Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I learn ALL of my rudiments?

User Info Menu

Question Should I learn ALL of my rudiments?

Well, what I mean, is should I remember EVERY SINGLE RUDIMENT there is? Or should I just be practicing them by reading them and just remembering a few?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Should I learn ALL of my rudiments?

answer - only the ones you will need.

your next question - How many of them will I need?

answer - all of them

discard the word rudiment and say patterns instead. Seems less formidable. JMHO

And rule 1 don't worry about speed, worry about timing and consistency
    Last edited by CharlyG; 07-19-2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Rudiments are nothing more than sticking patterns and their many variations...some use single strokes while others use double bounce. If you ever have to ask a question about which and how many rudiments should be learned...you're not ready to play the drums. Every beat we play is derived from combinations of rudiments...there is no other way. Learn your instrument, learn the craft and become the best that you can be. I don't mean to be rude or to put you off...it's exactly how I feel and that is commensurate with the Passion I and many others here in the Forum have for Drums.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Woah, are you implying that I have no passion? I have been playing the drums for years, I practice my rudiments ever day, I am always tapping my foot or arm because I seem to have an internal beat. I find that incredibly insulting. My question was misunderstood, I am not trying to be lazy, but I am saying do I NEED TO LEARN ALL FORTY RUDIMENTS AND MEMORIZE THEM or should I memorize a few but be ready to play the others when need be, i.e. seeing it on sheet music?

User Info Menu

If there are 40, you learn 40. I make no assumption about passion...we have it or we don't...cannot be short changed. This philosophy has kept me playing for 50 years and the fire has never dimmed. Now, am I the most fantastic rudimental, rock or jazz drummer? Good Lord, no! But I keep faith with all of you by my own attention to the detail and dedication of which I am capable. As for always tapping feet and arms...I've never seen any human without a sense of internal rhythm...it's only natural but, it takes people like you and me and the others to give sense and purpose to that idle tapping. There was nothing insulting about my response...but it did make you think.

User Info Menu

Fia, if I were to name any random rudiment could you play it? That's what I am wondering, should I be memorizing them or memorizing the most important ones? Memorizing and learning are different.

User Info Menu

Zack, I think what Frank is saying is that the one that you don't know well, might well be the one that you will need one day, and then you'll wish you knew it better. The best idea is to learn all 40, and incorporate them into your regular practice routines, then you will be prepared for anything.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Okay, but the way he said it just seemed to be hinting at my mindset. It probably didn't, I am sorry. I read into things. Yes, I will need them. I agree.

User Info Menu

Zack, the hard part about posting is that we can't see each other and see all the facial cues that tell us where the other person is coming from. Frank has been around here a long time, and being a music director/teacher, and muscian, he is passionate about learning. He sometimes tells it in a straight forward manner, but it is never his intent to be condescending. Frank is a solid guy, and I'm sure as you get to know him, you'll come to like him as much as we all do.

BTW, we don't flame people here, so you never have to worry about that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Yes, I hate forums because of that, and plus I get angry easily because I read into things. I do apologize for that. I'm young, no excuse, but it can be you old guys reasoning!!! :-D hahaha. Seriously, though, I will get to these rudiments. I just gotta get some books. Does anyone have any recommendations? It has been a long time since I've done any of that stuff.

User Info Menu

No sweat at all Zack. We're happy to have you here, and it never matters how old or young a member is. We're happy to be sharing information with each other.

User Info Menu

Awesome, that means I should help you with your technique Bob, it's really lacking...hahaha.

User Info Menu

I'll take all the help I can get Zack!

User Info Menu

Well, you need to tuck the stick under your pinky, it reallllllyyy helps like the bounce and stuff. You'll be like Jon Bonam and Neel Paeerrt in no time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    If you ever have to ask a question about which and how many rudiments should be learned...you're not ready to play the drums.
    I think that is a very arrogant way to answer a very humble and genuine question.

Whether you've been playing for 50 years or 50 minutes, manners are something that anyone can master quite easily.

User Info Menu

Frank is a teacher and he speaks like one. That is nothing more than a teacher speaking to a student, no arrogance whatsoever.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I agree. You should learn all of them. I don't know them all yet, but I'm working on it. The point is, you should always be learning something, and since rudiments ares such a...well...rudimentary part of drumming, learn them. Know them. Love them.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Yeah, I was really just simply subtly hinting at the importance of some. I get that.

User Info Menu

I honestly think the 40 rudiments are the most important thing for a percussionist to learn and practice, and I do so almost everyday. But, some of the rudiments aren't really neccessary for the average player. I'm only in high school, but I know I haven't seen half of the drag rudiments in any piece ever. I'm not calling drag rudiments useless, but if I'd prioritize all 40, the triple ratamacue would probably be last.

But still, they're the perfect things for hand speed and evening out strokes.

User Info Menu

Sunny, exactly what I was looking for. It is like scales, but how many people you the Arabian scale? You know?

User Info Menu

Hey Zack...you're plenty OK! Yeah, I'm one of the old farts and I just try to make myself and others think a little deeper into what we do. You should see/hear me when I rehearse my 18 pc. Big Band....aaaarghh!!! You got the right idea and, truth be known, I probably couldn't play any one random of the 40 you might ask for...but I should. Glad to have you here!!

User Info Menu

Rudiments are like a painters pallet. The more you know, the more creative you are able to be. Memorizing names is unimportant, you will never be in a situation where your guitar player says "I need you to put a measure of swiss army triplets in your fill". But you should know how to play them regardless. There is nothing more boring to me than hearing a drummer do the same 16th note run down the toms for every fill. Rudiments add flavor and creativity to your drumming.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Fia, are you going to have your band rehearsal outbursts released on tapes someday?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Thanks guys. Fia, are you going to have your band rehearsal outbursts released on tapes someday?
    LOL!!! That was good!

User Info Menu

Well, I may be young but I ain't no metal man! I know my Buddy and Gene! Fia, cool that you play in a big band. I would LOVE to someday.