Thread: need new hi hats but have no clue what to look for

User Info Menu

Default need new hi hats but have no clue what to look for

Hey guys ive been drumming for close to one and a half years. i have a mapex Q series kit that came with some sabian b8 hi hats. sabian b8's are def decent for their dollar value but i feel like theyre definitely lower line. my drum teacher gave me some b8 pros and they sound better but now im looking for a better sound.

i recently joined a metal band so im looking for some hi hats that will compliment that style of playing. im looking for a nice clean/crisp wash for playing harder music with a lot of double bass. but i also want a nice clean click while playing with my left foot (during fills and mixing it with some ride cymbal rudiments and such) and for bouncing the stick on top for little accents for slower stuff.

ive talked to a couple people and i cant help but drool over the zildjian A customs. ive played these on a couple of my friends kits and liked them a lot. im just looking for a little help from people that have had experience with hi hats.

what do you guys suggest?

User Info Menu

Default Re: need new hi hats but have no clue what to look for

Hey man, Check craigslist for some used HH's. I just sold a pair of A customs for $150 on there that where only used 3 or 4 times.There's good deals on there.Maybe some K/z's or the A customs. Maybe go to a store and try a bunch of different 1's and then look for the 1's ya like used.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the best thing to do is go to the store and try a bunch and see what you like the best. But some good places to start would be...

Sabian: AA Metal-X, AA Medium, AAX Stage, HHX Power, Paragon, and any of the Fusion hats
    Zildjian: A Custom Projection, A New Beat, A Quick Beat, Z3 Medium
    Meinl: Mb20 Heavy, Mb8 Medium/Heavy, Soundcaster Fusion/Custom Medium/Powerful
    Don't have much experience with Paiste but you could have a look at RUDE's and 2002's.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I'd just go and try as many as possible and decide which one you think sounds best and compliments your kit best. Ebay and Craiglist can have some great deals on them, and buying used can save you a lot of money and still get good conditioned stuff.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Only your ears will know what is right for you.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

check out the paiste 2002 hi-hats! They've got soundclips in their website so check it out
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Look for heavy 15" hi-hat cymbals that will take a beating. I used a pair for 25 years before lessening back to my current 14" Istanbul jazz hats.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Fiacovaz, why did you go back to 14"?? i was considering 15" myself for a little deeper sound..was there any reason?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I agree that you need to listen to different hi-hat cymbals to find out what you like. I thought I would like the 14" A Customs, but once I got serious about listening to different hi-hat cymbals I found that I was surprized by a pair of 13" Sabian HHX Evolution cymbals, and then I ended up choosing the 14" Sabian Vault cymbals. It definitely was not where I thought i would go, but my ears led me there.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well...
    Since you've said that you currently play some metal sruff..

I suggest you buy some Z custom if you would go with Zildjian...
    Paiste Rude seems eligible as well...

I hope you try them both to know which one is suitable with your ear and music...
    Try it mate
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

hey man, don't let labels and hype determine your decision.
    use your ears.
    just becasue the label says its good for metal doesn't mean they will have the sound you desire.

if you can, find something used or trade in to save money.
    best wishes on your search.
    use your ears
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Stick with the A's and try to find some used. It'll be much cheaper and they should be ok
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mapexmetal351 View Post
    Hey guys ive been drumming for close to one and a half years. i have a mapex Q series kit that came with some sabian b8 hi hats. sabian b8's are def decent for their dollar value but i feel like theyre definitely lower line. my drum teacher gave me some b8 pros and they sound better but now im looking for a better sound.

i recently joined a metal band so im looking for some hi hats that will compliment that style of playing. im looking for a nice clean/crisp wash for playing harder music with a lot of double bass. but i also want a nice clean click while playing with my left foot (during fills and mixing it with some ride cymbal rudiments and such) and for bouncing the stick on top for little accents for slower stuff.

ive talked to a couple people and i cant help but drool over the zildjian A customs. ive played these on a couple of my friends kits and liked them a lot. im just looking for a little help from people that have had experience with hi hats.

what do you guys suggest?
    Since you're playing metal go for Zildjians cuz they're nice and loud plus they will last a long time.
    14" or even 15" A New Beat hi hats might work for you....good luck.