Thread: Drum solo by me.

User Info Menu

Default Drum solo by me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM5GoOOquaI"]YouTube - Zack and Cookie Monster at Carnegie Hall[/ame]

Why do you guys think?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum solo by me.

Not bad Zack. I like the variation around the kit. I would suggest using a metronome to help even out the solo just a bit. Keep it up Zack!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nice. I can tell Buddy Rich is a big influence on you.

BTW, the cookie monster really helps the solo

User Info Menu

Zach...I enjoyed that and was pleasantly surprised. You have a lot of "Swing" in your playing. You showed all who will view just how easy it really is to sit down and play. Obviously, you have a tune in your mind and you flesh it out around the kit...EXCELLENT! Now, a few pointers, if I may: You play consistently and need to learn how to back off a bit and let the playing sound even better. Think of it as I do, like an overgrown shrub that will be all the more beautiful after I prune it back. I can listen to what I am doing and concentrate on what stick pattern may emerge as I play. How many times have surprised ourselves when we hear something we never quite did before. See what I mean? As you get more comfortable doing this, you'll find that you will introduce other styles of playing...Latin, funk etc. and it's all going to flow together. Also, never think you have to play one consistent tempo...vary yourself while you are playing. I will play at your Swing tempo and then turn in into a slow Steve Gadd groove but it still retains the same tempo w/o the feel of it. That's what we need to know how to do...imply metric changes within our playing. Kevin, DWdrmmr, is Master at that. So, my young friend... a tip of my Hat to you...Great!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Bob, thanks. I've just started to really use my hi-hat for keeping the beat and my left foot is a little weak. I DEFINITELY hear the tempo issues.

Maine, yep huge influence. Lots of Krupa in there (snare stuff).

Fia (may I call you Frank?), I am really glad to hear good words from you since it seemed like I put the wrong view of me out there in the beginning. The song in my head is something I can't remember, I was thinking of a swing along the lines of this tune I heard Philly Jo Jones do with Monk (it's one of the first videos you find of Jo on YouTube). That and maybe "Sing, Sing, Sing." I LOVE that song and copy it a lot. I took all my extra drums away (used to be a seven piece) so I could simplify my playing. I did a little, and I need to do it even more. Playing drums is almost like working out in a way to me, too. When I get that all out of my system I am ready to really set down a groove, but I LOVE to do fills that really help the music. I don't like a simple beat. As long as the complicated stuff WORKS is what counts. Thanks again, really!!!

User Info Menu

Zack, I do want to say that I liked what I heard, and wish that I had started playing when I was your age. I also like that you just love it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Well thanks man! It's hard not to love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Zach...I enjoyed that and was pleasantly surprised. You have a lot of "Swing" in your playing. You showed all who will view just how easy it really is to sit down and play. Obviously, you have a tune in your mind and you flesh it out around the kit...EXCELLENT! Now, a few pointers, if I may: You play consistently and need to learn how to back off a bit and let the playing sound even better. Think of it as I do, like an overgrown shrub that will be all the more beautiful after I prune it back. I can listen to what I am doing and concentrate on what stick pattern may emerge as I play. How many times have surprised ourselves when we hear something we never quite did before. See what I mean? As you get more comfortable doing this, you'll find that you will introduce other styles of playing...Latin, funk etc. and it's all going to flow together. Also, never think you have to play one consistent tempo...vary yourself while you are playing. I will play at your Swing tempo and then turn in into a slow Steve Gadd groove but it still retains the same tempo w/o the feel of it. That's what we need to know how to do...imply metric changes within our playing. Kevin, DWdrmmr, is Master at that. So, my young friend... a tip of my Hat to you...Great!
    Frank, you are a fountain of knowledge my friend!! Everytime you post, I learn something...I hope others do as well!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks Red...I really try to encourage effort with all of my Posts.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Thanks Red...I really try to encourage effort with all of my Posts.
    You are most welcome brother. I am not like so many of you with the technical knowledge of all things drum. A lot of the time I wish I could be more help, which is why I'm glad you are a member here!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Yep he's the man!

User Info Menu

Absolutely agreed guys. I too learned a great deal from that post. Thanks Frank! You make a difference my friend!

User Info Menu

great solo! I agree with frank that you have a "swing" in your style- it seems sort of jazzy. Just wondering, how long you been playing?

nice job

User Info Menu

Thanks man!!! I'm really big on Krupa so I try to have that swing, especially with the hi-hat but I LOVE rock drummers, too, so I have that in there. I try to morph it. I have been playing since I was four, and I am sixteen now. So twelve years? But I didn't do lessons until I was eight and I only did AT THE MOST a year, and this was scattered over the years. Only recently have I decided to go back for lessons.

User Info Menu

Nice

User Info Menu

You have a very awesome drum face
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Thanks dudes! And, I can't help that face :-D

User Info Menu

Sorry about bumping this thread, but I really loved the words Frank gave me in this post.

User Info Menu

word man you sound like you've got good roots. and a good cookie monster. KEEP PLAYING FOREVER

Jimmy

www.youtube.com/jimmykadesch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Sorry about bumping this thread, but I really loved the words Frank gave me in this post.
    Thanks, I needed that!

And good job to you, too, young man! I can't speak near what Frank did so I won't bother embarassing myself.

Keep up the work and it'll pay off!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Keep it up man!

User Info Menu

Keep up the good work!