Thread: Would you pay $5000 for 10 complete top shelf kits ?

User Info Menu

Default Would you pay $5000 for 10 complete top shelf kits ?

I really think I'm heading this way !!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNKGluo7_A"]YouTube - Recording BFD2[/ame]
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would you pay $5000 for 10 complete top shelf kits ?

Sounds Good Ah ?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Wif2V4dcY&feature=related"]YouTube - "Chicken" (DFH Improv session)[/ame]
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    I really think I'm heading this way !!

YouTube - Recording BFD2
    How would you use it? Am I wrong that it's computer software? If so, you talking about using electronic drums to trigger the computer?

Just curious. Very interesting video.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

2slow, I had a feeling you were headed this direction when you changed your Mapex kit into an e-kit. Interesting stuff, but I want to learn how to get as much sound out of an acoustic kit first. All the best to you, though, as you continue to explore and grow in your drumming.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use BFD2 to trigger with my TD6V. IMHO it is THE best midi triggering software out there. It is so much easier to use than the original BFD and nothing comes close to the infinite adjustability. And yes you will trigger it on your computer using a midi interface. The truly great thing is recording with midi. Nothing comes close. I will record acoustically but I will frequently augment my kit with midi triggering different cymbals and toms as well as snares and other industrial sounds. FX really did their homework on this software. Well worth it.

User Info Menu

Interesting. I heard from my son's guitar teacher (who owns a studio) that a lot of guys record their kick by triggering software and using samples of sounds they want, like Bonham's.

With the setup being mentioned you could use triggers on acoustics or can you use an e-kit as well? Just curious.

As for 2slow, it could alleviate the drum swap lifestyle and allow you to "have" different kits without changing anything.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Interesting. I heard from my son's guitar teacher (who owns a studio) that a lot of guys record their kick by triggering software and using samples of sounds they want, like Bonham's.

With the setup being mentioned you could use triggers on acoustics or can you use an e-kit as well? Just curious.

As for 2slow, it could alleviate the drum swap lifestyle and allow you to "have" different kits without changing anything.
    To answer you question yes can be triggered by e drum !! Watch the "chicken" video that's the software there !!

And you are right this could be the answer to my kit swappng !! and might I add
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Would you pay $5000 for 10 complete top shelf kits ?

If it works for you, my friend, go for it. You know more of what you want since you've experimented with electronics vs. acoustics for quite a while.

Realize that while it may be easier to store those kits, you may still have to deal with a major reaction from your wife !
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

One thing I have noticed over the years is you really will start to notice the subtle differences of digital drums vs. acoustic. It is quite subtle but the natural variation in intensity and tempo is not present with BFD and there is a problem of "machine gun" effect when perform 32nd and higher tempo notes. Other than that it is just about as close to acoustic drums that you will ever get than actually playing the real things. I have to admit I have come full circle and prefer recording with acoustic kits. The difference for me would like if some one is driving a remote control car vs a real one.

User Info Menu

I am on both sides of the fence. I have a set of V-drums and I LOVE them. But they fill a particular void which is the ability to practice on something more than a practice pad.

Now... I am constantly finding myself fighting an urge to take them to rehearsals and swapping them in for the acoustic set.

I think the ultimately will be a balance between both worlds. A mix of electronics and acoustics.

However I think it is really up to the individual.

User Info Menu

Back in the late 80's I would re-trigger an acoustic kick drum with the LinnDrum.
    Now I use my eKit with Addictive Drums. I love the Funk ADPak. It's my favorite.
    Those Pearl samples are very cool and old school sounding! Check out XLN Audio.
    27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
    Logic Pro X 10.7.0 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
    MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen

User Info Menu

I use bfd2 and love it. Never used anything else as much fun as this program. You do need to have your sound drivers in order before using it though, i've run into problems with asio not recognizing a few times but a little tinkering and you'll get it. Just keep your drivers up to date and you'll be straight. Not only do you get a lot of good samples to use, you can use them as a grouped kit or individually to mix and match, you can fully adjust settings for each sample, change room and mic settings, all for a fraction of what these kits would cost normally. If you got the triggers and the inputs available, it's well worth the investment. It's a dream come true if you're using this with an a/e setup too.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i know a lot of you are to young to remember when the drum machine was seen as a threat, now it's just another tools we all use. This is just the evolution of that in my opinion.

There are many uses for this type of software in the project studio and i know many pros are replacing sounds.

But, at the end of the day a well played high end kit is what those tools are emulating, why not just use the real thing? ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    i know a lot of you are to young to remember when the drum machine was seen as a threat, now it's just another tools we all use. This is just the evolution of that in my opinion.

There are many uses for this type of software in the project studio and i know many pros are replacing sounds.

But, at the end of the day a well played high end kit is what those tools are emulating, why not just use the real thing? ;-)
    My first drum machine was a Linn Drum then later the Linn 9000. When I purchased my first eKit in the 90's I gave away my Ludwig's that I'd been lugging around since the 1970's.
    I'm now on my 2nd eKit and I still have the ability to record a live performance over using loops. The point is you do not have to deal with mic'ing a kit and you have more flexibility in
    terms of editing Midi and with virtually limitless drums kits to trigger using software samples it makes sense in today's DAW based home studios. So I can play live, move Midi notes
    around, change kits, play with my fingers on a keyboard or pencil in beats as well as program a software based drum machine if I so desire. That's a lot of editing flexibility.

Using loops are fine but I personally prefer to go old school and create the performance myself using the tools I have on hand.
    27 inch iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 40GB Ram - macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
    Logic Pro X 10.7.0 - UA Apollo X6 - UAD-2 Quad Core Satellite TB3
    MOTU 8Pre USB - Yamaha HS7 - MAudio Axiom 61 2nd Gen