Thread: Bass Drum Port Hole

User Info Menu

Default Bass Drum Port Hole

Okay I'm thinking of putting a porthole on my bass drum. Whats the best place to put the porthole, and how big should it be?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Drum Port Hole

Speaking from just seeing the holes in the reso skins, not from experience here. About halfway from the edge of the drum to the center of the skin on the top left/right.

I had a drummer friend tell me that if you place your drumskin on the floor and heat up a tin can however wide you want the port to be (4-8 inches/10-20cm) and slowly press it into the skin you'll punch a hole right through. It'll be damn hot though so handle it with a oven mitt or something. As long as your patient you should come out with a perfect circle.

~Cheers
    If the house is Rocking,
    Don't bother Knocking,
    Just come on In.

My drums are my babies,
    AND I BEAT THEM.

User Info Menu

There are also cheap porting kits, $12, which basically just give you a template to use for cutting and a ring to put in the hole.

Why are you porting? As far as I know, the only real reason to port is to get a certain sound when mic'ing the drum. (Mine is ported). Many recommend not porting, even if you are going to mic.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

the bigger the hole, the less head resonance you will have. the closer to the center, the faster the air will escape also creaitng less head resonance.
    personally i like my hole somwhere between the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock postition. makes it easier to mike with a boom stand.
    as for size, that all depends. for country/rock where im mic'd, i like a 5"-6" hole at the 2 o'clock position
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

you can use a tin can on the floor but personally i think its easier and looks better with an actual port hole

User Info Menu

you may just want to buy a pre-ported head. Theres a whole science to porting drum heads, just like porting a subwoofer box.

if you get it wrong you'll never get the sound you want from your kick.

theres also a product called Holz, chrome rings in various diameters that snap together and protect the edge of the port

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Jazzkat is dead on right. I record with a D6 about 1.5 inches from the batter head and a subkick mic on the reso. I like the 1/2 o'clock position as well because the mic stand can't really get any lower to the ground.

User Info Menu

I would just get a ported head to be honest. Easier, less worry about messing it up. The Evans EQ3's are really nice.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle