Thread: New Heads finally

User Info Menu

Default New Heads finally

Finally got all my heads. Figured id post some comments about them. I have 3 different types of heads.

Aquarian Performance II's on the tops of all tom tom's. (10, 12, 13, 14, 16)

Aquarian Studio X on the bottoms of 10, 12, 13

and

1 Aquarian Classic Clear on the bottom of the 16

and

1 Evans Hydraulic on the bottom of my 14.

Pro's

The P II's over Studio X's give a nice low tone with hardly any over tones.
    With a moon gel on them it pretty much removes any other over tones.
    Gives me the sound (at this point) i like to hear.

and Cons

The classic clears give more over tones than id like but still a nice tone.
    The 14 floor tom has the evans head on it. I dont like the sound these two heads make at all. Im not sure if its the mix in the heads, if its the drum itself or just 1 of the 2 heads but the sound isnt a very good one. The response is a bit sluggish to. Ive been toying with the idea of tightning the heads just a bit to get a better "bounce" off the heads so I can do better fills.

I went with the Aquarian Hi Energy snare head and the Super Kick I for the bass. Just playing with no head phones the set sounds "eh so so" but when I put my head phones on and play something I really love the sound of everything.

The Sabian Paragon symbols area also "eh so so". The china sounds good but I dont hit it much afraid im gonna break it. The 16 and 18 inch crashes are my favorite, but the 18 sounds better with headphones on. All the symbals sound very heavy. Id like to find a couple symbals without that sound. Maybe a mix between a splash and a crash? The 20 inch crash sounds more like a ride to me.

Ive also descovered I play way to loud/hard. So ive been teaching myself better control and backing off a bit.

But for suggestions sake, after im done with these heads and symbols what do you suggest.

Im after a deep rock tone with good response off the heads. Cymbals I like a quick "splash" type sound.
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Heads finally

For cymbals, I would suggest fast crashes. They have the sound of a regular crash, but decay much quicker. You shouldn't have to worry about breaking your china, just make sure you are using proper technique, and hit it with a glancing blow. As far as the heads go, I don't have any experience with Aquarian's, except for the super kick 2. Anyway, I hope this helps!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

So, after all the advice I gave about checking with the Drum pros at Reiman music...where did you go?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Seems like your kit would sound completely dead. Not my taste, but if that's the sound you're after (and for many people it is) then that's great.

However, the reason your 14" tom sounds so bad and unresponsive is because you've got that super thick Hydraulic on the bottom. May I ask why you don't have the same reso heads on every tom?

For a good rock sound, I'd recommend either a head setup of double ply over single ply, or muffled double ply over single ply. Then just add rings and moongel until you get it to the sound you want. If you ever decide you don't want that dead sound, all you have to do is take off the moongel, instead of getting new heads.

Of course you just got new heads, but keep that in mind next time you're ready to replace them.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I went to Reimans after you suggested it. But since I had to take the others back (and they had what I wanted) in stock I ended in GC again. I wont be going back again though. I got a different head on the 14 just to experiment really. Im pretty sure the next set of heads ill go with 2 over 1.

I might give the evans a try next go around. Right now, im just beating on stuff. Getting my groove back and some stamina.

If I wanted Evans Heads, with a good rock tone, not as dead as I have now, what would I wanna look at?
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

Ciulmer, the Evans EC2 heads should give you a good rock sound without much of the overtones.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have EC2 coated heads on my toms, and I love em. Defiantly check em out.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi