Thread: Advice on beginners starter kits

User Info Menu

Question Advice on beginners starter kits

I'm planning to take my first steps towards finally getting myself an actual drum kit for myself and start my "drumming career", haha. Thought I'd get some expert advice on whats the best way to go about it all:

Which kits are a good start for a beginner but also not something that would limit their growth? (Maybe something you could build from.)

What price range is expected for a good kit? (They range from anywhere from $199 to $1000's.)

What's expected to be included in a kit package for the prices explained? What will I probably end up having to buy on top of the kit package separately? (So I know I'm not getting ripped off.)

Any sage advice you can add?

Think lessons are a good way to start? Maybe a good way to meet people at your same playing level to jam out with or get a feel for the "scene."

Thanks in advance!

(sorry if there are other posts like this... couldn't find them.)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice on beginners starter kits

Brand names are recommended if you can afford it. It will cost you more up front but you'll get more for them if you ever decide to sell later. If you simply don't want to drop the money into a brand name kit, you can learn on any cheap starter kit just to get your feet wet. Here's a page on how to buy a drumset that will help you get more familiar. You can get a cheap starter kit with everything included for $300 or you can buy a brand name drumset for $600 to $1000. Your best bet IMO is to see if you can find a good brand name used kit. It will take some shopping around but check Ebay and Craigslist.

As always, there are a lot of knowledgable people in this forum that would be more than willing to help with drumset buying and suggestions on types, brands, etc. so ask away.

As for lessons; I suggest taking a few drum lessons in the beginning so you get started on the right foot. If you teach yourself, you can pick up some bad habits which are real hard to break later. There's also a new drum lessons section of Drum Chat if you haven't seen it yet and if you click the "Drum Links" button at the top of the page, there are numerous free sites to tips, rudiments, lessons and more.

Good luck and welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

drummer offers good advice , your best bet may be buying something used just to see if its something you really like and will stick with it .

If it is then you can sell it and upgrade to a better set .IMO , I suggest buying the highest grade cymbals you can afford ,they will last you from one set to another and can make a cheap entry level kit sound even beter .

And definately lessons to start if you havent played before .

Good luck , and welcome to the board .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I'm in basically the same boat as you.

I've been taking lessons for about three months now and am at the point where I need to get a set. I've been looking at both new and used kits, but can't decide what I want.

I would highly suggest taking lessons as well. It's quite easy to develop bad habits when you're starting out and if you don't have an instructor pointing them out you will be limited in your ability as you advance.

If I was you, I would do as I have done and take lessons for a few months before purchasing a kit. You don't need a kit just starting out and you'll know if drumming is something you want to stick with before you make a large investment.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

User Info Menu

Its all about your budget tbh. I would definitely consider used. How long have you been playing? Is it something you are passionate about and know you will want to pursue? If so maybe go for a better, mid range used kit (depends on budget-maybe an export, m birch, tama superstar etc) which might come with extras also such as cymbals. Alternativly you could get a cheaper unbranded kit which wouldnt last as long but would give you a good feel for drums

User Info Menu

Crash, in order to get a better quality of cymbals, I would consider buying a better qulity kit, but used. The money you save could be used to upgrade from entry level cymbals (ZBT, or the equivalent). Many used kits can be bought with hardware, and might even include cymbals. Keep in mind that good cymbals can be as expensive as buying the kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have the ludwig cs combo. It's a really good begginner set. I got mine for $320 on ebay. You can always go with a used kit also.

User Info Menu

a better ludwig accent, ddrum makes some cheap kits, gretsch has a cheap one i think, just look around, i would reccomend getting a good crash, hh, and ride is better than a load of planet z's, just keep that in mind

User Info Menu

Look around for used and new deals. You can spend under $400 on drums and still get good used drums (and new occasionally). Tama has a Superstar kit for $399 (you'll need hardware) but that's still a good deal. You can also find Gretsch Catalina's for $500 on sale. You can also find used and new old stock Mapex M series for like $450.

If you can afford that for drums, look for used cymbals (as most have said). Just get a ride and hi-hats. You might be able to spend only like $200-$300.

So for $750 or so you could probably have a decent used mid-range set, rather than buying a starter set for a little less (or a lot less).

If you gave us your budget we could all be more specific.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Gretsch makes GREAT sets. The Catalina is $650 new. It rules, maybe that'd be good?

User Info Menu

Go used, if i could start all over again i would deffo go for a high end used kit, the amount of money i've spent upgrading could have got me a used high end shell kit all over again, Most people on this forum would say "Go used" This has got to be one of the best bit's of advice you can get from here..And have lessons..

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

i am using a pearl forum
    before i bought my drumset
    i practiced in jamming studio on hourly rental basis for 1 year
    also on a pearl forum drumset

User Info Menu

I just got a set of Mapex Pro m's. Now is a great time to get a set since they are being phased out for a new model. I got a crazy deal. I decided I could get an intermediate set instead of a beginner set that I would outgrow soon. I'm not sure if I can post where I got them here, but if anyone wants to know send me a pm.

User Info Menu

The best thing to do is play on a friends set or a demo set in a store for a while and see if you can get the feel of the drums, that way you will know if it is something you will stick with. You should know how serious you are about playing before you decide what to should get. You should consider getting a used beginner set and a Zildjian ZBT 4-set($200). ZBT's are not very good but that will give you a great set to start on for the price. I would recommend buying used pro-quality cymbals, but there are a few problems with doing that as a starter. You want to get you technique down or you will damage your cymbals, you can learn on the ZBT's and replace them later on. You also have to play for at least a few months before you know the exact sound you are looking for. If you start out with the used beginner set and some ZBT's you can find out if drumming is your thing and end up spending very little if it isn't. When you get your technique down well and find the cymbal sounds you want you can upgrade to used pro cymbals. That will make the beginner drums sound better until you replace those with a nicer kit.

User Info Menu

Definetely have a look on the used market.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

I agree with the others...buying used is one of the best things a beginner can do to save money. Looking back on it, I wish I had gotten a used kit instead of my cheap PDP.
    Matt