braxton
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

okay in other words i can do things with my right hand that i usually need two hands for.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

this is known as open handed playing. and if you can do it it, it makes total sence and gives you alot of freedom on the kit. i have spent the better part of 2 years working on keeping time w/ my left hand....still workin'.
    for some great examples of open hand playing check carter beauford from the dave matthews band.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A1ftp8-dp8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CAM1027
    well i can do a two handed roll with my right hand when my left hand is hitting the hat.
    like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4vMV3EnRw
    and this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7rWdeY8KG8

User Info Menu

somewhat although my arm doesn't spasm as much.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

the 2nd one is a pretty old vid of john longtreth. he is awesome these days.

User Info Menu

does that mean I've mastered a totally awesome technique?
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

well, that particular technique is kinda considered cheating. but still cool. i learned it in about 10 min. check out the jo jo meyer type push/pull technique
    without using the rim. a bit harder to learn, but cleaner in my opinion.

User Info Menu

How is Freehand/One handed rolls Technique cheating? It's a technique that allows you to go faster.

I've learnt the technique, but I haven't used it in playing anything yet. I can't seem to get the snare loud enough using freehand, compared to single strokes.

As far as I'm concerned, if there's a technique out there, it's out there to be mastered.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

the rim roll (gravity blast), at least in the death metal world where i have most heard it used. was very popular a few years ago, since then...more guys are using the push pull style and moehler technique, some are REALLY playing straight singles at retarded speeds. at least in that genre many consider using the rim as a cheaters blast.
    i myself am not knocking it at all. i agree totally with your last sentence.

User Info Menu

f'in people
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

Rim roll is also problematic in that it's hard to be both loud and fast while doing it, which means that you have to either (a) trigger your snare drum to push the volume up artificially - which means loss of dynamics, ghost notes simply cease to be an option; or (b) your blast beat snare notes seem incredibly weak compared to other beats.

If you check out vids of John Longstreth (formerly Origin, currently with Skinless), the earlier stuff he was doing was rim roll, but when he blasts now he's playing straight single strokes.

I could be wrong about the Moeller technique, but I suspect that it wouldn't work too well because it naturally accents the first note, meaning that any blast beat you played with it would sound stuttered and uneven.

The Jo Jo Mayer push/pull thing would sound perfect. I saw him at a clinic (he was INSANELY good, more entertaining than Weckl by a country mile) and he said that he only ever really used it when he wanted to show off or get noticed in a drum store, and that he didn't really have much use for it otherwise. But blastbeats would seem like a cool application.

User Info Menu

see... jobby knows. lol. the moeller blast has a triplet feel too it.
    btw john is totally back in origin. and with a killer new rocketshellz kit. i also think he will be doing the next dying fetus disc too. him and the cats from origin are homies of mine from here in topeka kansas.

User Info Menu

Thank you funkymcstain for the vids, im 47 years old and never done that, i have seen it done and always wanted to learn it. so its a big help to me. Thanks again. Braxton
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends, Johnny Cash is a friend of mine. www.myspace.com/braxtonbisceglia

User Info Menu

no prob, there are tons of great drum vids on the youtube. pretty much any instructional vid out there. i love the carter beauford vids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    see... jobby knows. lol. the moeller blast has a triplet feel too it.
    btw john is totally back in origin. and with a killer new rocketshellz kit. i also think he will be doing the next dying fetus disc too. him and the cats from origin are homies of mine from here in topeka kansas.
    Holy sheeite - I couldn't imagine being able to see someone as good as Origin on a regular basis. I have to wait months between decent metal gigs (although soon to check out Suffocation!!!)

Dunno about the new Dying Fetus stuff. I'm a massive Misery Index fan, and I kinda think that when DF split that Misery Index got all the song writing talent.

I know what you mean about the triplet feel to Moeller as well - although the Jo Jo Mayer push-pull thing is a bit like an adaptation of a bit of Moeller. I was messing around with it last night, and it's cool, but still doesn't have the volume that you'd want from a proper blast beat. I think that playing straight notes controlled with fingers (the way Longstreth does on the latter Origin vids) is the way to go. This is the way that Dave Witte does it - as fast as you like and - most importantly - always with groove.

User Info Menu

this has turned into unrelated stuff
    I AM SABIAN MAN!