Thread: Practice a lot a little OR a little a lot

User Info Menu

Default Practice a lot a little OR a little a lot

Kind of a mixed up title, but I was wanted to get your guy's take on something. Let's say you have a gig list of many songs.

A - Is it better to practice one-at-a-time for a longer period of time - which means there is more time between playing a piece but has the potential to help you develop more muscle memory.

OR

B - Is it better to play them all for a shorter period of time so you can fit more of them into your practice routine? This would keep them all fresh in your mind, but they may not become as ingrained nor would you be used to playing them for longer periods.

So what do you think? A, B, or some sort of hybrid of the two?
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice a lot a little OR a little a lot

Great thought-provoking question. I think it depends on the individual as we are all different and have our strengths and weaknesses. For me, I tend to learn better the first way.

User Info Menu

Having done it both ways, I prefer nailing them one at a time. THEN, you can go through them as if a real set.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I admit to being a one at a time guy too, but once I have a grasp of the song - even if it's not 100% yet - I tend to move to plan B.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Practice a lot a little OR a little a lot

Put me in the hybrid camp, dudes...

This may not sound drum-related, but the late Marion Lorne (Aunt Clara on "Bewitched") was told by a director in one episode to not worry about learning her lines properly (you may remember Aunt Clara as the bumbling, fumbling older witch who somehow mixed up her spells and got everyone into trouble).

Miss Lorne told the director: "You don't understand. I have to learn how to say the lines the right way before I can screw them up." In other words, she had to learn her new material and get it down before she could play around with it, so to speak.

As for a drummer learning songs, you have to learn each song one at a time; once you've got each song down, then you can review all of the songs to keep your chops sharp on all of them. It builds not only your repertoire, but also your skill!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I've been in this boat with a band I was in a few yrs. ago. This band Southbound is a southern rock cover band covering everything from the Almans to ZZ top.

I got a song list that was over whelming,,,somewhere around 150 songs.
    The entire Lynard Skynard catolouge (yes, even freebird) all the SRV stuff, it was just a crazy list at first.I went thru the list and looked at all the songs that had a signature fill in them.Think Genesis *dead of night* fill, ZZ top Le'grange fills etc.

Got all those down and moved on to making cheat notes of all the structures of the tunes I didn't already know from hearing them since birth..haha. Just simple cheat notes like A (being the verse) 4 (how many measures) and stuff like that.Went and recorded the band at a show and went back and played to the tape a bunch of times.

Check off what ya have down and put a *?* with a *A* next to a song title to get back to the ones I didn't have down yet. *?* = not sure of the song/structure..*A* = in the verse part , just an ex. then just worked on those.Got them all pretty quickly and just went with it.I had to get them all down and then work on vocal parts on top of that, but I won't get into that.

Hardest thing was the SRV shuffles, and getting them to sound nice and even, and flowing like the should. If I spent the time doing 1 song at a time I'ld still be on that damn list. There's no need of playing all the parts that are simple 2-4, when you can spend the time getting the structures and the little signature fills that every good air drummer is waiting to hear. Of course you have to practice but to get a good grip on a set list and in a reasonable amount of time, just break the songs down on some cheat notes.

User Info Menu

One at a time.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I would say A because if you try to cram them in you wont remember them as well but if you spend time each song you will become better at those.
    All the best!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I work on 10-20 at a time, I'll go through each one and get the basic groove down and then go back to the top of the list work on one until I get sick of listening to it, switch to the next, later , rinse, repeat

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

This has all been some really great feedback so far. I am in a hand drum percussion ensemble and we have been learning a ton of afrocuban rhythms with multiple drum parts.

I normally try and break my practice time into thirds, 1/3 rudiments, 1/3 learning something new (typically each drum part of an ensemble piece until I get it), 1/3 review. But lately I have been finding that the review portion is taking more and more time as I learn more rhythms and practice each of the 3 ~ 5 drum parts.... thus my question and wondering if I should switch things up a bit.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

I learn method A
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    This has all been some really great feedback so far. I am in a hand drum percussion ensemble and we have been learning a ton of afrocuban rhythms with multiple drum parts.

I normally try and break my practice time into thirds, 1/3 rudiments, 1/3 learning something new (typically each drum part of an ensemble piece until I get it), 1/3 review. But lately I have been finding that the review portion is taking more and more time as I learn more rhythms and practice each of the 3 ~ 5 drum parts.... thus my question and wondering if I should switch things up a bit.
    Middy, is it possible that you can rotate your practices among the three? One practice session, for example, for the ruds, one for the new parts, and one for the general review? Maybe focusing on one issue at a time might be the change of pace you need...

You could always switch things around if you're working on a tough ensemble piece, but it seems to me you're trying to keep up with everything--that's awesome but it could be confusing if you try to do it all in one practice session! Keep up the great work, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

It depends on the song, how well you know it already, how well you need to know it for the gig. I don't see there is a set answer.

I learn the tunes I have never heard first then I can fake the others if I run out of time before the gig.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

What it really boils down to is this question. If you have a limited amount of time and a certain number of songs, do you prefer to play all of them OK, or some of them great? If time is not an issue, you have to figure out which works best for you? Will you get burned out playing the same song over and over? Will you be able to keep up if you keep switching songs?
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

All very good points. I think I am going to change things up a bit. I like the idea of dedicating a practice to a certian purpose. Thus, have a practice of all rudiments, one of new stuff, and then a couple where I focus on maybe 1/4 or a 1/3 of the set list.

User Info Menu

Yea I like to work on one song at a time to perfect it if I have the time, but if I was crunched on time I would just learn the basics of the song.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

My take - depends on the drummer, and it depends on the song.

If the song is complex or has signature "moments" that should be nailed, then more time investment is needed.

If the song maintains a basic groove and does not highlight the drumming, then less time investment is required.

If the drummer is well versed in the style being played and can improvise or recover should any problems arise, then less time investment is required.

If the drummer is new to the style and / or lacking the experience to manage thru any challenges, then more time is required.

Now blend all of this together, and apply to each song...
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

The experts say to "play a little alot". Drummon

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard joy! And you brought everything back full circle in a nutshell!

Charlie

User Info Menu

For myself, I tend to separate into both camps. I practice routines to build that muscle memory you mentioned. I have no doubt that I will call on those some day according to a song or chart my band may one day play. Because Big Band Jazz, I have no concerns about learing a piece because I can read the music and have the know how and playing experience to handle it. On the other hand, whenever I do confront a chart that is not as comfortable for me, I then throw that into my Muscle Memory routine. Good example is a terrific arrangement of a Latin chart titled Manteca. Man, this is about as wild as a Jazz Latin tune drummers love to dig into. The pattern, however, caused me some problem because it can be played so linear.
    I finally got it licked but it took a bit of time for me.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

What you guys practice? But seriuosly I have never been good at learning complete songs I have always improvised(maybe that's why I'm not in a band,LOL) F/T

User Info Menu

My band never practices. We dont have time.
    Most of the songs Ive learned lately come from the guitarist starting it onstage and we just play it. Mind you most of the songs I have heard a million times on the radio and after 30yrs of playing you just get the feel for how songs are meant to go. It also helps if you have a "band leader" who is good at giving you visual clues for stops.

User Info Menu

I practice a little. And when I do... I do a little.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."