Thread: Is 14 x 11 too big for a rack tom?

User Info Menu

Default Is 14 x 11 too big for a rack tom?

Is 14 x 11 too big for a rack tom?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is 14 x 11 too big for a rack tom?

not at all.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Nawww, that guy from Metallica had a 16" (floor) tom mounted on his bass drum. I think the setup was something like 13, 14 , 15 , 16" toms up on his kicks. It's not that he's that great or anything, or that you should gauge your drum size choices by what everyone else is doing, either.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Here is why I ask.

Yesterday I ordered a Mapex Pro M Classic plus in bermuda sparkle . It is listed as having 12" & 13" rack toms and 16" & 18" floor toms. I also ordered an extra 10" rack tom.

The store called me today and said they were inspecting the set before shipping and noticed it has a 14" rack tom instead of the listed 13". They have a platinum sparkle set with the listed 13" tom.

The store was gracious enough to offer to switch it for the platinum set or send me the blue set and special order a 13" and switch it out when it gets in.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about 10, 12, 13, 16, 18 versus 10, 12, 14, 16, 18.

It seems that a 10,12,14,16,18 may sound better but i wasn't sure if that was pushing the limits of size for a rack tom.

Larrysperf Guest

My set I have 8,10,12,13,14,16, and love it. Pictures posted in show us your drums and my profile

User Info Menu

I'm using a 14 x 11 Renown on a rack section and no issues.

PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

A drum can never be too big.

User Info Menu

For the sizes you have and depending on the music you play, a 14x11 may be better. It will have more tonal differences from the 12 inch rack tom than a 13 inch tom will. The 12\13 set up sometimes can sound "too similar" and may result in you wanting to drop a tom. If you have 12,14,16,18, the drums will have 2 inches of diameter difference between each of them, which will make them sound unique and not too similar to any other tom on your set up. Either way you can't really go wrong, its just up to you on what you want. If you think the 14 is too big for a rack tom and will be hard to position, than go with the 13, its YOUR set up.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I had a 14x11" rack tom on my old Tama kit and loved it. I personally moved to shallower toms so that I could play them lower since it's more comfortable for me, but I switched to 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms because I liked the 14x11 rack tom I had before. I'd also choose it over the 13" because there's an even increment between drums, which sounds better, to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    Nawww, that guy from Metallica had a 16" (floor) tom mounted on his bass drum. I think the setup was something like 13, 14 , 15 , 16" toms up on his kicks. It's not that he's that great or anything, or that you should gauge your drum size choices by what everyone else is doing, either.
    He had 12/13/14/15 rack toms with 16/18 floor toms, and those sizes aren't trendy anymore. Lars now uses smaller toms, and fewer, like most people. So he wouldn't be following anyone by using a 14x11" tom.
    Although... he would be way more unique with a cookie cutter sized 4-piece kit.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think sonically the 14 will be better. I am having them send me the kit with the 14. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

User Info Menu

no rules, just play ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I use a 12 x 15 tom ( 12 deep x 15 diameter ) mounted to my BD . My smaller tom is a 9x 13 .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I have a half moon of toms 6,8,10,12,13,14,15". UP. 16,18" down.Fun to play.

Oops, old thread.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

A 14x11 rack tom sounds like a great addition to me. I have a set with 12x10, 13x11 Toms and 16x16 FT - the 12 and 13 toms are just too close, I'd love to dump the 13x11 and mount a 14x11 in its place.

User Info Menu

wow old thread revival lol

for my 12/13" is as big as I want for a rack tom. I'll keep the 14 on the floor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    I have a half moon of toms 6,8,10,12,13,14,15". UP. 16,18" down.Fun to play.

Oops, old thread.
    You'll have to change you user name to "PopsOldThreads"
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Have a 14" rack tom on my Pearl MLX. No issues & looks/sounds well

User Info Menu

I would not use it as a rack Tom unless you aren't planning to keep the set.I added a 15 diameter x 1e deep Tom in 1979 and noticed many years later that it was damaging my bass drum.

It now a floor Tom suspended from a cymbal stand.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I would definitely use a 14" in a 1 up configuration like Bonham. It would just take some getting used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

On my main set, I had a 14x10 for over 40 years, and it was (and still is) held by a Slingerland Set-O-Matic which looks fragile by the standards of today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    no rules, just play ;-)
    Perfectly said...

User Info Menu

It would be perfect...if you have a 14" bass drum. LOL

all the best...