Thread: drum independence

User Info Menu

Default drum independence

Hey does any one know a excercise or something that will develope independence between your hands? (youtube only has vids of independence between hands and feet) I really need to work on it because I need more control on each hand individually so i can play triplets on one hand and doubles on the other or something unusual. (for marching snare) I didnt want to post this in the marching section because its not a very active place and independence isnt just a marching thing plus its not really about marching but just to help my marching snare skills.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Default Re: independence

I'm kinda dealing with this at lessons now so maybe I can help.
    you can start by playing quarter note triplets on one hand and playing the quarter notes with the other hand. so you would be playing 1 -2 - 3- 4 on your left hand while playing 123456 on your right hand. then switch and do the quarter on your right(or whatever your dominant side is) and play the quarter note triplets on your left.

start slow and work up to a high speed, to really add a challenge count the beats out loud but keep switching between counting the quarter notes and the quarter note triplets or to really throw your brain a loop use the alphabet instead of counting numbers start out with a-b-c-d and abcdef and then when you get good with that start skipping letters so you'll have like a- c- e- g- and bdfhjl that way you'll not only develop independence between your hands but also between your brainand your hands...you'll be able to play seperate beats on each hand while ordering a cheeseburger.

I can do it up to a medium tempo using my right hand for the triplets, left hand, not so much but getting there.

you can do the same with other things like regular triplets, 16th notes etc.
    in my experience it'll be a big help with independence between your hands

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

This may sound like an oversimplified answer but if you will master just 20 of the 40 standard rudiments, I think you will be surprised at how independent your hands become.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    This may sound like an oversimplified answer but if you will master just 20 of the 40 standard rudiments, I think you will be surprised at how independent your hands become.
    I just picked up a giant poster with all the rudiments right before I saw this reply.

User Info Menu

dont forget to do rudiments with the feet also

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    dont forget to do rudiments with the feet also
    Yea I wont forget, but right now I really got to focus on my hands and build their chops and skill because its marching season soon and this is my first year on snare drum (last year I played the drum set) for my high school.

User Info Menu

get a copy of *Stick Control*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    get a copy of *Stick Control*
    I just picked up a copy of "Accent Control" a couple days ago is that the same book or different?

User Info Menu

Nope, different books. Stick Control is a totally different animal