Thread: Open up your fret board

User Info Menu

Default Open up your fret board

I created this method of improvising with scale for guitar and bass. I use it to play melody's and leads to music on the radio as well as jamming. The basic idea is that I am only using five scales(I know there's more) but for a basic introduction into how related all this is I will post it in multiple keys. The thing to understand is that the five scales are the always connected 1 2 3 4 5, #1 being the major scale in every key. the five formations will always remain in order 1 2 3 4 5 or 2 3 4 5 1 or 3 4 5 1 2 or 4 5 1 2 3 or 5 1 2 3 4, I have been told that this in redundant( which I agree) but sometimes it helps an induvidual to see it in few different approaches. [DISCLAMIER] I know that there are alot more methods than this and by now means am I saying this is the only way, That being said I have showed many people you to play lead in a very short period of time with this method and have even brought tears to my dads eyes. He never thought he would understand scales but in a 1/2 hr he was improvising to his hearts desire. I hope it helps someone here. F/T
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Default Re: Open up your fret board

The third set of scales is in the key of A/F#m It was cut off at the top for some reason. The top of each page is a master call for that key(pentotnic) and the dark notes are the root note for that key. F/T

User Info Menu

This is cool, thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

Hey taz been a while since i crossed your path, Hope all is well. Do you play guitar? F/T

User Info Menu

FT,

All is well, been very busy but I always try to find a tad bit of time to drop in and say hello to the folks at DC. I am awaiting your next vid post. You have talent and I enjoy your music.

User Info Menu

FT-
    Wow! That's incredible... I've been hackin' away like a dummy and finally
    given in to the fact that I'd better get just some of that busy with learning
    scales. Sheez... I can talk to ya seriously about fumble. I will sure try this
    tho. I hate to set timetables but, I'm gettin' bored with just hackin' around
    ya know... Thanks so very much!!!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Hey Taz I am working on recording tracks to my music and hope to post some soon. Glad to here life is good and yes life is busy these days. thanks for the comps on the music it sure is nice to here a praise now and then. I changed my youtube page to [originals76].

Hey drummerbychoice feel free to ask questions I know the pages look a little confusing but when you grasp it you are going to excell quite fast. I record chord patterens in length and then listen to them while I practice leads. Above all just learn the five shapes in one key(I use the key of C/Am the most) once you have the scales memorized they will be the same in ever key, I just depends on where your #1 is that signifies the key.

A cool scale run is located on the third sheet to the right(it will work in every key just start on the 4th scale it slides into the 5th then the first. I will stop babbling now,lol. F/T
    Last edited by fumbled time; 08-01-2009 at 08:32 PM.

User Info Menu

FT-
    Thanks, I wouldn't know a "key" if it bit me... I've never read a note of music in my life.
    I know that's a rotten thing to say. I've been working on the G-major scale..?(1st position), A-minor pentatonic scale/blues scale..? I promise ya' the only reason I can tell you this is because I wrote it down. It's all backward and upsidedown to me. Seriously. When someone speaks of moving "up" the neck, I'm goin' huh..? That's down. Like with your figure of the guitar, The low E is on bottom..? I won't quit on it, No way! I give ya' my word, Once I break down what you have here it will hopefully make much more sense to me. I can't thank you enough! I've really been waiting for this very thing to come up. Thanks!!!! Drumchat, This place is INCREDIBLE!!!

User Info Menu

Not a prob. I asked for people to explain things like this to me for years and never got a straight answer, Just be patient and enjoy. If you know your G major scale then you already know all the number one scales on my diagrams I just wrote them pentatonicly. If you notice the front of one scale is the back of another, or if you lifted all of the 5 shapes up to the top of the page you have the master scale(which is what the top of each page already is I just brought each one down indavidually). my favorite one is #2 I like how you can dance on the bottom three strings(G B and high E)Also peactice each scale forward and backwards they say they are easier to learn backwards(forward "accending" backwards "decending") lol All for fun! F/T

User Info Menu

Here's a few arpeggio's and a page of this method for the four strimg bass in C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

FT, I appreciate this as well. I have always been a chord player, but I have been wanting to work on scales. Unfortunately, I have been a bit overwhelmed by the thought of scales, so I have been putting off beginning. I will look this over carefully, and hopefully make enough sense out of it to get started. Thanks!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

FT-
    Great! Yes sir, Been told to move thru them forward and backward. As well as, Hammer on/off and dbl/trpl. Sheez, Nothin' like a plate full huh... Thanks so much!!!

User Info Menu

Here is a ruff cut of the G/Em scale also the second sheet on the post.[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrRhKqi5w0"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrRhKqi5w0[/ame]
    Last edited by fumbled time; 08-04-2009 at 11:20 PM.

User Info Menu

FT-
    Well look at you! Nice job buddy, You got this goin'
    your way... I'm sure tryin' to work on this stuff. I
    know you're supposed to do this everyday to begin
    to build a resemblence of proficiency, Shew! Just
    beginning to see where this would come into play.
    I just can't wander too far with anything by any
    means. Ya' hear it and you know there's something
    there, But, The mind has yet to get on track. I take
    my hat off to you guys that can play, Alot easier
    said than done, No two ways about it!

User Info Menu

Hey DbC I disagree on the doing it everyday that always bored me to death. I only knew these scale indavidually untill about a year ago when it clicked and I wrote them in the order you see. This is a life long enjoyment so just go slow and enjoy. No need to worry about key right now thats what the 1 2 3 4 5 order is for so you see that the scales just loop and never leave the numbers they are connected to 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, and to finish the loop 5 to 1. Am I rambling again? Anyway just have fun and before you know it it wil all make sense. F/T

User Info Menu

Was showing a guy this method today and in minutes he was putting me to shame, Man could he wail. I quit,LOL! F/T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    FT, I appreciate this as well. I have always been a chord player, but I have been wanting to work on scales. Unfortunately, I have been a bit overwhelmed by the thought of scales, so I have been putting off beginning. I will look this over carefully, and hopefully make enough sense out of it to get started. Thanks!
    Hey PB any luck with the guitbox? Just came across this thread again in my posts archive, What's the tech approach? OH ya BUMP! F/T

User Info Menu

Good stuff, FT.

I might even take a crack at this.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Good stuff, FT.

I might even take a crack at this.
    Any questions on it just ask, once you get the concept it really takes off. F/T

User Info Menu

Any luck on with this guys? Has it helped any of you? F/T