Thread: What is your practice routine?

User Info Menu

Default What is your practice routine?

I was just wondering what you guys did to practice. Usually I play my set once a day for around ten to twenty minutes. Doesn't seem like a long time, but it keeps it fresh and allows me to put my rudiments to work. I then practice my rudiments and other various sticking techniques (Moeller stuff, etc) for various amounts of time. Usually I will try to sit down for a half-an-hour to really get to work. I do this while watching T.V. or while I'm on the computer. As a teacher just told me yesterday, it teaches concentration, etc. Then randomly throughout the day I'm doing paradiddles, rolls, etc. I feel like this really helps me keep drums fresh to me but also keeps me drumming as I am always tapping my feet and hands. Doing this just adds to my skill level I do believe.
    So what do you do?

What to Practice on Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: What is your practice routine?

I use to practice rudiments, licks grooves and songs for over an hour everyday. I've noticed I've been playing stiff and tense with my band its affecting my performance. My band got rejected from our last audition so I practiced even more and became more tense until I couldn't keep tempo. I changed my practice routine to 5mins doing 8 measures each of singles, doubles, paradiddle and double paradiddle at 60bpm. Been at it for 2 weeks. I'm definitely feeling more relaxed now.

I got the idea from Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery. Its good stuff
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Yeah, exactly one of the reasons I don't do three hours a day like some people do.

User Info Menu

I practice my rudiments on a practice pad for 1 hour three times a week and practice on my kit for 1 hour twice a week. It works for me.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I usually play on my kit for a half hour or so a day, doing things like triplets and working on stuff like that. And I usually practice rudiments for 15 minutes. Then I usually jam around on thhe kit, maybe play some songs on the radio.

User Info Menu

I'm like a crack head with my practice pad.I have to have it for at least an hr. a day.I'm on the kit usually 3 sometimes 4 nights a week for 2-3 hrs.I'ld say an hr. of the kit time is just me working grooves or w/e and the rest is band practice.

User Info Menu

I usually practice a lot, a few hours a day but some weeks I skip a few days in between. This week I practiced pretty much every day, working on the first 4 lessons in Syncopation, the first 7 or so rudiments, I do various speeds of quarter, quarter triplets, 8th, triplets and 16th notes on each limb and then on 2 limbs at a time RH/LH or RF/LF
    then I work on songs for the band stuff, right now I'm working on probably 20 or so songs

so the past 2 days I started playing at about 3pm and finished at 10 pm
    first my own stuff and then band practice from 7-10.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    I usually practice a lot, a few hours a day but some weeks I skip a few days in between. This week I practiced pretty much every day

so the past 2 days I started playing at about 3pm and finished at 10 pm
    first my own stuff and then band practice from 7-10.
    As long as you are enjoying yourself, I don't think you can ever practice too much. However, you do have to take care of your body. Make sure you eat right and get plenty of rest, so you don't get burned out. Take care of your body and it will take care of you.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

this may sound silly but when not around my kit or practice pad ,i pay on my shoe or my knee.

I always have drumsticks ..everywhere,,I have a set at work,,i have a set in each car and a set in my back pack..

User Info Menu

Dude, sounds just like me.

User Info Menu

My practice routine? Well I try to aim for at least 3-5 times a week on the kit, each time can be anywhere from 30 mins to an hour. And of course the odd time where I run to my kit and jam for a few minutes. I basically just sit on my kit and put everything from my practice pad into my beats to get a feel for what they'll be like when I'm actually playing. I don't do to many rudiments on the kit, mostly beats, syncopation and playing with a metronome/music/real people. As for my practice pad I keep it with me when I'm in my house and not on the drums. That plus playing on myself and everything everywhere I go keeps me in the mood to drum as soon as I get home. I always get off my kit right away as soon as I find that I'm starting to repeat things too much. That was my problem a while back, using the same fills over and over again. Couldn't give you an amount of time overall but it's kinda just part of my life now. And I love it.

~Cheers
    If the house is Rocking,
    Don't bother Knocking,
    Just come on In.

My drums are my babies,
    AND I BEAT THEM.

User Info Menu

I have to fit in my practice time wherever I can, so I don't have a defined time each night. I try to get in some type of practice each day. Sometimes it is on the practice pad, and sometimes it is on the kit. I try to get in at least 30 minutes every day, and most of the time, it just seems to naturally expand itself, unless I get interrupted. What I practice varies based upon what my teacher asks me to do.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Bob, just like me. Some days I get interrupted and I'm done. Like if a drum leg fails, that's it. Today nothing failed. I played straight grooves for thirty minutes or so, it rules!

User Info Menu

do you think im a bad influence

i do 0 hours

User Info Menu

As i get older i notice that i have to stretch now, do some warm up excercises with the hands and feet and then i can usually play for about 4-5 hours straight. I usually start just playing different beats and getting comfortable on the kit, and then i move on to my iPod and select shuffle. And no matter what song comes on i learn it. My wife put all of HER music on their too so now theres jazz and pop music on there ha ha! Oh, and ALOT of punk rock.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Working my way through "stick control:For the Snare Drummer" bout 15 min a night at a variety of tempos finding its building muscle memory and its spilling into my kit playing. Surprisingly good stuff.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Control-George-Lawrence-Stone/dp/1892764040"]Amazon.com: Stick Control: For the Snare Drummer (9781892764041): George Lawrence Stone: Books[/ame]
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Sicen i'm just starting my drumming journey, and i have like 30 mins -1 hour each day to practice, i'm trying to get the most out of it.
    It usually divided in
    1. Stick Control for snare drummers (usually 3 or 4 exercices for 20 minutes)
    2. A basic beat (i'm still working on this:
    ) for 10 to 15 minutes
    2. A couple of rudiments the rest of the time (5-15 minutes)

I wonder if it's a good practice.

User Info Menu

I sit down and play along with songs on my iPod, mostly punk rock or metal, most days I play about a half hour of Christian worship as warm up. I typically practice for 2 hours, I'm cleaning my kit right now so I haven't been practicing for the last few days, my neighbors and parents love it but I'm getting the shakes!
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

What is in my vids is my practice routine.

User Info Menu

What you don't see in my vids is practice. Oh, you don't see any vids? Hmmm. No practice. I'm so bad.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Almost daily 30 minutes to an hour each session. I have my kit mic'd to my Behringer USB board and record my sessions on Audacity while playing along with my MP3 player ...Ive got some classic rock tunes, some soft rock tunes, old country tunes, red dirt country and new country tunes, some western swing, eric clapton and srv blues and I usually do a quick 5 minute free style open solo type thing to begin it all with ... to loosen up the old joints.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!