Thread: Bought a Djembe

User Info Menu

Default Bought a Djembe

I just purchased a 14" Toca djembe with a matching bag for $130 today and it sounds great. I will post some pics soon. And the drum circle is starting to come together, I have about 5 guys set up so far. F/T

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bought a Djembe

keep us informed on the process of the drum circle FT. I would like to get something going in our church up here

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bought a Djembe

Man, for someone who wasn't sure about where he was goin' in music, you're goin' faster than a lot of us who know what they want to do!

Seriously, you'll love the djembe because it provides different sounds entirely than bongs and congs alone, and since most drum circles have world-beat or African roots, the djembe seems to "fit" better in their rhythmic patterns and sounds.

Might even bring it to your jam sessions (I just got done replying to your first jam session experience)...djembes can add interesting effects to most other types of music. When I was in a trio last year, I used the djembe to provide a marching-tom sound to an Irish ballad that was in our playlist, and man, it sounded just right...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Man, for someone who wasn't sure about where he was goin' in music, you're goin' faster than a lot of us who know what they want to do!

Seriously, you'll love the djembe because it provides different sounds entirely than bongs and congs alone, and since most drum circles have world-beat or African roots, the djembe seems to "fit" better in their rhythmic patterns and sounds.

Might even bring it to your jam sessions (I just got done replying to your first jam session experience)...djembes can add interesting effects to most other types of music. When I was in a trio last year, I used the djembe to provide a marching-tom sound to an Irish ballad that was in our playlist, and man, it sounded just right...
    LOL, I I like that! I am sure of only one thing right now and that is when I gave up trying to be someone my life got simple,and I intend on keeping it that way. I have loved the sound of the djembe for years and when I found this one it stole my heart( I remember going to indian drum circles as a child) I have always liked the bass that they produce and believe me you will feel this one when I hit it dead center.

Thanks bongobill, I have been impressed with the response to the drum circle, and it just so happens that The latest addition to the circle has been playing for 12 yrs and his sister and best friend teach African percussions in Cali. All for fun! F/T

User Info Menu

Ok here it is 14" with matching bag, I love this drum! F/T
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

WOW, THAT- IS- BEAUTIFUL! nice bag too! Enjoy your new djembe FT, it's a nice one!

User Info Menu

Thanks L4C I was only able to play them for a hour or so but can't stop looking at it, Tommorow will be a blast! F/T

User Info Menu

Ok i too just bought my first hand drum, a 24" x 12 .5" Djembe! hand carved in mahogany, should get delivery by early next week. I have always wanted to try something new in drumming and now is my chance, I will post a Pic later. Now to start slapping! and expand my drumming experience.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Congrats FT and best of luck with the circle.

WTG Marty...........Im gonna confess now too. I also bought one, a few months back I purchased a hand-carved African Djembe.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Hi everyone

Love that it has a matching bag. Looks really nice.

I bought an Ivory Coast djembe earlier this year after going to a couple of drumming workshops. Fortunately I had a cooler bag with a freezer brick in the car so during the lunch break I had it on my hands. It definitely helped and meant that I could keep drumming during the afternoon session.

Must get it out again. I did some clearing up of the house a couple of months ago and it got packed away in the corner and everything else piled up in front of it. Mine is just very plain but sounds and plays nicely.

I haven't had a chance to go to a drumming circle though as I live inland and they are usually held at the beach either east of Sydney or on the north or south coast.

Happy drumming everyone, from Kate
    Last edited by Kate Oz; 11-12-2009 at 05:28 AM.
    TD-9KX YAMAHA PCY155!!! 4 toms, Pearl Eliminator Single Pedal, Vex & VDrumLib, Mapex T765A

User Info Menu

wow.. is that made from dragon scales or something? looks very intricate
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Russ: The covering on F/T's djembe is essentially a vinyl wrap, but the detailing is incredible! Looks awesome!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Ok as Promised here is my new Djembe, now some of you know that this is widely sold over the internet, but it does sound great! just hope the skin never breaks, cause quite frankley i would not be able to change that myself!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Lookin' good with that djembe, MartyM--and that T-shirt rocks too, bro'! You'll enjoy playin' it as much as I do!

Charlie

User Info Menu

I'll bet you get some amazing sounds around that pool. Nice drum M/M.