Thread: Spouses/significant others and drumming

User Info Menu

Default Spouses/significant others and drumming

What does your spouse or significant other think of your hobby? Do they complain about noise, going to gigs all the time, or spending tons of money on all the gear you buy? Or do they support you and your drumming in every way they can?

I'm currently single, but I lived with my last girlfriend for 2 years. The playing didn't bother her so much, but all of the gear really got to her. I admit I have a huge addiction to percussion instruments, I am buying and selling drums almost every day. I rarely pull money out of my own pocket to purchase something, instead I'll sell or trade something I already have in order to get something different. It allows me to try out lots of different gear and often times make a little money in the process. Well, she didn't like it at all, everyday a new package showing up or going out. She would always say that I loved drums more than her. She would never buy me percussion instruments for birthdays or christmas, she said why would I buy you something you are just going to turn around and sell it. We had many a fight over my hobby .

I'm curious how everyone elses significant others feel?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Spouses/significant others and drumming

Lol, Did she have alot of shoes, maybe you had more drums than she did shoes. My wife is fully supportive of anything I do but I have experianced many friends who's mates were completly against them even talking about music. I feel blessed with the one I have and get told alot that I have a great wife, I got luck , and she's a keeper. My inlaws don't think much of me yet a while back her sister told her that I treat her like a queen and that she has to make her marrige work but we are truly in love. WooHoo! F/T

User Info Menu

Oooh yeah - I would NOT sell some piece of percussion she gifted you - ever. IF she gave you permission, maybe, but I would not ask for it.

You'll really need to cultivate your most important earthly relationship - your wife, and that takes work and sacrifice at times. It's better than coming home from a gig to an empty house or a ticked-off 'stranger' in your bed. If your girl said you love drums more than her, she is right - as far as her perception goes, and in this case, perception is everything.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

my wife bought my kit as a surprise for me, she loves my playing and shes also the singer in our band so life is good

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

My wife is very supportive and never says much about me buying gear becasuse she knows that I use only gig money that I made playing to buy it. I also bought her all new furniture for our living room with gig money so she benifits from my hobby as well. I have reminded her on occasion that I could be a bass fisherman or a hunter and have all of the revenue going the other way instead of a revenue producing, self sustaining hobby. If I were not careful, the only flack I would get from her was that music was interfering with our family time, I am careful to see that that does not happen!

User Info Menu

i too am blessed with a wonderful wife..even before we married she new i was drumming. now however i do have to watch spending..thats marriage..and important to remember that to my knowledge by others...drums can't cuddle with you at night when you need it most...LOL drums can make YOU feel good thats true...but the wonders of a good marriage i still say is not replaceable
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    i too am blessed with a wonderful wife..even before we married she new i was drumming. now however i do have to watch spending..thats marriage..and important to remember that to my knowledge by others...drums can't cuddle with you at night when you need it most...LOL drums can make YOU feel good thats true...but the wonders of a good marriage i still say is not replaceable
    I'll have to say amen to that Marty

User Info Menu

My wife supports me completely. She is the most amazing wife. She is always suggesting new equipment for me to buy or parts to replace. I am the one who ends up saying that we should be saving money. Pretty cool.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I am also blessed with a terrific wife. She's always been very supportive. She's bought me drum gear before (especially in the beginning years). She'll occasionally get a little jealous of it mainly because I would spend so many hours at it be she understands the passion and the commitment it takes to reach a high level of proficiency.

User Info Menu

Two things that will set all of us straight: First, we must recognize that Music is a very jealous mistress. We just can't turn her on/off. Same with the passion for our drums...it's what we do for ourselves. Selfish? I don't think so. Second, I buy my own drum gear and to do that, I set up my own check/savings account years ago and deposit what I can into it each month. I leave the join accounts alone and have paid for all my upgrade hardware and high quality cymbals over the past several years.
    My wife is my greatest supporter and is at most gigs to cheer me and the band on.
    She now reminds me just how quiet the drums have been of late and encourages me to just sit behind them and play
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Frank, you are indeed a wise man, and your thoughts on life are very much appreciated. You are also a fortunate man to have such a loving wife.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree. Well said Frank!

User Info Menu

If you guys have seen the vids of my band that I post on here, you all know the level of support I have from Mrs. RHD. She has been cool from the start, and she also knew what she was getting into when we met. I couldn't ask for more when it comes to that.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

BTW! I told my wife about this thread and she insisted that I mention that she is my "Official" roadie.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.