Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Style Of Music Do You Like Playing?

User Info Menu

Default What Style Of Music Do You Like Playing?

I thought I would open this up... , because I am sure we fin ourselves playing something that we really can't get into, so I thought it would be cool to find out what people feel comfortable playing. You know, what gets ya jumpin !!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Rock...Swing (big band)...and more rock.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

rock, metal, jazz......not country....

User Info Menu

rock, pop punk, punk, and a little metal
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

I can't do the country thing either!! I would go NUTZ!!! LOL

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

i was flipping through the channels last night and i saw the country music awards and Travis Barker was on there... idk if you know him but he doesnt look like a countrey guy to me will the liberty spikes and all
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

well i guess im the country bumpkin in here. i like playin it. not as challenging i know but o k for me
    max

User Info Menu

Rock, jazz, fusion, blues/RnB, reggae/ska/calypso; dabble in "fuso-american-pocket-latin" [i say this because i'm nowhere near the authentic ethnic masters]...& like Dome, I also paly in a contemporary country band, which is really just "80s lite rock with a twang," as my main bread-n-butter gig.

Say what you will, but modern couintry has some of the tightest, slickest pocket you'll hear anywhere, & always played by really good drummers, some with loads of chops, & some just groove-time masters...

...HOWEVER...

...but i will give ya that a majority of it overall is music to gag by [mainly the toungue-in-cheeky, wink-at-our-own-cornpone-bumpkin-selves stuff, which is often quite nauseating, & quite simply, all to often]... & in order to hear the finer drumming, you often have to tolerate the rest of the silliness...some of it is pretty good though. You have to weed through it like anything else....IF you want to spend the time it takes... /;-p
    Last edited by Trane Weck; 05-24-2006 at 11:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trane Weck
    Rock, jazz, fusion, blues/RnB, reggae/ska/calypso; dabble in "fuso-american-pocket-latin" [i say this because i'm nowhere near the authentic ethnic masters]...& like Dome, I also paly in a contemporary country band, which is really just "80s lite rock with a twang," as my main bread-n-butter gig.

Say what you will, but modern couintry has some of the tightest, slickest pocket you'll hear anywhere, & always played by really good drummers, some with loads of chops, & some just groove-time masters...

...HOWEVER...

...but i will give ya that a majority of it overall is music to gag by [mainly the toungue-in-cheeky, wink-at-our-own-cornpone-bumpkin-selves stuff, which is often quite nauseating, & quite simply, all to often]... & in order to hear the finer drumming, you often have to tolerate the rest of the silliness...some of it is pretty good though. You have to weed through it like anything else....IF you want to spend the time it takes... /;-p

Sounds like you have a good repetoire there Trane. We are glad to have you here. I think it is awesome to be able to play anything at the drop of a hat. Myself, I am old fashioned. I like Blues, Funk, Old School Punk, Classic Rock, and some Jazz. But now I mainly am staying in the Christian Comtemporary realm. Since I am playing at church. So, it is good to see you guys puttin up some feedback. Thanks all.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with that, D4H.

I'm actually also involved in a local/regional CCM recording & touring project ATM in it's beginning to intermediary stages, this during my contempo-country touring downtime [slow season], which will tentatively pick back up in late June/early July...AWA local pick-up gigs...some unfortunately in smoky bars despite the non-smoking laws finally in effect...but a couple serve food AW, so there's no-smoke there [which is good since i quit smoking yrs ago...tough one for sure, but now i'm every smoker's nightmare ]

Lots of great stuff going down in CCM [contempo C'n music]...for 1 small example, Jeremy Camp's latest 2 including Restored has some awesome, awesome pop/rock drumming on them...the drummers on the discs names' escapes me at the moment, but regardless...& Mercy Me are of course just awesome awesome, crossing over & hitting everyone in their "spiritiual gut"...simple" music, but incredibly moving regardless, which proves it doesn't have to be notey to have a great impact, altho jammy, notey stuff properly played is awesome also!]

User Info Menu

who do you play with trane? i play country too
    max

User Info Menu

I hear a lot of "rock guys" or "jazz fusion" guys, say that country music is too boring for them. I have to disagree...If you play a song with passion, and the right feel, then the AUDIENCE is not bored, and that has to say a lot for the hours of practice we put into the thing we love. Not to mention that a song like "The devil went down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band, is anything but boring for a drummer! I love to see guys that play a lot of different styles. That just shows how well they have mastered their instrument. I'm sure Neil Peart can swing, and Dave Weckle can work the hell out of a pair of brushes !
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

rock most types except punk and metal.well i supose some metal but not like 80s stuff. the only punk i like is the ramones.

User Info Menu

hmmm....i still dissagree boo....even the devil went down to georga is boring for me....although i do agree that if u enjoy it and play it with passion then even the most simple stuff is not boring...im not saying that simple is boring im simply saying that country for me as a personal taste is boring...

User Info Menu

I can see that point of view....but personally, the only boring drumming for me is "not drumming at all".
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

hehe....good point

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    I can see that point of view....but personally, the only boring drumming for me is "not drumming at all".

I agree!!!

User Info Menu

ROCK and METAL... go figure... who knew... I also really like up-beat progressive jazz/fusion (huge Weckl fan) but can't play it. Wish I could.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    ROCK and METAL... go figure... who knew... I also really like up-beat progressive jazz/fusion (huge Weckl fan) but can't play it. Wish I could.
    Dont wish....just do!!!! I think the more I listen to stuff I think I cant play, it gets imbedded in my brain, then BAM, I can at least get some of it out in my chops.

User Info Menu

rock and metal, mostly...

its harder than country but country is gay so i guess its worth it

lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

metal punk and metal

User Info Menu

Classic 60's 70's 80's and 90's rock. I do like metal and alternative music too.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

oh, my grand favorite is definitly ska music although it's not the kind of band that im in. i like it cause it is still superbly fast but yet catchy at the same time
    tuck your head between you legs and kiss your anus goodbye

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerspank
    oh, my grand favorite is definitly ska music although it's not the kind of band that im in. i like it cause it is still superbly fast but yet catchy at the same time

Some Skatalites may be in order here!!! They are awesome!!

User Info Menu

As my member name suggests, I prefer hand percussion to the set but I play both. I've played a wide range of styles (folk, country, rock, jazz, Latin, and adapted them to contemporary Christian music in my church's guitar group); I've played with a duo that became a trio when I sat in with them, and with groups ranging from 5 to 18 pieces...