Thread: Looking for Marching snare

User Info Menu

Default Looking for Marching snare

Where is a good place to find a marching snare??
    Ive looked at some places online, like musicians friend, just to find out id be paying over 600 bucks just to get a good one.

I would like a Pearl, but almost any brand will do as long as it gives me a nice tone.

Im going to be using it with my drum set for just a few songs that have marching rythums in them, which is why i dont want to spend a ton of money on it.

Can anyone help me out?
    Life, like drumming, is only as good as you make it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for Marching snare

Finding a used one on ebay will be your best bet. Marching equipment is very expensive new, but they seem to depreciate a lot more than drum set components. A marching snare is not exactly a hot item, so you can probably find one on ebay for a good deal.

User Info Menu

Yamaha. Get a yamaha. The crappiest yamaha is better than any pearl. If you want a great sounding snare, then I'd go for an sfz. If you don't want the problem of weight, get dynasty.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

IMHO I would say do not buy an sfz or any yamaha or pearl. I havent checked but in my days of searching websites and videos and just plain watching drumlines I have never seen an indoor marching snare from either of those companys, not on youtube any webstore ive been to or live. What is a indoor snare? Its basically a smaller snare drum used in indoor percussion or wgi (winter guard international). You dont want an out door marching snare because there big and very loud meant to be heard by people in out door football fields. An indoor snare will not be as loud since its meant for smaller inclosed areas like basketball courts and in finals indoor stadiums the size of hockey stadiums. Also indoors means the sound will bounce of walls and not float of like outdoors so a smaller snare would be better for you since you probably play inside (except for the occasional outdoor gig but even then it wont be a huge stadium and youll be all miced up).

Some companys that make indoor snares are dynasty and premier.
    I would check out a used dynasty wedge snare since there small and have the sound your looking for.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

thanks guys for all the help.
    Life, like drumming, is only as good as you make it.

User Info Menu

No problem.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

craigslist

User Info Menu

I'm not entirely sure craigslist helps. He's deciding WHAT to buy, not where to get it.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

brknsgnfcnc whew! lol .....drummer.....I sent you an interesting PM about a drum that's on eBay. Even if you don't want to buy it the drum is pretty cool just to look at.

fyi
    Last edited by kona; 08-21-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    Gary