Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At it again(changing the finish on the drums)

User Info Menu

Default At it again(changing the finish on the drums)

I got the itch to strip down my congo's today and refinish them. They were blue and I intend on staining them red oak. I plan on posting pics soon with the progress and eventualy the results. all for fun! F/T

Kinda of off topic but does the terms quinto and tumba only refer to a high vs low tone drum or is it an actual name set by a manufaturer? thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: At it again(changing the finish on the drums)

That is cool about your project. It will be awesome to see their project.

As to your question, it refers to the size of drum, not the manufacture. The sizes can vary a bit by manufacture, but wikipedia defines them generally as:

The supertumba can be as large as 14 inches across (35.5 cm).
    The tumba is typically 12 to 12.5 inches across (30.5 to 31.8 cm).
    The conga is typically 11.5 to 12 inches across (29.2 to 30.5 cm).
    The quinto is typically around 11 inches across (about 28 cm).
    The requinto can be smaller than 10 inches across (24.8 cm).
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I got the itch to strip down my congo's today and refinish them. They were blue and I intend on staining them red oak. I plan on posting pics soon with the progress and eventualy the results. all for fun! F/T

Kinda of off topic but does the terms quinto and tumba only refer to a high vs low tone drum or is it an actual name set by a manufaturer? thanks
    fumbled time, its a good feeling when your done that's for sure but after doing my first refinish job on congas I now know what to do and what not to do. the one thing I'm still not sure is patch. I used Elmer's light color which matched the drum stripped exactly but didn't match at all when the stain went on. Maybe the patch should match the stain first?
    Never the less keep us posted and take your time, good luck friend!
    L4C

User Info Menu

You guys are tempting me to strip my drums and go for a lighter tone that doesn't show dings or scratches.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replys guys and thanks for the clarification on the terms midgard. I have refinished my seven pcs kit twice and a number of guitars so I am patient and careful. I really feel like part of something when I refinish it and even though I just started this project I already feel closer to them. Bongocajon I did this job partialy because of the dings but mostly the color and the relationship to the drums. F/T

User Info Menu

Bongocajon I did this job partialy because of the dings but mostly the color and the relationship to the drums. F/T
    I wonder if you or luv4congas could PM me or start a thread on the sequence involved in re-finishing a drum? The products used and steps to remove the old and put on the new?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    I wonder if you or luv4congas could PM me or start a thread on the sequence involved in re-finishing a drum? The products used and steps to remove the old and put on the new?
    Here you go BC... I removed all hardware then took a throw away brush, slathered on the Jasco and let it blister. I had to get a super strength stripper to finish the job, I used a plastic scraper once the stripper was done blistering. I patched all the dings and dent, started with 100 grit on my palm sander changing the paper as soon as something stuck to it. Then 150 grit, down to 200 grit. As far as staining I would highly recommend Minwax pre stain treatment because I had a hard time with the matadors. I did one coat of Mahogany red minwax, waited 10 minutes and wiped it off, very light sand again with "used" 220 repeat that process and I liked the color so I stopped.
    Next day took minwax polyurethane and a good brush with lots of thinner near, dipped the brush in the thinner till all the bubbles came off, wiped the brush and gave a coat of polyurethane, light sand after 6 hours with soft 220 and repeated that 3 times. I hope this helps bro let me know.
    Thanks,
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Here you go BC... I removed all hardware then took a throw away brush, slathered on the Jasco and let it blister. I had to get a super strength stripper to finish the job, I used a plastic scraper once the stripper was done blistering. I patched all the dings and dent, started with 100 grit on my palm sander changing the paper as soon as something stuck to it. Then 150 grit, down to 200 grit. As far as staining I would highly recommend Minwax pre stain treatment because I had a hard time with the matadors. I did one coat of Mahogany red minwax, waited 10 minutes and wiped it off, very light sand again with "used" 220 repeat that process and I liked the color so I stopped.
    Next day took minwax polyurethane and a good brush with lots of thinner near, dipped the brush in the thinner till all the bubbles came off, wiped the brush and gave a coat of polyurethane, light sand after 6 hours with soft 220 and repeated that 3 times. I hope this helps bro let me know.
    Thanks,
    L4C
    Thank you soooo much luv4congas! I will follow the process as you described.
    Most likely this Fall or Winter I will do the Matador project.

User Info Menu

Good tips to get started ,All I could add is be patient and I only do one at a time to help me slow the process as I seem to want to get in a hurry and that has lead to stripping and reduing it again(not fun) F/T

User Info Menu

Here are some pics of one in the works and one untouched.F/T
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Looks like a good start FT, I would only recommend the Minwax stain prep. The can of stain warned me about blotches and unevenness if I didn't use it and wouldn't you know it, I had to sand down the darker area and some little spot were rejecting the stain which I had to touch up between sanding. Kona warned me about the siam oak too but I took a chance. I did stain one drum then as soon as I was done moved it over and started on the other, I wanted to get the colors on both drums exactly the same before I started the polyurethane.
    L4C

User Info Menu

I have to agree with you on the minwax I have used others with mixed results but have been very pleased with the minwax end results. I will admitt I have never put on any clear or poly before, I might just have to give it a try.

Curious though do you measure the drum size by the skin size or the outer edge of the drum itself?(should I measure it while its off for a true measurement)F/T
    Last edited by fumbled time; 07-26-2009 at 10:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I have to agree with you on the minwax I have used others with mixed results but have been very pleased with the minwax end results. I will admitt I have never put on any clear or poly before, I might just have to give it a try.

Curious though do you measure the drum size by the skin size or the outer edge of the drum itself?(should I measure it while its off for a true measurement)F/T
    From the outside edges of the playing surface although the actual size varies. Take an 11 3/4" conga from 4 different manufactures, they will all advertise their drum as an 11 3/4" but if you measure each drum you'll get anywhere from 11 3/8" to 12" If your measuring it to replace a head the best thing you can do is take you rim with you to the shop to make sure the new one fits. Better yet tuck your own.
    L4C

User Info Menu

looks like fun, I am waiting for a sunny day to shoot my kit again.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

This is the first coat of stain on the smallest congo, i haven't even started to strip the larger one yet. I hope to get this one done and dry after that decide on the outcome of the second one. To this point I am happy with the way it's going. F/T

User Info Menu

Looks great FT, you've got a really good start there! The stain brings out that grain very nicely, looks 100 times better than the blue in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I got to agree with Gretschhead, that wood grain and the stain color is so welcoming. Good work. Can't wait to see the final finish.

User Info Menu

thats oak ?? I may be doing some oak drums soon...
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    thats oak ?? I may be doing some oak drums soon...
    I believe he meant the stain color was red oak. Toca just lists these drums as being made from locally harvested lumber in Thailand, so theres really no telling what the actual wood type is. Most likely it is similar to the siam oak that the other companies are using, which is actually a rubber tree.

User Info Menu

I agree the color is much better than the blue! and yes I did mean that the stain is minwax red oak not the wood. I have just appli ed the second coat and wow is it dark and rich, The grain came out even more. I can't wait to put on the poly, Though I will be putting on atleast a third coat of stain. F/T

User Info Menu

Sweet man, can't wait to see them both done and put back together! I'll be starting a resto job soon on a new quinto that should be waiting at my door when I get home .

User Info Menu

Looks good FT! Keep the pics coming. Lets start a "make over" thread with congas, bongos, djembes or any percussion that had a make over!

User Info Menu

This is the third coat and I am pleased, I will maybe put on one more but not sure.
    Last edited by fumbled time; 07-28-2009 at 08:24 PM.

User Info Menu

FT, that looks soooo much better than it did with the blue finish. I think that grain will really pop when you get that clear coat on it. The conga already looks incredibly rich!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks P/B,I did a fourth coat and wow did it make a difference I plan on letting it dry for a day and for the poly I will be using a gloss application( I like the shine).
    Last edited by fumbled time; 07-29-2009 at 02:12 PM.