Thread: Gretsch Slingerland

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Slingerland

Here they are, the Gretsch at the rehearsal room and the Slingys waiting in the wings for there turn....

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gretsch Slingerland

Dems Real Pretty....
    You Should Be Very Proud My Phriend....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Slingerland

I like Slingerland too, but I have my eye on those Gretsch with that Satin Flame finish.

Great drum kits you have there.

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

pure beauty

User Info Menu

Great pics, and great kits JR!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Beautiful kits, JohnnyRingo!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    guy's are you aware that depending on year the drum's were made they maybe the same drum's .It's a mater of color gretsch owned slingerland and leedy for a long time and shells interchanged one another, you may be debating over same drum's different tags.think about that? They were made in same factory just name tag's made diffrence.
    These are different shells, I know Slingerland owned Leedy for awhile and those kits have the same shells.
    The Gretsch has a thin jasper maple shell with no rings, the Slingerland is a 3ply maple/poplar'maple shell with rings, more like Ludwigs.

User Info Menu

As far as I know Gretsch used the same Jasper shells until recently, this particular kit is from the seventies, the Slingerland kit is from the sixties. I don't know what these companies did in the eighties, but the ones I have were made when Gretsch and Slingerland, (along with Ludwig and Rogers), ruled the great drum land. These were also made long before American companies started having drums made overseas so young guys could afford to buy a new Gretsch. Truth be known, they'd be better off buying a vintage Gretsch for the same price as a new Catalina or Renown maple kit. They would get a well made American kit that sounds great and will retain it's value.
    Last edited by Johnnyringo; 07-20-2009 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

The thing I like about vintage American drums is that most of the big drum companies made there own shells and they were all made in America. You knew if you bought a Gretsch it would have thin jasper shells without rings. If you bought a Ludwig you would get the 3 ply maple/poplar/maple shells. The same with Slingerland shells and Rogers used Keller shells. Now days, unless you buy a kit made in America you're pretty much getting the same maple or birch shells that they use on any brand, all made in Taiwan, they just change the hardware. That's why most modern kits made overseas sound pretty much the same. I've gone back and forth between modern and vintage and have come to the conclusion that although there are many import kits that sound good, a vintage kit is classier and like I said, retain it's value. All that being said, I do prefer modern hardware, there is no doubt the hardware is an improvement.

User Info Menu

Very nice kits johnny! You can't beat a vintage american kit.

User Info Menu

Excellent discussion in this thread...Thank you Johnny R and Leedy 2.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    guy's are you aware that depending on year the drum's were made they maybe the same drum's .It's a mater of color gretsch owned slingerland and leedy for a long time and shells interchanged one another, you may be debating over same drum's different tags.think about that? They were made in same factory just name tag's made diffrence.
    Gretsch didn't accquire Leedy and Slingerland until 1980 and only held on to them for 10 years. Slingerland did however buy out Leedy in the late 50s. In the early days Ludwig, WFL, Leedy, Noble & Cooley, and George Way all changed hands several times and were at sometimes owned by the same companies, we are talking 40s and 50s here. Shells and hardware were often times interchangable as Leedy2 said. However Gretsch has always been its own entity. Up until the mid 50s they made their own 3ply shells at their Brooklyn plant, then they switched to 6ply maple/gum shells made by the Jasper Wood Co. in Illinois and used them exclusively through the early 90s. Rogers and others used Jasper shells at one point, but the formula was not the same.

User Info Menu

both are very beautiful
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

As far as I know, Slingerland is still in existance and owned by Gibson guitars.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Slingerland drums are available but through very limited dealership. I checked several months ago and the closet to me would be Lexington, KY...about a 12-14 hour drive.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Slingerland drums are available but through very limited dealership. I checked several months ago and the closet to me would be Lexington, KY...about a 12-14 hour drive.
    And they are also very pricy.

User Info Menu

Very nice
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Thanks for that link Leedy2, very interesting timeline!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Gretsch Slingerland

JR, those Slingerlands are awesome...remind me of a red-white-and-blue sparkle 5-piece kit I had as my first drum set...kinda wish I had them back now that I've seen yours!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

In March 1955, Bill Ludwig Jr. and Henry "Bud" Slingerland met to divvy up the stock for their two companies - Ludwig & Ludwig for the Ludwig Drum Company and U.G. Leedy Manufacturing Company (established in 1895) for Slingerland. This came about because the C.G. Conn Corporation, which had Ludwig and Leedy, was in debt and had to sell some divisions. For a reported $190,000, Ludwig got their name back (they had been called WFL Drums) as well as publications, machinery, tools, dies and so on and Slingerland acquired similar materials.