Thread: Ludwig Epic Snare - reviews

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Epic Snare - reviews

Finally used the Ludwig Epic at band practice. Not the best venue for testing it out, but I definitely have some early thoughts.

For the money, this snare sounds and looks great. I got mine for $99, but MF still have them for $129 I believe. The snare has a great crack to it, with solid attack, and yet is still very sensitive and sounds great when playing quietly. It has nice punch and yet cut through the guitars very easily. I does seem to have a generally high tone compared to my older Tama Artwood, but you can definitely hear the difference between the all birch of the Tama and the birch/maple of the Ludwig. Keep in mind this is all with the stock head.

I found the snare very easy to tune, although I'm still working out a snare buzz from the kick, and very easy to get a good sound out of. Much easier, for comparison's sake, than my son's Tama Superstar (birch/basswood) snare.

Probably the only knock so far is the "vintage" finish on the hoops doesn't look super high quality. I have to contact Ludwig about it and see what they can do. Fortunately it doesn't affect the sound.

So for now, I could wholeheartedly recommend the snare, especially considering the price range.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Epic Snare

Excellent Jesse! As you say, for the price point we get a decent enough drum to add to our gear and not have to regret that.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I'll tell you it is good enough that I would consider getting a whole kit, compared to Meridians, Superstars, Catalinas, and all the mid-range stuff.

They have a "Downbeat" 4 pc shell pack for only like $650 or something but hard to find and no $$$ right now. Definitely on my radar however.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

off topic, those ludwig elements remind me of this one set of birch premiers. ludwig is doing great things right now
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments