Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percussion Plus Drums

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Percussion Plus Drums

I recently got my percussion plus drums used for $200 with some nice cymbals. For new they only cost about $400 with shipping. Now i know this is already sounding and looking like a cheap chinese deal, but it's not. These things really do give bang for the buck.

It comes with some cymbals and all. The stock heads work very good as resonant drumheads, so i recommend buying some new batters asap and saving the old drumheads for other resonants.
    The cymbals are....................well...........a bit on the thin and shabby side. REally suck. Need replacing after the first few hits
    The drums!:
    This is the best part. As i just mentioned earlier, these are some really great drums. 9 ply laminated maple shells with a really nice finish. Their sound with some good heads is past the Pearl forum series by far. It sounds like my friends Tama Superstar with the new heads i've got for it. These aren't cheapo. I would pay 400 just for the shells and nothing else!!!!!
    The Hardware:
    Great hardware out of box for being stock. Equal to the Pearl forum this time. It's pretty solid (all except for a topsy cymbal stand) and will last a while.
    Overall:
    With everything considered, i would give this a 4 out of 5 definately for a great deal! Sorry about the pics. i'll get some better ones later.

Last edited by somekidwithanm4; 03-24-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Commercial Links
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Percussion Plus Drums

SK, the important thing is that you are happy with your kit. Thanks for giving us your review, and happy drumming!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome. Im just trying to urge more younger people (like me) to buy this kit if they want a new one cause it's really great.
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

sounds like a great deal
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

It's a good deal for someone who doesn't want a used set and is willing to spend some extra money for new heads and cymbals. By far one of the best if not the best low price kit i've seen.
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you are liking it! And hey, WAY better than my first kit! lol

Congrats!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Percussion Plus Drums

SKWAM4--

This is the first time I've discussed my current kit at any length since I've been in DrumChat. And by "kit," I mean my 5-piece Percussion Plus (two up and one down plus snare) with Zildjian ZBT's! I bought the kit new in 1994 (although it took me until 1998 to get it out of layaway due to family commitments at the time, not to mention my preference for hand drums ). If I'm correct, yours and mine are virtually identical--that is, the wine-red finish which, to me, looks very classy in almost any setting while not looking too trendy. And, for what I do, it looks good, sounds great, and was a good value for the money.

The only reason I haven't said anything about them up to now is that, to some drummers, Percussion Plus is to Hyundai as DW is to Cadillac, and you'd be amazed how some drummers can be so snobbish about a brand name. I am NOT dissin' any of my brother drummers here, but for a long time I was ashamed because I didn't have a "big name" kit to drop in drumkit discussions. And since I traded an older Slingerland kit (which frankly needed a restoration that I couldn't afford at that stage of my life), I second-guessed my decision for years.

Not anymore. As I've said in the past, a well-trained drummer can make a set of plastic buckets sound great, but a bad drummer can make an awesome set sound like trash (and I don't mean trash cymbals!).

You didn't say what kind of cymbals you got, man, but you can always upgrade them as your time and budget permit. And you can switch heads, too, as you develop your own style and sound. Enjoy those drums, bro' and--
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    SKWAM4--

This is the first time I've discussed my current kit at any length since I've been in DrumChat. And by "kit," I mean my 5-piece Percussion Plus (two up and one down plus snare) with Zildjian ZBT's! I bought the kit new in 1994 (although it took me until 1998 to get it out of layaway due to family commitments at the time, not to mention my preference for hand drums ). If I'm correct, yours and mine are virtually identical--that is, the wine-red finish which, to me, looks very classy in almost any setting while not looking too trendy. And, for what I do, it looks good, sounds great, and was a good value for the money.

The only reason I haven't said anything about them up to now is that, to some drummers, Percussion Plus is to Hyundai as DW is to Cadillac, and you'd be amazed how some drummers can be so snobbish about a brand name. I am NOT dissin' any of my brother drummers here, but for a long time I was ashamed because I didn't have a "big name" kit to drop in drumkit discussions. And since I traded an older Slingerland kit (which frankly needed a restoration that I couldn't afford at that stage of my life), I second-guessed my decision for years.

Not anymore. As I've said in the past, a well-trained drummer can make a set of plastic buckets sound great, but a bad drummer can make an awesome set sound like trash (and I don't mean trash cymbals!).

You didn't say what kind of cymbals you got, man, but you can always upgrade them as your time and budget permit. And you can switch heads, too, as you develop your own style and sound. Enjoy those drums, bro' and--
    I've got Zildjian and Camber cymbals.
    Everyone always laughs at mine when they first hear the name, but once they play them they are in aw and ing over the sound. It really gives them a kick when this little thing can sound just as good as their $1500 Superstar with some expensive everything. All these need is a bit of TLC and walla. You have a nice quality set.
    Drums:

User Info Menu

I too have a set of percussion plus drums in blue gloss finish. I got them for 200 dollars used, too. They are my first kit I've owned. I agree, they are very good for their price and are a fine kit to start with. I haven't even replaced the stock heads yet, and I plan to probably do that soon. Even with the stock heads they are resonant, they sound pretty good, and they are fun to play. Eventually I'll probably upgrade, but for now they are just fine. However, I agree, the cymbals are pretty bad... the hi-hats were a joke. However, I do still use the crash.

great review SKWA4! Percussion Plus drums are a great deal for an all around good set. They are by no means professional, but they still sound great for the price and get the job done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree137 View Post
    I too have a set of percussion plus drums in blue gloss finish. I got them for 200 dollars used, too. They are my first kit I've owned. I agree, they are very good for their price and are a fine kit to start with. I haven't even replaced the stock heads yet, and I plan to probably do that soon. Even with the stock heads they are resonant, they sound pretty good, and they are fun to play. Eventually I'll probably upgrade, but for now they are just fine. However, I agree, the cymbals are pretty bad... the hi-hats were a joke. However, I do still use the crash.

great review SKWA4! Percussion Plus drums are a great deal for an all around good set. They are by no means professional, but they still sound great for the price and get the job done.
    Yep like i said, they're great for the young beginner-intermediate drummer.
    And i agree. The cymbals break on the first hits lol. the high hats are made of something like tin and the crash doesn't sound like a crash, it sounds like a china lol. But i'm just glad it beats the pearl forum series.
    I used the heads for a while too. i just barely replaced them today and man with some good tuning and new heads these sound almost pro.
    The snare is the best cause it does sound pro. My friend digs it more than his Tama.

Peace,
    SKWM4
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Wow, now I can't wait to get some new heads! When I get new heads, I was thinking Remo 2ply coated vintage emperor's on tom/snare batter, and 1 ply clear ambassadors on reso heads. I'm not quite sure about the bass drum yet.

What heads did you get?

User Info Menu

I got pinstripes on the toms and a Remo Emporer X reverse dot on the snare with the stock bottom. After some moongel on the toms they sound great. It's frustrating to tune the first time though on the toms but it's great all the same because you get a great sound.

Cheers,
    SKWAM4
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Interesting- I'll consider the pinstripes and emperor X- thanks! I hope I can get my drums sounding as good as yours

User Info Menu

Check out the pics in my profile it is a percussion plus kit I bought the optional 8" and 10" toms with stand, took off the red wraps that it had and stained it red oak(lightly stained and no poly) and put on evans hydraulic heads I love this set! F/T

P.S. I like the wraps you have on that one!

User Info Menu

F.T. your drums look awesome with the wrap taken off and the red oak stain. And I didn't even know percussion plus sold the two extra toms- maybe I'll look into that later.

User Info Menu

That's looks like a pro grestch kit or something. nice work man
    Drums:

User Info Menu

If you're happy with your kit that's all that matters! Sounds like quite a good deal
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Yep. thx i did
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Here's how they sound with some nicer heads. I might go with coated G2's on the toms next time (pinstripes don't sound the best)
    It's ok. Just really bored more than anything. I just need to keep time.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeCNBqIDSLc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeCNBqIDSLc[/ame]
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree137 View Post
    F.T. your drums look awesome with the wrap taken off and the red oak stain. And I didn't even know percussion plus sold the two extra toms- maybe I'll look into that later.
    I think I payed like 250 for the two with the stand. F/T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    Check out the pics in my profile it is a percussion plus kit I bought the optional 8" and 10" toms with stand, took off the red wraps that it had and stained it red oak(lightly stained and no poly) and put on evans hydraulic heads I love this set! F/T

P.S. I like the wraps you have on that one!
    yep i know. everyone thinks they're purple for some reason
    THEY'RE STEEL GRAY!!!!!!
    Im thinking about doing the same thing you did with the stain and all. Makes them really look good.
    Drums:

User Info Menu

It incressed the sound dramaticlly, I tried to load a video of me playing them with evans hydraulic heads but it keeps denying me so if you want check out the vid it's on youtube under the page [ originals76 ]. F/T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    It incressed the sound dramaticlly, I tried to load a video of me playing them with evans hydraulic heads but it keeps denying me so if you want check out the vid it's on youtube under the page [ originals76 ]. F/T
    Nice man. Really good.
    Here's them with the new heads on
    Drums:

User Info Menu

I was amazed how good they sounded after I put on new heads. F/T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by somekidwithanm4 View Post
    Nice man. Really good.
    Here's them with the new heads on
    Cool. I do recommend untilting your toms though, they're at a bit of an extreme angle.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^