Thread: i might get to be in a band...a couple questions?

User Info Menu

Default i might get to be in a band...a couple questions?

Hey guys it's been awhile since i posted here but i'm always looking at this site and looking at the topics anyways i'm still playing the drums and today my oldest sister said one of her friends husband has a band and their drummer keeps missing practice and she said that her brother (me) plays the drums and i'm good. and now i might be able to get into their band!! (they play rock like nickelback and ac/dc) my only worry is i haven't played any ac/dc songs and the only nickelback songs i know are rockstar and if today was your last day

so what are some other easy to learn nickelback songs and ac/dc songs? also they don't gig but i don't wanna look bad since i've only been playing for 4 months lol but if i can get in the band i'd be so happy so what are any tips you guys can give me once i go and try to ''audition'' for the band? i'm nervous lol and it feels good to be posting on drum chat again!

User Info Menu

Default Re: i might get to be in a band...a couple questions?

Can you keep consistent time? Do you know the classic rock drum beat? If you answered yes to both of these questions, you have mastered AC/DC drum tracks! All kidding aside, I wouldn't worry at all about AC/DC. Seriously. Just play a steady beat with as much feeling as possible (get into it!). Nickelback I'm not so sure about, but just do some research ahead of time and try and get the Nickelback "feel." When you go to audition, try to keep as relaxed as possible. The moment you start stressing, your playing goes way down. You want it to feel as natural and intuitive as possible. Chewing gum is a common stress reliever, so maybe give that a try. Also, make sure you impart on them that you would be dedicated. From the sounds of it they've had poor luck with drummers and nobody likes a flaky musician!

User Info Menu

I would not waste time guessing what to learn, ask for their set list, ask if there are any tunes they specifically want you to learn.

As for the AC/DC, keep it very simple,

My biggest suggestion since it sounds like this may be your first band is to use you ears, listen to the band, don't focus on just yourself. Listen to the bass player and lock in with him / her.

Keep your volume at the same as the bands'

Oh and have fun!!
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

i guess just start listening to music and pick out the easy ones first

play them and get experience, then you can start to understand why the music is written in that certain way
    Last edited by itchie; 07-27-2009 at 08:04 AM.