Thread: Quick stick question.

User Info Menu

Default Quick stick question.

Ignoring the amazing phonetical resonance that title has, I just noticed something interesting that I haven't made an empirical judgement on, despite my common knowledge in the area (or, I've finally realized why sometimes I'm not that good on the ol' skins).

A few days ago, I was playing at a good standard of skill and finesse, moving around the kit easily, e.t.c. Today, when I began to play, I noticed I was a lot sloppier and finding it harder to actually hit the drums in the same way as I usually do, and at the speeds I usually play at. Could have just been an off day. But, checking my sticks, it seems I've been afflicted with that dreadful condition of 'stick-tips-shattered-under-too-much-playingness'.

I've had this problem before; tips shatter, playing ability drops, get depressed, buy new sticks, get better, feel happy, repeat ad infinitum. But before then, I always thought it was more a psychological thing, believing you could play better because you had new equipment. Thing is, I had these sticks for like 3 months. Really good pair of sticks, I usually get some pretty shoddy ones that break easily, and I was playing really well with them. Then the second the tips are shattered, I find it a lot harder to play.

I really hate it when I take this hit in performance. I play wood stick because I like the natural feel; my previous experiences with nylon have varied drastically, with one pair lasting for a good amount of time, and the other smashing almost instantly. My question I am asking is, coming from those professional drummers, at what point does the condition of the stick affect overall performance, and what aspects of it's condition do you find to be the biggest contributor to it - the tip, the quality, weight e.t.c. Then, going on this, from a consumers point of view, what's more preferable; durability in the stick, or playability? Or, in other words...
    Nylon or wood tipped? Which lasts longer.

As usual, ANY feedback would help. I'm on a budget here, so I need your kind words o' wisdom. Let it be swift in replies and comments. Ta.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Quick stick question.

Dont like nylon tips never have . Wood all the way for me. I find that my acorn tips outlast my sticks. But could just be me.

User Info Menu

Ya know i had this same question..i have always used wood but decided to buy some nylon to see what indeed the effect would be in sound..( mostly cymbals ) and to my surprise...not a whole heck of of lot....so its going to be wood for me!!! plus i think they do last longer than nylon...plastic if you will..CAN get brittle with the slightess climatic condition changes.( hot and dry storage area ) well un-officially anyway...
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I've been in the same boat as you in several of the ways you mentioned: suddenly feeling "off," different experiences with nylon tips, and a tight budget. Personally, I don't believe the condition of the stick makes that much of a difference. At the moment I'm in the stage of using up what's left of my sticks that haven't broken before breaking down and buying new ones. This has left me playing with a 5A Jeff Ryder signature (nylon tipped) in my right hand and a Walmart first act 5B (Wood tipped; smashed) in my left. Even playing like this I don't notice that much of a drop in playing, and I NEVER feel it after a smashed tip. This may very well be different than you, but that's just how it is for me.

Stricly discussing nylon tips, I have a sort of love-hate relationship with them. When the top end breaks, I usually don't find it to be the actual head that's smashed, but rather the very tip cut off from a stray cymbal hit. In my experience, I have never seen a nylon tip itself actually smashed. In terms of playability, sometimes I like the extra bounce they give, but sometimes I like to really sink into the drum. They'll definetely give you a different sound as well, especially on cymbals.

In conclusion, if I were you I would isolate more variables to try and determine whether it really is the smashed tips that are bringing you down. It could be something as simple as not being fully warmed up! Also, if your budget allows, try buying a pair of wood tips and nylon tips so you can play them one right after the other to really see what YOU like best. Hope this helps!
    -CMP

User Info Menu

I did do the nylon vs wood test a while ago; I got given a free pair of nylons with the wood sticks I bought. Surprisingly, the nylons held up pretty well, and I got some good speed going with them, but they ultimately snapped way before these wooden ones I'm using now. My playing is getting better; might just be lack of inspiration on my part, haven't been challenged in a while. I do think you play better with new sticks, but that's obvious really. Thanks for your input.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...