Thread: Drummers get more work?

User Info Menu

Default Drummers get more work?

As a guitar player it's really hard to find gigs because there are a ton of people who claim they can play. But I've always thought that a drummer who had any kind of decent feel for drumming could find gigs without trouble. Is there any truth to this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers get more work?

I think part of it might be that drummers are in higher demand because sometimes it seems like EVERYONE thinks they can play guitar, but they actually just know G Major scale and Crazy Train. Most bands usually have at least one guitarist already who can get them by in a gig, but a drummer is crucial!

User Info Menu

you take what you can

if that means playing 2 or 3 bands to get solid gigs every week then that's just the deal

iv also had bands approach me at gigs asking me to play for them

like cole1paul said theres always going to be demand for a killer drummer its crucial!
    Last edited by itchie; 07-29-2009 at 03:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Believe me when I tell you this:
    Drummers and bassists are hard to find. That's why a drummer always has a gig or a band. When the drummer quits a band, it's most likely that he will end up in a new band in a short amount of time. Same with bassists. I know alot of bassists, and we need one in our band, but all the bassists in the area, especially the good ones, are in bands.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I don't even think drummers have to be as technically savy as bassist and guitarist to be considered "good". If you can keep good time and really pound something out that accents the music, then in a lot of cases, that is more useful than a really technical drummer without the ability to feel the music. Of course best case scenario is a drummer with both. Like Max Weinberg. I <3 him.

User Info Menu

funny because we are having trouble finding a guitarist. The bass player was easy to find but these guitarists....I'll keep my rant short but basically they all want to join an already established band and start gigging, none of them seem to want to do any of the work involved in getting a band off the ground and the ones who do are either legends in their own minds of they have serious issues with drug/alcohol/personality.

So I guess what really should be said is that good musicians are hard to find, people who can actually play and once you find them you have personality and chemistry to deal with.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scott757 View Post
    I don't even think drummers have to be as technically savy as bassist and guitarist to be considered "good".
    You're exactly right. Look at AC/DC. The drummers aren't like a heavy metal drummer or like Kieth Moon They just have to keep a steady beat.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

A drummer that can keep a steady beat and not overplay is worth their weight in gold.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Here's a little back story on me and how I came to view drumming. About 6 years ago a friend of mine opened a recording studio. He was a drummer. He wasn't flashy but knew how to hit them and how to play to the music. So for 2 years I sat in on sessions pretty much every Saturday...all day. So when we'd go out and smoke I'd hear him critique. I started listening and started hear what he was talking about. Drummers didn't know when not to play. They didn't know how to mix their kit (meaning how hard to hit to make it sound right). They really didn't know how to hit their snare. So my approach to drumming was formed from that. Play what's needed...not what's flashy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    A drummer that can keep a steady beat and not overplay is worth their weight in gold.
    I don't think that's enough anymore. I think musicians these days look for an expressive drummer that can interpret the song and play ONLY what is needed. I agree that there is probably more work for drummers, but there are also a lot more competition and turnovers.

User Info Menu

When my first band went inactive I was invited immediately by 2 other bands. I joined one and declined the other one because of schedule conflicts.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I agree that there is probably more work for drummers, but there are also a lot more competition and turnovers.
    Not around here. A good drummer is always hard to find.