Thread: Yet another new project...

User Info Menu

Default Yet another new project...

I just scored this sweet little mahogany quinto for a super price . It needs a little work, 2 new hooks, and a new skin. I'll give the full run down on the condition when it gets to me. I just can't pass on these guys, the gon bops shape just lures me in .

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Yet another new project...

Cool Gon Bops, man...although I think it's already gettin' to you before it's even delivered! Of course the Gon Bops sound gets to a lot of people, too!

Rock it, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yet another new project...

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I just scored this sweet little mahogany quinto for a super price . It needs a little work, 2 new hooks, and a new skin. I'll give the full run down on the condition when it gets to me. I just can't pass on these guys, the gon bops shape just lures me in .

You have a great hobby Gretsch...
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Looks good! The stainless looks like it doesn't need polishing, i have the same hardware on mine! This type of hardware had a name but I can't remember what it was. Very cool find Gretschhead!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

The rims are the super series, the side plates however are not as common as the horizontal rectangle plates we are used to seeing. The catalog from 1973 that is posted on vintagedrumguide.com shows a set of hardware that they call African. The plates look very similar to those, though the rim is completely different. I'd be currious to know how long they made drums with these plates and when they were using them.

User Info Menu

Your right Gretschhead, The bracket is part of the African hardware line part #AB30 and the crown is part of the super hardware line part #CC30. I have yet to see a Gon Bops conga with the African crown. Keep us posted on the restoration, I know it will look sweet when your done just like your Cuban project did!

User Info Menu

Nice find Ghead , Im always looking for something like that to come my way .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I would have congas all over the house if my wife would let me. They are beautiful!!! Djembe's too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdl1881 View Post
    I would have congas all over the house if my wife would let me. They are beautiful!!! Djembe's too.
    I'm in the same boat brother! I think congas are beautiful, they have shapes nice like large vases, nice wood grains, I think they add to the decor of a home but I have to keep mine contained to one room.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Nice project piece, I seem happiest when refinishing or over hauling some thing. Lookin forward to the progess report. F/T

User Info Menu

The quinto showed up yesterday . The shell is in great shape, no cracks or significant damage, just a little road rash here and there. The head is completely busted though and will have to be replaced. The hardware looks pretty good and will polish up nicely. Its missing 2 tension hooks, which isn't a big deal I can probably get a pair for less than $20 somewhere on the web. Overall its a solid little 9.5" quinto, and will be a blast to restore. I plan to do a step by step thread with pictures of the restore, I think BC had inquired about a step by step process?

User Info Menu

I would be appreciated to see your process and progress, I have always done it without any idea of what the heck I'm doing. Hope you can find those replacement parts without alot of hassle. F/T

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Yet another new project...

Quote Originally Posted by jdl1881 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    I'm in the same boat brother! I think congas are beautiful, they have shapes nice like large vases, nice wood grains, I think they add to the decor of a home but I have to keep mine contained to one room.
    L4C
    Only trouble is, L4C, you'd be re-changing the decor every five minutes because you'd be rockin' the congas every time you'd walk past one! I know I would!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Gretschhead......Those tuning hooks look just like the ones I took off the oak Quinto I got from you. I think my hooks will work well on your quinto because your side plates are not like mine. Mine are the international plates that have that extra riveted piece and the hooks I took off of them did not line up straight up and down to the crown, but I think they will line up nicely on your type of side plates. Let me know if you want me to send you two of them.
    TROPICAT.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TROPICAT View Post
    Gretschhead......Those tuning hooks look just like the ones I took off the oak Quinto I got from you. I think my hooks will work well on your quinto because your side plates are not like mine. Mine are the international plates that have that extra riveted piece and the hooks I took off of them did not line up straight up and down to the crown, but I think they will line up nicely on your type of side plates. Let me know if you want me to send you two of them.
    TROPICAT.
    That would be awesome brother! It will certainly save me the hassel of tracking some down. I had planned to get them from rhythm traders, but their site says out of stock.

User Info Menu

wow, with the little fixing up that things good be even more beautiful!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.