Thread: Bass drum porthole question

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum porthole question

I'm just wondering about this... Can you make a porthole with the kind of jigsaw that goes in a circle without cracking the head or breaking the drum?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass drum porthole question

absolutely no idea sorry. :(
    Why you wanna do that anyway ?
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Not trying to sound arrogant or anything but I can answer most of the woodwork and saw questions you could throw at me.

I would never use a jigsaw for that, at best it will give you a very uneven cut on something thin and flexible like a drumhead. It will most likely tear it uncontrollably as you try to make a circle. I would rather shoot it with a 30-06 multiple times making one big circle or take a pocket knife to it than try using a jigsaw.

Look into the "heated can method" or get one of those porting kits.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

It seems like i read somewhere where a guy cut his with a razor knife..or at least i think that's what he used. Anyway to me it looked like crap. The hole was not neatly cut in a circle at all and didn't look very professional. Unless you have a VERY steady hand and can cut it out, i would go with a porting kit like Owens suggested. JMO.

User Info Menu

Spend 6.99 and buy a port hole cutting template.Aquarian, Remo and Holz make them.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

never use a jigsaw on anything the relates to drums.

are you talking about drilling a parthole into the side of the drumshell or the front of the head???

a hole saw can be used to drill the shell, but make sure you get some exact specs off of the internet first, you dont want that hole too big.

to cut a port into the head, follow reverend D's instructions in the previous post.