Thread: 1st Recording

User Info Menu

Default 1st Recording

Finally figured id record myself playin a song ive been (off and on) practicing. It has one of those beats with the bass that I was complaining about in earlier posts. Once it clicked some I told myself this is the song im gonna perfect before I find another one to play.

Im only using the mic my computer utilizes for recording so its not the GREATEST sound, however, its free and im no Neal Peart so I dont expect anyone to sign me to no record deal! Im still a bit off on my timing but have the basic fills and rythms figured out of this song. Theres a few times I found myself lost in the music or the beat and forget to transition into the next fill or forget to hit the snare or cymbals or even hit something when im not spose to. But hey, like I said, dont expect Ozzy to come to the door begging for my awesomeness .

Chris Ulmer Playing "The Red" by Chevelle
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: 1st Recording

That was a good job, man. Two things stuck out for me: the Cymbals...not the best sounding and not very articulate but, I suspect that you know this. Second, the fills, you are covering what you hear but don't let that limit your own contributions. You have some ideas and you can use this type of practice to experiment with various patterns and begin building a "Vocabulary" of drum licks and fills.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Well im not using the best microphone and recording setup either, im sure that wont help the cymbal sound either. What do you mean not articulate exatly? Thanks for listening to btw!
    "We do what we like and we like what we do!"

Sonor Force 3003 Drums
    10", 12", 13" Tom Tom's
    14", 16" Floor Toms
    22" Base Drum
    14" Snare

Sabian Paragon Cymbols
    8" Splash
    10" Splash
    19" China
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    18" Crash
    20" Crash
    14" Hi-Hats

1950-70's(?) Zildjian Cymbol
    22" Ride

User Info Menu

The cymbals we play will be full of wash and overtones or they will be drier sounding in which you can here more stick definition. Wash tends to get in the way of the music and often obscures the play. The drier the cymbal...cast bronze...the more prized the sound and the more appreciated by band members because they can listen to the drummer and key in on that Cymbal. Always keep in mind, you are not just playing a cymbal beat, it's going to be specific to what you are playing and the band needs to listen to that. If you ever feel that they aren't getting that message, you need to tell them to listen closely to what you doing for them.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Yeah What Frank Said......
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"