Thread: Tom Frustrations #2

User Info Menu

Default Tom Frustrations #2

Just got some new pinstripes and a new emporor X snare in the mail this morning. I love pinstripes. I fell in love with them at school. They're on our pearl forum at school and they're so easy to tune and they stay in tune. They kill all overtones greatly!! Even with no moon gel on them
    I took out the pack that i got and flipped on the snare head. Tuned it up. Fine tuning and all only took about 30 minutes and there's almost no overtones. Sounds great with a nice snap
    That's about the opposite of the new pinstripes. These newer pinstripes overtone to the devil and will not tune to a pitch correctly. It could be because my reso heads are trash and need replacing, but even with them off they still have too many OT's.
    I'm no master at tuning (definately not lol) but these things won't take a note. I'm sorry to say, but i don't have the money for a DTS right now and tuned my older pinstripes (and the ones at school) in a flash with great sound and no OT's. Maybe the quality has just gone downhill.
    IDK. Any tips would be appreciated. tried everything i've found on the forum so far.
    I did wipe down each drum before i put them on.
    This is happening with all 3 of them, not just one, so it's not a defect
    Last edited by somekidwithanm4; 07-30-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Frustrations #2

Hey sorry. I figured it out it's all good. I was tuning both heads too tight. with them lower ( and a bit of temporary muffleing on them ) they're much better.
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal

User Info Menu

Did you stretch the heads by compression before tuning? It's not reasonable to expect out of the box tuning w/o tweaking the heads on to the drums. The reso heads are as important, if not more so, as the batter heads. Pinstripes, double ply 10ml heads, reduce the overtones as you said...so, what kind of tune and tone do you expect?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Yep i did. i forgot to mension that. i expect a lower, flatter sound
    Drums:

User Info Menu

I have Pinstripes on my toms and I don't like them very much. They're too dead and plasticy. I think I'm going to try coated G2's next time.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I have Pinstripes on my toms and I don't like them very much. They're too dead and plasticy. I think I'm going to try coated G2's next time.
    I can agree. I don't know why the ones at my school sound so much better. Maybe it's cause they're older and have been played more
    Idk. Anyways here's how my drums sound. Sorry my camera don't like the bass too much haha XD
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeCNBqIDSLc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeCNBqIDSLc[/ame]
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Where did you get those gong-toms?

User Info Menu

Remo Pinstripes = Evans G2's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
    Where did you get those gong-toms?
    sorry. i can be dumb at times. what u mean?
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by somekidwithanm4 View Post
    I can agree. I don't know why the ones at my school sound so much better. Maybe it's cause they're older and have been played more
    Idk. Anyways here's how my drums sound. Sorry my camera don't like the bass too much haha XD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeCNBqIDSLc
    That's similar to what mine sound like. Except mine sound a little better

Frank, Remo Pinstripes = Evans EC2. Remo Emperor = Evans G2.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Ah...Thanks, Yohin!!

User Info Menu

SK, the toms sound like the resonant heads are tuned lower than the batter heads giving you are boingy sound. Try tuning the batter and the resonant heads to the same pitch and see if it sounds any better to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    SK, the toms sound like the resonant heads are tuned lower than the batter heads giving you are boingy sound. Try tuning the batter and the resonant heads to the same pitch and see if it sounds any better to you.
    Thx. The resos are actually tuned higher, but the previous owner of the set switched the resos and batters (they were extremely dented because they were single ply stock) so now i have terrible resos. They'll be replaced asap. that's the problem
    Thx for the info anyways PB
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by somekidwithanm4 View Post
    Thx. The resos are actually tuned higher, but the previous owner of the set switched the resos and batters (they were extremely dented because they were single ply stock) so now i have terrible resos. They'll be replaced asap. that's the problem
    Thx for the info anyways PB

Clear Ambassadors work great under Pinstripes. That's the combo I use.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

yep i just ordered those today.
    Drums:

User Info Menu

Once i get the new heads, i'm going to start tuning again. Hopefully this time i can get them right.
    Drums:

User Info Menu

I have a quick question. What do they mean by tuning toms a third or fourth lower? Does that include sharps and flats?
    Drums:

User Info Menu

the only toms that should have reduced overtones to a drastic degree are the floor toms. for my biggest toms, on top i use a coated g2 with an evans e-ring(to mimic the properties of an ec2 or pinstripe) and on bottom i use a clear g2 with no sound ring. if you think this is unusual, it's starting to get popular with a few people looking for a less boomy floor tom and more of a drier shorter sustained one. for my rack toms i use a coated g2 over a clear remo cs(this helps me get a lower tone, lightly muffled, but still have the projection of a single ply clear reso.) due to the natural sound qualities of my drums, its not as muffled of a sound as you would think, but rather i have found a certain balance in the drums. it makes for a unique sound that i can control a little better, but pleasing to the ear. for the snare i use coated g1 over a coated g1 or even g2 sometimes(its generally always coated/coated snare combos for me), but i take a knife and cut into the reso half an inch away from the wires on each side parallel with them, but i dont make a hole. it has interesting effects, and is always fun to try different things every now and then.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

your toms at school are probably dead. they have been tuned and tightend so much they hold a residual note...like every album you hear from 1968. All the toms sound the same...they didnt change heads often back then and the drummers didnt know better. Same thing here, you dont know any better so you dont think toms should sound that way. Overtones are a blessing from god. They cover your mistakes and allow you split second reaction time to cover yourself.

overtones help drummer more than they hurt. They sound pretty too...maybe not to you sitting behind the drums playing to an ipod, but with a full band going you wont notice the overtones a bit and it will make you sound like a better player if you have them.

a perfect example is i worked a gig a while back...the opener had a golf ball size mound of tape and wadding muting his snare drum. Secretly just before they played i removed it as a joke and they played the show the same way they had previously. their label rep was in the audience that night and commented that we was seeing a whole new drummer that night and asked if they had hired someone new....nope same drummer

User Info Menu

I agree with the above... even with pinstripes you want some overtones and resonance or you won't cut through the mix when playing with a band... things that sound great when your banging on your kit by yourself (dead toms) don't always sound so hot live.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

try powerstrokes for the rack toms, but pinstripes on the floor tom and bass perhaps
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments